The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Default Emerald Love on AGF - Need Recommendation

Reading through the pots here, there seems to be so much praise and admiration of there Emerald products.

Next summer I am leaving on tour and would like to take two carbon fiber nylon string guitars (650 Scale) with me. The durability and build will be important.

I read that they will build a more classical neck in the range or 52mm and make other custom changes.

Any thoughts on the Emerald product would be appreciated.
Sound, quality, playability, etc?

Jake
Old 01-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Guest 928

I have had three custom Emerald instruments. Each one has been unique and each one has been sweet. It is a pleasure to be able to spell out what you'd like and have it produced by someone who knows what he is doing. In my case, the desired instrument has been a nylon string, with a 48mm nut width. I've been able to try slot versus peg tuners, B-Band versus K&K, X10 versus X20 size, and so forth.

The customization has been one of my few indulgences. As a young man I could not have afforded such expenditure and not been able to experiment to such a degree. If this is to be your one shot at a custom, it is best to measure twice before cutting the check and best to think a lot before placing the order.

In my various orders I have found Alistair to be attentive to what I want and not afraid to point out what would and what would not work.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Earl - where did you use the K&K? In the X20? What were your thoughts on the B Band vs K&K in the Emerald guitars?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Guest 928

I had the B-band in the X10N and the K&K in the X10-OSN. I realized with the first X10 that the instrument was balanced enough that I did not really need eq help. A volume control cord and a mini tuner pretty much give me what I need. I also used the K&K on the X20-OSN. I am pretty happy with the K&K.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:10 PM

I've got the K&K in a CF right now and like it quite a bit. I will likely be ordering an X20-12 in a month or two and am just considering the pick-up alternatives. I'll likely go with the K&K, but just wanted info. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Guest 928

Kray;

I am not sure how the K&K works in a 12 string. I don't know if Alistair has used it in a 12 but I'm sure he'd tell you if you asked. You might contact the manufacturer for information.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:53 PM

K&K has a version of the Ultrapure for 12-strings. I just saw they came out with a magnetic soundhole as well. I used to play a pair of Sunrises for years and really liked them - I should have held on to them when I sold the guitars. DOH!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
K&K has a version of the Ultrapure for 12-strings. I just saw they came out with a magnetic soundhole as well. I used to play a pair of Sunrises for years and really liked them - I should have held on to them when I sold the guitars. DOH!
Good luck installing a magnetic soundhole pick-up in an Emerald !
Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Somewhere in the past there was a discussion of ultra thin magnetic pickups for guitars with no sound holes. I don't recall more than that, but an open question to the General forum might turn up some of the brand names.

Or, maybe someone in the Carbon forum will know?

Quick search for thin pickups found this

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/dis...-with-free-xlr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaHpTYMY6c

Apparently uses a thin magnet to hold it in place--but that should be possible with a bit stronger magnets that are placed inside an Emerald--to hold it in place, etc. There's a review further down the page.

Someone will figure it out.

Last edited by ac; 01-26-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Hi Long Jon,

Here you go ;-) Well-known guitarist Ewan Dobson asked us to install an LR Baggs M1 on his custom X20 Woody. Full details on the following link http://emeraldguitars.com/portfolio/...v=d2cb7bbc0d23

We are always more than happy to accommodate our customer's custom wishes to the best of our abilities.

Best Wishes,

Sean

X20 Ewan Dobson Sig _14 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Long Jon,

Here you go ;-) Well-known guitarist Ewan Dobson asked us to install an LR Baggs M1 on his custom X20 Woody. Full details on the following link http://emeraldguitars.com/portfolio/...v=d2cb7bbc0d23

We are always more than happy to accommodate our customer's custom wishes to the best of our abilities.

Best Wishes,

Sean

X20 Ewan Dobson Sig _14 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Hi Sean, I stand corrected . Obviously, YOU guys can do pretty much anything to an Emerald !

However, I once had one of those Baggs p/ups in a D.28 and IIRC the bit on show is just the tip of the iceberg, that model has a large, hefty body , containing a battery that needs changing from time to time, which looks like it would be a bit of a palaver in that guitar (?)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Hi Sean, I stand corrected . Obviously, YOU guys can do pretty much anything to an Emerald !

However, I once had one of those Baggs p/ups in a D.28 and IIRC the bit on show is just the tip of the iceberg, that model has a large, hefty body , containing a battery that needs changing from time to time, which looks like it would be a bit of a palaver in that guitar (?)
Hi Long Jon,

The offset soundhole on the X20 actually make it much easier to change the battery on an LR Baggs M1 (Active). But there are of course many other, passive options. We have installed everything from LACE Humbuckers to full Strat setups on our Emeralds and are always open to discuss custom options.

Thanks

Sean

Dargi1302_MG_3239 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Emerald-Guitars-Chimaera-Custom-Guitar-Lace-Ultra-Slim_15 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Old 01-26-2017, 11:43 AM

Oh man ! That X-20-"Strat" is just killer !
Old 01-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh man ! That X-20-"Strat" is just killer !
I agree, for some reason I really like white guitars. Beautiful !!
Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Holy cow! That Strat-coustic is incredible. What an idea. Can't wait to get my X-7 I love your guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber