The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Negative attitude hindering practice.

Ha ha, me griping again.

Ever try to practice something and it just doesn't seem to you like it would be humanly possible for you to ever get much better at it? In, say, a whole lifetime?

What if your life depended on it? Would that make it possible, to work hard enough to do it? Or would entertaining the very idea that your life depended on it make it just that much more frustrating...

A negative attitude is really making practicing a chore. A positive attitude would really be a help about now. Darn it - Where is that attitude "switch" so I can flip it?

Does anyone know what I mean? I'm not talking about something that's a little bit hard, I mean stuff that doesn't sound remotely musical or flowing when you play it, and you can't really figure out how you would improve it anywhere near an acceptable amount. Because it is just that hard for you.

I mean yeah, the elephant can practice ballet for hours on end, and maybe get a little better, but in the end, will the elephant ever really make it seem like a dance? Or is it a comedy?

This is really wierd, I know. I just wanted to escape from my cell, oops I mean practice room for a few minutes.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM

Well, I can't say I am surprised no one responds so far. It's a ridiculous post. See home I only made it 30 minutes practicing that time, in between visits to the computer. Back to it!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I have played with the same group of guys for almost 14 years. We practice almost every week for about 2-2.5 hours. What we have learned in that time is that there are nights when we are all gung-ho to work hard - and then there are nights when it's just time to laugh and fool around and be friends. It's all about "balance" that keeps this fun after all these years. Nobody is in a hurry to get anything "done before it is done".

Also - there have been times that we've actually bailed on a song we have been practicing. After so many hours (not that many) we know if we're making headway or not. If we're not - we move on to something else. We have a list of SO many songs we want to learn that we don't want to get hung up on what we would call a lost cause.

That also keeps it fun.

Good luck!

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Eric Skye

I’m sure whatever it is, you can probably concur it. Unless it’s some over the top fast thing that your particular muscle fibers are not made for ( which is fine, most over the top stuff sounds silly anyway) Or unless it’s some big stretching thing that your hands aren't big enough for... you can probably pull it off at some point. The question is will it still interest you when you finally get there?

I think the attitude switch is just realizing there is no end point, it’s an illusion. When you finally close in on something, another looms up on the horizon. You just have to tell yourself you like the process.... The trenches of metronomes, books, pencils, etc..... I’m actually happiest in front of a music stand grinding through something, but it wasn’t always that way for me. Also, it’s possible you might be working on something that required a few successes leading up to it. If you’re trying to, say, sight read something with five flats, it’s probably good to have tackled a few tunes with just two flats first. Add weight to the bar slowly, but learn to love the pain
Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 PM
just peeking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
A negative attitude is really making practicing a chore. A positive attitude would really be a help about now. Darn it - Where is that attitude "switch" so I can flip it?
A lot of times our negative attitude is caused by chronic fatigue or lack of energy if you will and there are those times in the day when you feel most tired. In this regard, it would be wise to choose the time of the day when you are your most productive, most alive if you like, to do your practising. In my case I do my practise at 9:30 to about 11 or if I choose to, I would sleep at 9 pm and wake at 5 am where I feel the best and practise till 7.

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 PM

You might wanna take a break.... go for walk or go kayaking maybe skydiving? just get away. And while the elephant will never be a great dancer in an objective way, if SHE feels good about her dancing maybe that is what counts!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM

Hey, I can totally relate to what you wrote!! One of the songs I've learned is kind of like that. Sometimes I can play it nearly perfectly (never "perfect") and other times I swear I hit every wrong note, even though I have been practicing this song for a few MONTHS now! And the new one I'm working on has 2 crazy barre chords that seem impossible to me. I've been working on it for a week and I still can't switch to these chords without a *long* break. The negative part of me says "No way am I ever going to be able to play it smoothly" but I figure if I keep at it enough I'll improve. It's hard to hang in there sometimes. Last night I was really negative (hence, my post in the Taylor forum about wanting to bash the guitar, LOL) but today I'm feeling better. I think when you get to that point it's best to walk away and do something else that gets you in a positive mood (for me, it was watching the last episode of "The Sopranos"!).
Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM

