The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Default The Emerald Flow Bass Has Landed

After doing a lot of research last winter I decided I wanted a lighter bass to gig with. I have owned Fenders', G&Ls', Music Mans' and a Carvin. The Carvin is the only light weight in the bunch at 8 Lbs. They are all fine guitars. I have several G&Ls', my favorite being an M2500, but unfortunately it is 10 lbs and I am approaching 73 years.

This is a fairly long story so fast forward if your not interested.

On January 13 2015 I called Michael at MacNichols and placed an order for an Emerald Flow Bass 5 string. It is a Carbon Fiber bass and was advertised at about 7 lbs. Given everything else about the bass this seemed like a good choice. In March Michael informed me about his upcoming closure and he forwarded my down payment to Alistair at Emerald.

On the 31s of March I started communicating with Alistair and verified everything about the order. I was also informed initially that the build wait was 3 to 4 months.

In early May, Alistair informed me that they felt they needed to make a new mold and that there would be some changes incorporated in the guitar. I agreed that this was what I wanted, especially with the new changes.

It took a fair amount of time to build a new mold but I was informed as things progressed and my build was started in mid August. The anticipation was building. I was informed about 3 weeks ago the build was complete. About a week ago it was shipped by Mail and delivered by USPS this morning.

The box showed a bit of damage but nothing serious. Upon opening I discovered it was packed in a Hiscox case, thanks Alistair, as the standard is an Emerald Gig bag. The aluminum frame was bent a bit from an impact on the bottom but was easy to straighten with a bit of care. Upon opening the case I was amazed!

Now to the guitar. It is absolutely flawless. The neck, stainless frets and finish is impeccable. Even the carbon weave is perfect all over. The setup was exactly as I requested and my initial check playing it verified what I was seeing. I will be gigging this in a couple of weeks but the weight and balance of this bass couldn't be better. Even though it was a long wait (especially for a guy my age) it was well worth it. Keep in mind that their primary business is building acoustic guitars. Thanks again to Alistair and crew for a stellar product. I couldn't be happier.-- Darwin

Edit, the weight is just a tad over 7 lbs.

Last edited by Darwin; 10-13-2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added weight.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

That's a very cool looking bass. I assume it's a solid body. Glad that Alistair was able to accomplish what you had hoped for. Hope it performs well in your live environment.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 PM

As a owner of 4 bass guitars and an Emerald T8, I gives this 2 thumbs-up and oh-my-god-what-a-hell-of-a-bass you got here!

(Will Emerald entertain a headless version??? Status Graphite, watch out...)
Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
As a owner of 4 bass guitars and an Emerald T8, I gives this 2 thumbs-up and oh-my-god-what-a-hell-of-a-bass you got here!

(Will Emerald entertain a headless version??? Status Graphite, watch out...)
Given Alistair's track record of novel custom instruments, it's certainly worth it to ask him. A headless bass would likely make it even lighter.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 AM

7lbs for a 5 string is very impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Given Alistair's track record of novel custom instruments, it's certainly worth it to ask him. A headless bass would likely make it even lighter.
Perhaps. Some of the headless bridge hardware tends to be heavier than regular bridges to the point that not much weight is saved. I think Hipshot's headless bridge is heavier than a regular bridge and tuners.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
7lbs for a 5 string is very impressive.

Perhaps. Some of the headless bridge hardware tends to be heavier than regular bridges to the point that not much weight is saved. I think Hipshot's headless bridge is heavier than a regular bridge and tuners.
If that is the case, would it feel lighter or heavier if the weight is shifted to the body rather than the end of the neck?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments. I did solicit the advice on this board back in January and had great feedback from you folks on Emerald. 5 string basses are heavy. I have a G&L Asat 4 string which is my lightest G&L and it is neck heavy. One of my concerns was balance especially on a 7 lb guitar. This bass is well balanced.

I spent some time playing it unplugged while Ginny was watching TV last evening. The feel is spectacular, feeling very similar to my G&Ls which have been my favorites in recent years. It is the easiest to play bass that I have owned as the action is very low along with about .008 relief in the fretboard. I may even raise the action a bit but I am going to use it a bit before deciding.

The build and finish are spectacular and for some reason, carbon fiber seems difficult to photograph. It is hard to capture the beauty in a photo. I will report on this after I have used it for a month or two but initial impressions are way above what I was expecting. After all, the price on this is just a bit above what an American Deluxe Fender or an American G&L go for and it is truly a custom build. -- Darwin
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 AM

Default The Emerald Flow Bass Has Landed

Beautiful bass
Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
If that is the case, would it feel lighter or heavier if the weight is shifted to the body rather than the end of the neck?
Weight is weight as far as a shoulder and lower back are concerned.

A balanced bass shouldn't notice any loss of weight from the headstock area, either.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:52 PM

That weave is so gorgeous in amber! I'm excited thinking about my 50th birthday purple X7 on order! Hope it's as spectacular as your bass!

GSmini Mahogany~Rainsong WS1000 Ser# 4641
Emerald X7~Pono Mango Tenor Ukelele
Cordoba Acero D10
Old 10-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OhioBelle That weave is so gorgeous in amber! I'm excited thinking about my 50th birthday purple X7 on order! Hope it's as spectacular as your bass!
Emerald does spectacular coloring but what impressed me the most is how perfectly the weave is aligned. And it really is a spectacular bass. I will probably sell a few of my others. Thanks and I hope you soon receive yours! -- Darwin
Old 10-26-2015, 01:37 PM

That is a gorgeous bass!!! Post some videos so we can hear it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber