The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Best EQ/Elecs for a Seagull S12?

I'm 99% certain the question about "the best EQ/elecs for a 12 string" has been asked and answered many times.

I'm curious about the Seagull S12 specifically, or a similar 12s dred with a solid cedar top. Maybe the cedar top makes no real difference, or maybe it does.

Some background might be helpful. My wife--Mo's Art, who has maybe five posts here on AGF--loves her 12s guitars, and really likes Seagull. She has a S12 that needs an EQ/elecs. She plays in church, and much prefers the convenience of plugging in rather than micing a guitar. Don't say it , I've tried to convince her it's worth the effort, and yes she access to a variety of mics. FWIW she mostly finger picks.

Is there a system that works better with cedar topped 12s?
If not, your recommendations for a system that works well with 12s in general will be appreciated. Note--Her one main requirement is she doesn't want a system that requires going through the soundhole to change the battery (and I don't blame her).

TIA!

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 03-24-2017, 09:35 AM

When you say she prefers to plug in her Seagull 12, does this mean it has a pickup already? If so, what kind? Is she already using a preamp of some kind (including one built in the guitar, if that's the case)?

You know your stage and equipment better than I would, but there's no crime in plugging in for stage work.

I like my Seagull S12. Yes I think it has a distinctive voice, and the cedar top is likely part of that. I have a Guild JF30-12 and there's a nice difference between them. I have no pickup in my S12, and Fishman UST of some kind in my Guild, and like all UST I'm aware of, it uses a battery, and yes the battery is inside the body. I use an external Fishman Aura preamp/effects box with my Guild.

There are passive pickups that require no battery if you need a pickup for the Seagull. If so, perhaps some other 12 string players can recommend one. You typically use an external preamp with them which will have EQ and perhaps effects. I've generally let the sound guy handle my EQ, but I will use a bit of compression from the box as well as the Aura's features to tame the UST brittleness.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM

Frank, thanks for responding. I'm guessing the folks around here have seen my question (excluding the cedar factor) too many times, and are silently screaming, "Use the search function!", and/or "Why isn't your wife here asking?". Both are fair comments.

Perhaps the responses would've been better if I was asking about a high dollar 12s used for food-and-shelter gigs.

The S12 is straight acoustic. Before we pursue purchasing a system, we're going to see if the older Bill Lawrence soundhole PUP that's currently in the Ibanez AW25 12s still works. IIRC it's a passive PUP with no controls. If it works and sounds good in the Ibanez, it'll wind up in the S12.

A local independent store that does service, and would gladly sell us a system and charge to install it , actually suggested trying the above first.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification