The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on the possible causes and solutions for my G- and/or D-string pinging problem. I've found, however, that since I now play sitting down most of the time, my G- and/or D-string pinging is related mostly to my posture and how it affects the angle at which my flatpick hits the strings. When sitting, my guitars tend to tilt back somewhat towards my upper chest and this presents my flatpick with an angle across the strings that causes the G- and/or D-string, especially, to vibrate in what I'm assuming are arcs that cause this pinging. The pinging goes away when I sit up straight and the flatpick engages the strings at a more perpendicular angle. I've found this pinging also occurs on other brands of guitars, with or without pickup/preamp systems, when I'm sitting in a way that tilts the guitars toward my upper chest.

Again, let me thank everyone for their suggestions on possible causes of the pinging and I hope my playing-posture finding can help some of you with this problem.
Excellent news that you got that figured out! Enjoy! I was playing my 816 this morning after a few months of Martin devotion. The difference was very nice. They make absolutely beautiful guitars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Resurrecting this thread to say that my recently purchased 324e is giving me the same issue, mainly on the D string. As has been mentioned, it is especially noticeable amplified, and it is NOT, I repeat NOT affected by posture; at least not with my guitar. It definitely sounds better fretted and with a capo. I took the guitar to the repair shop I generally use, and wouldn't you know it - the tech could not hear it. I was afraid that might happen. I described it as best I could. The guitar does need a set-up, so he's going to do that, and specifically make sure the nut and saddle are cool. He's also going to call Taylor to pick their brain on it. I'm hoping the set up takes care of it. I certainly hope the ES2 is not exacerbating the problem. I did try adjusting the screw for the D & G strings, but it made no difference. Any other thoughts, ideas, or new info on this D string "ping" issue?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Resurrecting this thread to say that my recently purchased 324e is giving me the same issue, mainly on the D string. As has been mentioned, it is especially noticeable amplified, and it is NOT, I repeat NOT affected by posture; at least not with my guitar. It definitely sounds better fretted and with a capo. I took the guitar to the repair shop I generally use, and wouldn't you know it - the tech could not hear it. I was afraid that might happen. I described it as best I could. The guitar does need a set-up, so he's going to do that, and specifically make sure the nut and saddle are cool. He's also going to call Taylor to pick their brain on it. I'm hoping the set up takes care of it. I certainly hope the ES2 is not exacerbating the problem. I did try adjusting the screw for the D & G strings, but it made no difference. Any other thoughts, ideas, or new info on this D string "ping" issue?
I've updated my description of that sound as it sounding like a string-ping/sitar-effect. I've determined it's caused by one, and/or two, and/or all three possible causes, and it isn't limited to Taylor Guitars but can rear it's annoying tone on any acoustic guitar. Possible causes:

1) the string as it sits in the nut;

2) the string as it crosses the bridge and down the back of it;

3) the angle that a pick or fingers hits the strings

For Number 3, try this: orient the guitar so its top is straight up-and-down on your lap, at the same time hold the guitar so it's neck is parallel with the floor, and strike a string so your pick engages it without any angle but comes straight down and flat across the string What do you hear? I'll bet your string-ping/sitar-effect is greatly reduced. Any residual annoying tone may now be emanating from your nut or saddle.

I've noticed that compensated saddles seem to be a contributing cause of this string-ping/sitar-effect as you'll notice that the D and G strings come off the saddle the farthest forward of any strings. I'm not sure if it can be reduced by steepening the angle by filing away part of the saddle where the rear of the string comes down the top/rear of the saddle toward the bridge-pin. As for the nut end of the string, it may just need the nut-slot slightly modified. When you take your guitar to your tech for a setup, ask him about these three possible contributors to string-ping/sitar-effect. Thanks and please let us know if the setup remedied the condition.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-27-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've updated my description of that sound as it sounding like a string-ping/sitar-effect. I've determined it's caused by one, and/or two, and/or all three possible causes, and it isn't limited to Taylor Guitars but can rear it's annoying tone on any acoustic guitar. Possible causes:

1) the string as it sits in the nut;

2) the string as it crosses the bridge and down the back of it;

3) the angle that a pick or fingers hits the strings

For Number 3, try this: orient the guitar so its top is straight up-and-down on your lap, at the same time hold the guitar so it's neck is parallel with the floor, and strike a string so your pick engages it without any angle but comes straight down and flat across the string What do you hear? I'll bet your string-ping/sitar-effect is greatly reduced. Any residual annoying tone may now be emanating from your nut or saddle.

I've noticed that compensated saddles seem to be a contributing cause of this string-ping/sitar-effect as you'll notice that the D and G strings come off the saddle the farthest forward of any strings. I'm not sure if it can be reduced by steepening the angle by filing away part of the saddle where the rear of the string comes down the top/rear of the saddle toward the bridge-pin. As for the nut end of the string, it may just need the nut-slot slightly modified. When you take your guitar to your tech for a setup, ask him about these three possible contributors to string-ping/sitar-effect. Thanks and please let us know if the setup remedied the condition.
Thank you, SpruceTop. I already took the guitar in, and did mention 1 and 2. I had already determined that #3 is not a factor for me. I hear the "ping" sitting every which way, as well as standing (which is what matters most to me, as I stand when weekly playing out). I, however, don't really hear it when fingerpicking, which I only do on occasion. I only really hear it with a pick. I'll provide an update upon getting the guitar back. BTW - the guitar tech played it unplugged and plugged in and actually thought it sounded pretty dang good. I'm beginning to think it's me - lol.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 PM

My issue was similar and it came from my vocal mic. I practice in a room that has a slanted ceiling. I would sit on the floor and eq my guitar. Sounded great. When I returned to my stool, the ping came back. I unplugged my mic by accident and the ping disappeared. The mic was picking up odd frequencies of the guitar bouncing of the ceiling. When I moved to a different practice area, it sounded better.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Well, got the guitar back yesterday. It got a full setup. Problem solved! Not sure the exact origin of the issue (nut/saddle, etc.), or exactly what fixed it, but the "pinging" is gone . . . YAY!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM

Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know. Seems my 324 will have to get a setup in the near future, too.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up

Sorry if its not cool to resurrect an old thread, but this was one of the few places I could find on the net discussing the squeak/ping issue on the D/G strings on a Taylor with ES2. I just bought one of the new V brace 414ce-R a couple weeks ago and it had the same problem. Noticeable only when amplified and was almost unbearable to play with capo past 2nd fret. I took it to my local factory authorized guitar tech, who lightly contoured the bridge, touched up the saddle, 2 new strings and checked adjustment and still didn't fix the problem. He just installed a new pickup and bridge from Taylor and just called me that it is fixed and ready for pickup. Just thought I would add to this thread if someone else finds it like I did and wonders why their brand new guitar sounds like crap amplified.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification