The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jon...

For the song that was posted, simple Dropped D works fine…in fact it's pretty easy. I played it along with the video yesterday and it covers all the bases needed to execute the entire song.

The only change is playing the "C" in the progression on the 3rd fret of the 5th string instead of the 5th fret.

I've watched Jason play that song 'live' several places, and it's not always the same as the last time he played it. It has a fun little beat to it...

Sort of... different sounds - one of which is the use of fretted and non fretted strings giving same pitch sounding simultaneously.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jon...

For the song that was posted, simple Dropped D works fine…in fact it's pretty easy. I played it along with the video yesterday and it covers all the bases needed to execute the entire song.
Sure. I wouldn't claim the tuning he chose is the easiest or best one to play the song; and he stretches for some of those chords when he doesn't really need to. I guess he had his reasons.
I was only describing what he did, not supporting it .

I agree with you it works fine (if not better) in drop D - and it's OK in EADGBE too.

I also agree the rhythmic feel is the interesting and distinctive thing about this song. The chord sequence is just that standard cliche I-V-vi-IV (hello Axis of Awesome ) - but he makes it sound fresh.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
…it's OK in EADGBE too.
Hi Jon...

For me the low 'D' makes it better when used as sparingly as Jason does. Cannot hit that in standard.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Hey again. I wanted to refresh my memory about this song and you know I think it's pretty ingenious for me that Jason came up with such a weird tunning. He is more a singer than a guitarist. I know that such a tunning existed but how he could come up with the idea to make it so complicated? Is it all about experimenting? He's not profesionally educated musician and yet he always gets these difficult chord shapes. Maybe someone helps him?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM

I don't know what chords they are, but try this web, hope it helps you:

http://chordify.net/chords/jason-mra...icialjasonmraz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write