AGF is the best! I mean it. You guys really want to help, and I appreciate that, but I guess the best I can hope for is a distraction, because I can easily respond in the most hopeless of terms to any advise anyone can offer to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsender
I have played with the same group of guys for almost 14 years. We practice almost every week for about 2-2.5 hours. What we have learned in that time is that there are nights when we are all gung-ho to work hard - and then there are nights when it's just time to laugh and fool around and be friends. It's all about "balance" that keeps this fun after all these years. Nobody is in a hurry to get anything "done before it is done".

Also - there have been times that we've actually bailed on a song we have been practicing. After so many hours (not that many) we know if we're making headway or not. If we're not - we move on to something else. We have a list of SO many songs we want to learn that we don't want to get hung up on what we would call a lost cause.

That also keeps it fun.

Good luck!
But you see, I can't decide not to do these tunes. If only I had the choice to abandon one of these songs if I chose to. If only there were ever a night to laugh and just fool around. That is for after the degree is earned. I have been told that every night off is a step backwards, and it seems to be true. Two hours per week? I have been told two hours per day minimum. That hasn't been enough by a long shot. So I'm shooting for 4 per day now but usually most of it is unproductive because of my poor attitude. I do spend the whole day feeling bad about it, every day. Nothing fun about that.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5
I’m sure whatever it is, you can probably concur it. Unless it’s some over the top fast thing that your particular muscle fibers are not made for ( which is fine, most over the top stuff sounds silly anyway) Or unless it’s some big stretching thing that your hands aren't big enough for... you can probably pull it off at some point. The question is will it still interest you when you finally get there?

I think the attitude switch is just realizing there is no end point, it’s an illusion. When you finally close in on something, another looms up on the horizon. You just have to tell yourself you like the process.... The trenches of metronomes, books, pencils, etc..... I’m actually happiest in front of a music stand grinding through something, but it wasn’t always that way for me. Also, it’s possible you might be working on something that required a few successes leading up to it. If you’re trying to, say, sight read something with five flats, it’s probably good to have tackled a few tunes with just two flats first. Add weight to the bar slowly, but learn to love the pain
Actually, I'm not sure I believe it is possible. Except that I keep getting told that if I work harder I can do it.

And no it doesn't interest me at all, not after two years playing the same 25 minutes of music.

And yes I should switch pieces because at this point I have practiced in a million muscle memory mistakes, but the idea of strarting over with new material makes me desperate beyond belief.

And there is an end point, at the end my instructor stops telling me that I don't play well enough and allows me to sign up for a recital date and I graduate from college. When will that end point be?

And yes, if I could find a way to enjoy practicing again (to love the pain as you say) I might actually accomplish something. If I keep hating it, I guess I wont (my negative thinking will get me nowhere.)
Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismo
A lot of times our negative attitude is caused by chronic fatigue or lack of energy if you will and there are those times in the day when you feel most tired. In this regard, it would be wise to choose the time of the day when you are your most productive, most alive if you like, to do your practising. In my case I do my practise at 9:30 to about 11 or if I choose to, I would sleep at 9 pm and wake at 5 am where I feel the best and practise till 7.
All I want to do is sleep anymore. Sleep is the only time I give myself a break. Every second I am awake I am either practicing or kicking myself about this thing I can't do yet.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5
hi, there its always a new record to do, if we have 20 concerts why not 40?
a europe tour, why not twice a year? etc.etc, everything it´s an illusion.
and all this monsters arround(metheney,towner, frisell,etc etc etc)making us fell live its fame, money, traveling all over the world. NO, THAT NOT THE REAL LIFE.
i agree with min7b5. enjoy the process , do what you have to do, be your self!! everybody has the same feeling; when someone ask to leonard berstein, how he feel,someone telling him he was very talent and famous; berstein said its ok
but i wish to have the talent of MOZART OR MAHLER!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennsbreed
You might wanna take a break.... go for walk or go kayaking maybe skydiving? just get away. And while the elephant will never be a great dancer in an objective way, if SHE feels good about her dancing maybe that is what counts!
That's the whole problem. I don't feel good about it.

And unfortunately there is the matter of the one college instructor who has to think I am good enough to play a 25 minute recital and earn one credit or else, oh well, no college degree for me....
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
Hey, I can totally relate to what you wrote!! One of the songs I've learned is kind of like that. Sometimes I can play it nearly perfectly (never "perfect") and other times I swear I hit every wrong note, even though I have been practicing this song for a few MONTHS now! And the new one I'm working on has 2 crazy barre chords that seem impossible to me. I've been working on it for a week and I still can't switch to these chords without a *long* break. The negative part of me says "No way am I ever going to be able to play it smoothly" but I figure if I keep at it enough I'll improve. It's hard to hang in there sometimes. Last night I was really negative (hence, my post in the Taylor forum about wanting to bash the guitar, LOL) but today I'm feeling better. I think when you get to that point it's best to walk away and do something else that gets you in a positive mood (for me, it was watching the last episode of "The Sopranos"!).
Well, I have been practicing the same seven songs for almost two years. And there really is nothing I can do to forget about what a drag this is. Yeah I get in good moods, my work, my family, they help. But I don't forget for a minute that I am so far from finishing college, with one credit left to go, and I can't earn, I can't even imagine how much longer this is going to take... I only know that until then, it is an emotional and a financial drain on my family...

I'm so sorry, you guys - I really mean it when I say I appreciate what you are trying to say to me. But I can't tell you how negative I feel. Well, I guess you can hear it in my words. I have been trying really hard to figure out how to change things. As far as taking a break from the work - I have been told not to take a break by my teacher and begged not to take a break by my husband. I got a break anyway, I was in a horrible wreck and broke my neck and eight ribs. I couldn't play for 4 months. Did that refresh my spirit? No, I'm still bummed, just like I was last December. I'm still having the same troubles...

By now you AGFers are probably thinking, why do we even bother trying? She is bent on feeling hopeless... please don't think I don't appreciate all of your kind words, I do...

I wish I knew a way out... there is only one way out and it is through this thing and I just am so stuck inside it...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabalan
hi, there its always a new record to do, if we have 20 concerts why not 40?
a europe tour, why not twice a year? etc.etc, everything it´s an illusion.
and all this monsters arround(metheney,towner, frisell,etc etc etc)making us fell live its fame, money, traveling all over the world. NO, THAT NOT THE REAL LIFE.
i agree with min7b5. enjoy the process , do what you have to do, be your self!! everybody has the same feeling; when someone ask to leonard berstein, how he feel,someone telling him he was very talent and famous; berstein said its ok
but i wish to have the talent of MOZART OR MAHLER!!!!
I think I will enjoy myself again when I am back to doing what I love. I hate to say it out loud but this kind of work is just not what I am good at. I'm not a Mozart. I'm not Segovia or Parkening or John Williams. I am not able to devote myself to minute details and meticulous musical work. But get through this I must, and the more I view it as a chore or a burden the more it becomes one.

It's like finding out you aren't cut out to be a lawyer after you did the whole law school thing, and can't pass the bar...

Thanks you guys, sorry I'm so impossible to cheer up, hope you guys got something out of the dialog though.

I make myself ridiculous at AGF so I'm going to try to bail out here. Anyone who thinks they can help me please feel free to pm me! I wont answer back in the negative, I promise!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 PM

If I may chime in -
You have to slow down! That's it plain and simple.
One measure at a time very, very, very, slow.
No Tempo.
Zero in on each minute detail.
Focus your attention like a laser beam on each movement.
What are the "other" fingers doing when the ones doing the work are working? Are they relaxed?

What exactly are you working on?

Hang in there. I'll bet you've overcome some big obstacles in the past.
1979 Yamaha Accoustic
196? Harmony f hole

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell