The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 AM

Default Question regarding soundhole pickups

I have a recently acquired Epiphone AJ-500 that I absolutely love. After living with it for about a week or so, I have to say it is a phenomenal guitar that just gets better every time I play it.

I'm considering a soundhole pickup, for a lot of reasons that I won't get into -- just know I'm likely leaning that direction. My question is pretty simple. If I get an M1A or an M80 and I "hard wire" it with the 1/4" jack, if I want to remove the pickup, is there any reason to be concerned about the wiring flopping around inside the guitar or do I have to pull the jack/wire and install an oversize endpin? Does anyone secure the cable to the top or bracing (this strikes me as a bad idea, but I know a lot of very nice guitars have all sorts of wiring stuck throughout)? I prefer not to have the cable hanging out the front of the guitar live since I don't want to step on and risk damaging the guitar.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 AM

I don't think you "NEED" to worry,, it probably wont even be noticed if you put the wire towards the bottom.

I put Fishman Infinity Matrix pickups in my 78 yari and my 2005 Taylor GS

The wires are fixed to the side with some (provided) clips that use double sided tape. the battery holder is attached to the inside of the heal block with some heavy duty velcro

so I guess you could look for something similar?

btw. the fishman infinity matrix pickup is pretty darn good if you're at all interested in going that route. I think it sounds better than the fishman system that came stock with my Taylor 314CE.

I found a guy to install the ones I bought, I think he only hit me up for like 50 bucks for each one.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 AM

Thanks! I might try attaching the cable to the side. I think where I attach it will depend on which side of the pickup has the connector, but that's a great idea.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 AM

Attach the cable with the wire-stays to the side. You can use a small drop of superglue on the wire stays if you like. They never stay attached without it.
No problem with the wire inside the guitar. You can reach in the sound hole and adjust it so it does not hit the top or back of the guitar.
davidc
Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Attach the cable with the wire-stays to the side. You can use a small drop of superglue on the wire stays if you like. They never stay attached without it.
No problem with the wire inside the guitar. You can reach in the sound hole and adjust it so it does not hit the top or back of the guitar.
davidc
Awesome - thanks!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM

I bought an M1a from someone on the forum (thanks Gene!). Got it installed with one wire stay and it is solid as a rock. I haven't tried it with the pickup out and honestly I probably won't. It's kind of a pain to take off and put on and it seems to be fine just keeping it installed.

Great pickup by the way. I can't wait to try it through a proper PA and board.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Guest23343

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garner View Post
I bought an M1a from someone on the forum (thanks Gene!). Got it installed with one wire stay and it is solid as a rock. I haven't tried it with the pickup out and honestly I probably won't. It's kind of a pain to take off and put on and it seems to be fine just keeping it installed.

Great pickup by the way. I can't wait to try it through a proper PA and board.
I like the M1A p'ups a lot! I also use the Fishman Rare Earth Blend, and prefer it over the M1A, but it's not as easy to pop out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification