The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-18-2015, 03:12 AM

Default electric players -- how long did it take you to get used to acoustic?

Basically what it says in the title. . .I've been playing electric guitars for about 20 years. I won't claim to be a 5 or 10 hour a day practice kinda guy or even close to that, but that's how long I've been playing.

Recently got a new acoustic, have had them before but never played 'em much.

If you started electric and got into acoustic later (even if you still play the electric), how long did it take you to get as proficient on the acoustic as you already were on the electric, or did you EVER get to that point? I'm talking about getting used to the feel of the acoustic, the action, thicker strings, etc.

Been playing this Taylor 114CE with 12s for about a month (yes I realize that is not long). Probably an hour-ish of play a day, if not more (I go through our song list every day, and as a show approaches will start trying to perfectly nail or at least acceptably screw up the songs we will actually play in our set). Still beatin up my fingers and I still miss notes with my fretting hand more than I'd like, especially on the higher frets (esp. past 12). Bar chords are murder after a very short time.

Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:50 AM

it is just a guitar I could do anything on it I could do on electric. right away
Old 01-18-2015, 06:29 AM

I am impressed. My experience has not been the same. Let me elaborate. . .use 10s on my Les Paul, pretty low action. Taylor has 12s and is about 3/32" on the low E and 2/32 on the high (low for an acoustic maybe, higher for an electric).
Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 AM

I'm a little different-started on nylon, went to electric, then, after 6 years, went to steel string while in high school-but my advice isn't much different than the previous post.

Same thing, different feel. To me it's just a matter of adjustment. Even today, while I okay mostly acoustic, I occasionally pick up my Strat. A bit awkward for a moment, then away we go.

So I guess my real advice is, don't overthink this. Just play. It's really the nuances that are different, and you'll figure that out the more you play.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 AM

Started electric guitar in high school, now I'm 45. It wasn't til recently that I realized my acoustic playing was not going to get any better until I stopped playing all those electric guitar songs on it, and pick the right tool for the job (song)!

I can sound impressive on nylon but steel string acoustic takes me quite awhile to sound good, by then I'm too tired to play on. Maybe wise for me to switch to light gauge strings for awhile.

I've been in the practice makes perfect mode for a long time on acoustic guitar.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 AM

I'm in the same boat. I find that playing acoustic guitar is like playing a completely different instrument.

The techniques are different - you can't expect to play acoustic guitar like an electric. Fretting and picking/plucking technique needs to be adapted.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM

let me add any acoustic I play is fingercandy so it has great action. but all techniques work on both instruments and the bass also.. I use flamenco on the bass and electric . I can play shredding neo classical passages with the pick on a acoustic. I really do not understand the problem some people here have using guitar techniques on certain guitars. no difference really between the 2 except a acoustic you can get good percussion sound thumping on the body. and tone can be different. I think some players who only play the acoustic want to have some kind of elitist myth going on like they are better than electric guitar players. the truth is a guitar neck is a guitar neck. the only technique that is hard for me is it is hard to do slap bass the way I do slap and apply it to standard guitar ie 6 string.

Last edited by EoE; 01-18-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM

It may be a skill level thing. TRUST ME, there is a difference in feel. I have to concentrate a lot harder and make sure I am actively PRESSING on the strings to make sure I'm fretting hard enough on an acoustic to avoid dead notes or buzz, bends are much harder, etc. etc.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Hi Funny…

I teach fingerstyle, and the students I have which are switching from electric (usually not replacing electric, just adding acoustic) vary in the time it takes them to adjust.

Essentials are:
  • Good setup with low action at first.
  • I start electric players with .011 strings (custom lights) to start to be perhaps bumped up to .012 later.

Otherwise they are just gutting it out and in pain.

Also, I have them practice in 10-15 minute 'rounds' as their hands adjust, rather than half hour or hour sessions. Less likely to burn out and avoid playing altogether.

At most a month and most are up and running just fine.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-18-2015, 07:23 PM

I did think about going down to 11s, but felt it was a little silly/wussified, also (and more importantly) of course thins out the sound of the guitar more. I may give in and do it ultimately but I wanna hold out for a while, maybe try round-core strings first since they're supposed to have noticeably less tension at the same gauge. Again, as a more casual player who doesn't play hours a day, my callouses seem to disappear very quickly (if I don't touch it for even a few days), so may have to give in and ''gauge down" eventually.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 PM

learning fingerstyle is a new technique and would take a while to learn anyway even learning it on a electric and there is no problem playing classical or flamenco on electrics. moving to heavy strings does not make it any easer .. even on acoustics I like lite gauge strings. but my tech makes all my guitars feel the same.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 PM

That is my mistake for not clarifying. . .I am strictly a picker/plectrum user, rock background. So that's what I would be doing on the acoustic. I can play with my fingers, but at about 25% of the skill level. I may consider that for some of the gentler songs but would for the most part be using a pick.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 PM

no big deal man take it to a tech have the action set . and just forget it is a acoustic.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyScreenName View Post
That is my mistake for not clarifying. . .I am strictly a picker/plectrum user, rock background. So that's what I would be doing on the acoustic. I can play with my fingers, but at about 25% of the skill level. I may consider that for some of the gentler songs but would for the most part be using a pick.
Hi again Funny-etc…

If you drop strings a gauge and then use a thicker pick, and strum over the sound hole, you'll thicken the sound as well. A medium-heavy to heavy pick with a medium-heavy strum will let the guitar do the work of projecting.

Too many players think they have to hit it harder to make louder music, when there are other ways to skin that cat. I learned when framing (construction walls) that a heavier hammer with a larger head, swung with the same force as a light one with a tiny head, drove nails about twice as fast and was far less work.

Also it would be good if you start lightening up your touch (providing your action is setup low enough) and seeing how much force is actually needed to press notes. It's usually less once you settle in than you realize. We are supposed to be making music not wrestling with our instruments.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-18-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar…whew I had some doozies going there…
Old 01-18-2015, 10:58 PM

i found acoustic to definitely be harder than electric to play initially. i knew though that once things wouldn't hurt on acoustic i would fly on electric and for me it was basically like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write