The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
It amazes me that no shops in ARID-ZONA carry at least one CF guitar. If anywhere should be the mecca of CF instruments it ought to be Phoenix with our standard single digit humidity.
Saw a carbon fiber Martin at the GC in Tempe.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldeMaria View Post
Saw a carbon fiber Martin at the GC in Tempe.
A carbon fiber Martin? You sure it wasn't just "CF Martin"??

When I was first in the market for a carbon fiber guitar, I described what I was looking for to a GC sales guy. He said, "Yeah, we have that..." and took me to a Martin black HPL guitar. "See? No wood!"

A laminate, certainly not carbon fiber. Do you have a link to the Martin in question?

I see this is your first post here - welcome aboard!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
...has ben good for me. Checking out opinions and input regarding CF. Living in northern Sweden dry is the name of the game fr.o.m. Oktober until may. Reading and checking out posts here convinced me so I have an artisan Woody with tear drop mahongany on order. I'll try the neck shiny first and then maybe satinize IT IF I don' like the feel. 2 1/2 months waiting so far and worth it I believe.
It's better for us swedes to buy within Europe since we have a high sales tax that makes guitars rather expensive over here. The sales tax in Ireland is more favorable for us
Refilling the room humidifier gets to be A drag and I like having guitars out and not locket up in their cases.
Hi folks,

A number of people were interested in seeing the veneer which will be going on Ken's X20 Woody, before it goes sailing with him around Sweden. ;-)

Best Wishes

Sean

Emerald Veneer_17 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
A carbon fiber Martin? You sure it wasn't just "CF Martin"??

When I was first in the market for a carbon fiber guitar, I described what I was looking for to a GC sales guy. He said, "Yeah, we have that..." and took me to a Martin black HPL guitar. "See? No wood!"

A laminate, certainly not carbon fiber. Do you have a link to the Martin in question?

I see this is your first post here - welcome aboard!
Thanks, Captain. I think you're right... I went to the GC website and it looks like it's not a CF after all. Unfortunately, I can't give you a link because Chrome crashes whenever I go there.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Cf martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldeMaria View Post
Thanks, Captain. I think you're right... I went to the GC website and it looks like it's not a CF after all. Unfortunately, I can't give you a link because Chrome crashes whenever I go there.
I saw two of those in a GC last week, looks a lot like carbon on the outside but looking through the sound hole gives it away that it's not.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Over the past few years I have been building up quite a collection of unique veneers. I basically search the world over for the most unique pieces available.
We have recently cataloged everything and even created mock up images of them on guitars but Im just waiting on my developer to complete the pages for the site.
I recently did a Facebook live video showing our setup room and our veneer storage. About half way through I show my various select pieces.
You can view it here https://www.facebook.com/emeraldguit...1320362884143/
The strength of carbon and the beauty of nature! a powerful combination
Alistair
Holy smokes that was a cool video! Now I'm psyched even more for special woody x12-20!

More videos! [emoji2]

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Holy smokes that was a cool video! Now I'm psyched even more for special woody x12-20!

More videos! [emoji2]

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I watched that video when it was first posted... then, went back and watched it again to see if that louro preto was anywhere to be seen (nope). It is a great look into the Emerald operation. It felt like Alistair was showing you around, as if in person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber