The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Kluson Supreme 3 on a plate

Hey folks,
I have an old '56 J45.
I got it with replaced tuners of the 60's or 70's era regular Kluson seperate types and they were kind of sloppy and a little difficult to tune up with.
I used a few different tuning so I read about these Kluson 18:1 direct replacements and ordered them. Appx $45.00 bucks on Reverb.

I put them on last night and they are a pleasure compared to the old ones, A little slack it seems on one key (B) but maybe the string is getting hung up in the nut...not sure but a big improvement over what was on there and dropped right in, holes lined up perfect...

Just a heads up... love me some 18:1 ratio...I feel spoiled...
Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Depending on what you mean by 'slack' what I think of it is that those tuners always have slack but it's not the nut it's the gears. IMHO best practice on any tuner is always tune up to pitch that way the gears get set. Tuning down to pitch always leaves a little slack.

Me personally, I like low ratio tuners, the lower the better. I like to to just give a minimal twist to make a big difference but you know it's purely individual taste.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Yup I get the whole tune UP thing.
But with the Waverlys on my D18GE you could practically tune DOWN they are so good.
These aint that but they are a big improvement to the old and do really fit perfect and are very smooth turning.

Just cool to find something that actually does as advertised for not alot of bread...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 PM

$45 bucks for a good set of tuners is nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair