The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 AM

Default Busking without amp?

Hey,

I have a guitar that I can't hook up to an amp and just wondering if it's possible for me to busk relatively loudly without one. I'm not sure if I can just use a microphone for my guitar instead, but maybe that would be problematic if I use one for my voice too?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I think it depends on a few different things. First, where are you busking? A busy street corner, a quiet spot in a park, or maybe in a subway station? Your amplification needs will likely be different for different areas. Also, what kind of guitar are you playing? My Martin projects very well and it's plenty loud enough unplugged in closed in areas. I suspect it would even cut through street corner ambient noise as well, especially with some aggressive strumming. How do you play? Quiet finger picking or strumming without a pick will obviously be quieter than using pick(s). Lastly, how do you sing? I find that I need to belt it out to get anything approaching listenable. If you're a quiet singer, your needs will be different. All that being said, I prefer being amplified, but I have pickups in my guitars so I only need one mic. Unless I can't for some reason, I plug in every time, even practicing at home.

If I were you, I'd go to some different spots and try it straight unplugged. You'll get your answers soon enough! Enjoy!
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 AM

It's almost impossible to busk without amplification if you want to make some decent money off it. I've been doing it for a long time and the loudness/reach of your sound is directly proportionate to the income. You can be heard if you attack your guitar really hard and belt out the vocals in a sheltered environment or a tunnel, but that'd be inappropriate for a large number of songs and other environments
Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM

Back in the 'old days', no one used amps for busking - battery-operated amps didn't exist!
I wouldn't recommend miking a guitar when busking, though, as the volume is so dependent on position - it's hard to remain completely still when playing on stage let alone when outside playing.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Pickups like the Fishman rare earth blend, Baggs M1/M1a and M80, Seymour Duncan SA6 and even the wooden soapbar pickups can be mounted with a cable hanging from the sound hole, not permanently.

If you're looking to do the easiest, cheapest and reversible pickup tryout, these are your best options.

If you're feeling really ambivalent about it, try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019S..._st_dp_summary
Old 03-27-2017, 01:14 PM

I should say that, given a relatively quiet and lightly trafficked area you can 'ambient mic' both your guitar and voice at the same time, with one mic. It's not simple to keep a good balance while avoiding feedback but it has the advantage of sounding great when it starts done well.

Put a dynamic mic (preferably one with a better high end response than a typical SM58, I use older EV n/d 257's) on a mic stand about soundhole tall. Aim the mic toward your mouth (probably 20• off of straight up) and turn the volume up, just below where it feeds back. Use amp placement to maximize level before feedback.

Play your guitar and move closer to the mic until you get the balance you're looking for.

This won't work in louder environs or where there's too many people to safely claim your space. It'll probably work for 98% of the spots you might choose.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM

In my opinion, amplifying vocals would be far more important than amplifying a guitar.
I would aleays opt for that. It makes life easier for me and helps make me sound better. If you can do both so much the better. There are lots of portable systems that are light enough to make it relatively easy for you.
You will need a pickup for your guitar obviously.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-27-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
It's almost impossible to busk without amplification if you want to make some decent money off it. I've been doing it for a long time and the loudness/reach of your sound is directly proportionate to the income. You can be heard if you attack your guitar really hard and belt out the vocals in a sheltered environment or a tunnel, but that'd be inappropriate for a large number of songs and other environments
Well.....it depends. I've yet to see a mime or a juggler use an amp.

Seriously, though, sheer volume has less to do with it than your ability to offer something unique, personal and entertaining. I used to make more than most others on the same pitches because I played the fiddle and clog-danced at the same time and no amplification needed. In fact, when there was a problem and the cops came, they'd chase off anyone with an amp but never bothered me once.

I realize things may have changed a bit, but if you're just one more of "the same old thing", then maybe volume does matter.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM

So dancing around in clogs and liederhosen while playing a violin qualifies as unique then?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeses View Post
Hey,

I have a guitar that I can't hook up to an amp and just wondering if it's possible for me to busk relatively loudly without one. I'm not sure if I can just use a microphone for my guitar instead, but maybe that would be problematic if I use one for my voice too?

Thanks for any help!
Hi Joses…

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you asked…

I've seen busking soloists and groups do just fine without amps, and then I've not quite heard some of the ones who don't have amps also. It really depends on the setting, and the venue.

At a busy Farmer's Market on an open square, you may have issues being heard over the crowd of wandering customers.

On the other hand, on a not-so-busy sidewalk at an off peak time you may be heard just fine.

I've seen plenty of buskers without amps do just fine, and who sticks around for full songs anyway? Busking is usually an attempt to pickup a few bucks and make music at the same time, and unless you are playing a Sax or drum kit, you are likely going to only pull in a few listeners.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
So dancing around in clogs and liederhosen while playing a violin qualifies as unique then?
I said clog-dancing, not dancing in clogs. There's a difference, just as there's a difference between playing a violin and fiddling. I think being the only one doing what I was doing fully fits the definition of unique in that the competition was almost totally made up of singing guitarists.

The lederhosen (not "liederhosen") exist only in your imagination. I wore blue jeans...although I suppose any musicians or singers pants could be called "lieder"-hosen, lieder being songs and leder being leather...

Edit:

Since this IS a guitar forum, after all, I should probably say something about my experience using guitar for street music.

One thing about guitar and vocal is that you more than likely have to shoot for getting folks to listen to at least most of a song or do something to gather a crowd rather than play to a pedestrian stream. This is not easy, and with a PA you're a bit tied to the spot rather than being able to shift a bit and catch folks eye. But the PA can offset this a bit, so it may be a wash.

My best use of guitar was always with a duo or trio, usually banjo and sometimes mandolin. Strong vocal duets were key as were songs of varying length, tempo and subject. One trick we used was to put out a trash container in addition to the kitty so we could set a good example and keep our pitch tidy. This allowed us a bit of "theatric license" and interact with folks with something besides just music.

But for the OP and the original question I'd say YES, it can be done quite well. As bil and rockdog noted earlier, it depends on the situation and vocals take priority. Playing in the right angle made by intersecting walls is great for throwing your sound out without needing electricity. And building up your vocal chords by daily exercise so you've got some vocal ooomph is a necessity.
Mics can make you lazy...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 03-27-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Busking without an amp..

Tired looking dude with hoarse voice shouting over the traffic, plink plink on a cheap guitar. Makes lousy $$. Horrible experience, people stomp by, think you are a homeless guy and a drug addict and you wonder why you were born....

Now,,,

50W portable amp with microphone and small effects unit battery powered...$$$.

I busk all summer at markets but got my start on the streets.

Don't make my mistakes. Do it right. And find a good pitch. Always the pitch (where you play).
Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Busking without an amp..

Tired looking dude with hoarse voice shouting over the traffic, plink plink on a cheap guitar. Makes lousy $$. Horrible experience, people stomp by, think you are a homeless guy and a drug addict and you wonder why you were born....

Now,,,

Don't make my mistakes. Do it right. And find a good pitch. Always the pitch (where you play).
Which amp and mixer are you using ?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Hi

I use the Traynor TVM50 watt amp and the Artcessories passive mixer. 50 watts is about right. It doesn't sound that great, but it does the job. Folks who like it buy the Celestion speaker to upgrade it.

Its really hard to find decent amps that run as rechargeable or battery. Those that are out there are often low wattage and just not loud enough.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Busking without an amp..

Now,,,

Hey! How much would a setup like that cost me? And what kind of microphone do I need? I've only used condenser microphones Before (not for busking) and not sure what suits busking best.

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification