The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Collings C10 vs Huss Dalton Crossroad.......this is what they said

Hi Guys,

Some input here would be great. A local retailer has made the following comment and was wondering to hear what you think about it if these two were compared at stock standard with no custom options done to it.

"You would be correct in that the Collings C10 and the Huss and Dalton Crossroads are very similar in their tonal footprint, and historical perspective. That being said, the Huss and Dalton has a little different tonal aspect because of one major difference - the use of Adirondack Bracing on their instruments.

The Adi bracing is much stiffer than the standard Sitka bracing used on Collings models. When used in conjunction with the softer, mellower Sitka top, the Adi bracing provides more punch in the mid-range, a more poignant top end, and a more defined bass when compared the Sitka braced model.

The Huss and Dalton version is the closest thing to a "true" modern interpretation of the Pre-war Gibsons, in look and in tone."
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

Last edited by pandaroo; 09-11-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM

I hear, " These two sound different. You should try them both and decide which suits you better".
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM

FWIW, Collings build plenty of C10s with red spruce bracing as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM

The salesman may well believe all this deep in his heart. To me, it sounds like a lot of gibberish about wood that some of us may believe and some may not. I would expect these two guitars to have different tonal qualities, based on what I know about those two manufacturers. WHY they might be different is beyond my expertise. Let your ears be your guide, not gibberish.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

I wish i could let my ears decide, I'd have to fly across the country to the other side and try it. I have had so much success making my own judgement based on feedback from fellow AGF members when buying unseen and unplayed, that is why I posed this question here in the AGF.

Some of my blind purchases that I was really happy with include a Taylor GC5, Rainsong Concert series, Voyage Air guitar, and my recent Huss and Dalton. Feel free to drop in any comments, i am happy to take risks which I have done so a few times in the past.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Guitars are strange, you know. The "best" guitar to someone might not suit your needs at all. That said, I feel like you can't go wrong with either one. I actually played a C10 recently and really enjoyed it!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
I wish i could let my ears decide, I'd have to fly across the country to the other side and try it. I have had so much success making my own judgement based on feedback from fellow AGF members when buying unseen and unplayed, that is why I posed this question here in the AGF.

Some of my blind purchases that I was really happy with include a Taylor GC5, Rainsong Concert series, Voyage Air guitar, and my recent Huss and Dalton. Feel free to drop in any comments, i am happy to take risks which I have done so a few times in the past.
The fact is though that these are high end blind purchases, so chances are you're going to be happy with them no matter what anyone says. If you ended up buying the H&D, you'll be happy you made the choice. If you buy the Collings, you'll be glad you did. They'll both be the right choice. The only way you can go wrong is if you bought a Gibson.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

I find that to be an interesting comment. Are you saying that neither guitar has any changes at all to the standard options? I have found, like JoeCharter said, that one of the most common options I have seen on Collings is to change the bracing to Adi. And while I think that change makes a difference, it doesn't dramatically change the sound of the guitar. The degree of change may also depend upon what the choice of top wood is.

I have not played the Crossroads, but I have played a number of C-10s and have liked them very much and think they are excellent guitars. You haven't indicated wood combinations and that makes a large difference. I think the all-mahogany C-10 is quite a different guitar from the rosewood/sitka combination.

Since you can't fly across country to hear them, why can't the retailer make audio or audio/video clips to let you compare? It wouldn't be as good as being there, but it would be a lot better than buying one without ever hearing it.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 AM

Very tough decision as they will both have their merits.

I own an L-00 style guitar, a Collings and a H&D but my L-00 is made by UK luthier Dave King L-00. It has a very authentic sound if that's what you are after and i have compared it to 30's Gibson L-00's and a century of progress model.

Some pics and info (not mine)

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...e#.UFBXIq4wqOU

Vid of the Dave King L-00 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBaT7ds7Yy8

In terms of Collings and H&D they are both top notch. If being blind i'd go for the H&D as they have a more classic look and i like smaller company's.... Then i'd pick up the Collings in a year or two o course and add it to the collection

Good luck!!!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 AM

They had me at "... a more poignant top end."
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beauty View Post
the fact is though that these are high end blind purchases, so chances are you're going to be happy with them no matter what anyone says. If you ended up buying the h&d, you'll be happy you made the choice. If you buy the collings, you'll be glad you did. They'll both be the right choice. the only way you can go wrong is if you bought a gibson.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
They had me at "... a more poignant top end."
that was the deal breaker for me - i definitely like my top end to be stirring, profoundly emotional, and with hints of pathos, but not pungently saccharine, especially in a smaller guitar.

(sorry, pandaroo, that's all i got)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Hi Guys,

Some input here would be great. A local retailer has made the following comment and was wondering to hear what you think about it if these two were compared at stock standard with no custom options done to it.

"You would be correct in that the Collings C10 and the Huss and Dalton Crossroads are very similar in their tonal footprint, and historical perspective. That being said, the Huss and Dalton has a little different tonal aspect because of one major difference - the use of Adirondack Bracing on their instruments.

The Adi bracing is much stiffer than the standard Sitka bracing used on Collings models. When used in conjunction with the softer, mellower Sitka top, the Adi bracing provides more punch in the mid-range, a more poignant top end, and a more defined bass when compared the Sitka braced model.

The Huss and Dalton version is the closest thing to a "true" modern interpretation of the Pre-war Gibsons, in look and in tone."
Translation: Higher profit margin on the H&D

Other than that, if you are considering either of them, make sure they're both in stock, and have them handed to you while blindfolded, but only if you're seriously considering them based on the sound quality AS YOU PERCEIVE IT.

Talk is cheap, and if you are blessed with eye-sight, then looks count as well.

HE
It Ain't Necessarily So: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM

I own a Collings OM with adirondack bracing and I'm convinced the adi bracing makes a difference, but I bought the guitar because I liked the way it sounded, not because of what wood the bracing was made of.

I've played Collings guitars with adi bracing and without back to back, and I agree with the description the salesguy gave you (except for the "poignant" top end). All things being equal, adi does add punchiness, but with guitars things are almost never equal. And not all players even want more punchiness. Adi has a characteristic tone, but it makes a guitar sound different, not (necessarily) better.

My guess is that these 2 guitars sound different. One's not "better" than the other; they're just different.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

My Collings C10 is the base model with Sitka. It is the only Sitka-topped guitar I own, and it also has the most focused and powerful tone of all the guitars I own. It took about 6 months for the bass to show up and round out the tone but I will say that it holds its own in terms of both tone and projection with any of the "modern" guitars I own. It is my guitar of choice when doing lead playing in a purely acoustic context. It also has a ridiculously good-looking sunburst.

I just wanted to add that I wasn't looking to buy it when I played it, but once I started playing it I kept playing it for over a hour and finally bought it. I was really looking for an OM-1A at the time.

Last edited by soma5; 09-12-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Had more to say.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion