The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Default Cigar box guitars

I always thought the point of making these was about the fun of knocking up a playable and cheap instrument by using cheap and readily available items that are knocking about the house/tool shed. Imagine my surprise and disgust on seeing, in my local guitar shop, a "Make your own box guitar" kit being sold for £33. I'm distraught!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM

I see it differently.

Yes, cigar box guitars are about having fun and throwing it together out of parts laying around, but not everyone has parts laying around.

Having a small kit that can inspire a person to build something they have never done before, can be nothing but positive IMO.

In the next build, they may be more adventurous, you have to start somewhere.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Not much you can do about it I suppose Frankie. Maybe a letter of complaint letting them know the difficulties you face regarding going back into the shop again. By the sound of the title "make your own box guitar" it looks like you don't even get a cigar box, very disappointing.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 PM

That's actually a great way to get into a playable cigar box guitar way faster than trying to source it all yourself. It doesn't take away from your craftsmanship or the fun of sourcing all the wooden bits.

Shoot - just having a pre-cut fretboard improves the odds of playing in tune by a couple magnitudes...

Think:
Tuners
Fretboard
Fret wire
Tailpiece.
Nut and saddle
Pickup and tail jack
Plans/instructions.

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair