The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 AM

Default TC Electronic BodyRez

I just received an email from TC Electronic anouncing their new pedal TC electronic BodyRez.It looks really interesting. I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer that I use for one of my guitars and I really like it. This one offers feedback supression . Here is the information:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...r-pedal-624594
Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Looking forward to hearing reviews from K&K & JJB folks.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 07-08-2015, 09:14 AM

It's aimed at the under saddle pickups. I'll certainly be buying one. I've tried the bodyrez on the play acoustic but I like things simple so this little pedal added to my chain will be a great addition, really excited for this one

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM

Good deal. The video does a good job of demonstrating the before and after sound. I've got the BodyRez in the VL3 and I've been greatly impressed with the sound that I can get out of my guitars now. May consider picking up this stand alone pedal to setup a backup rig with my other pedals in case the VL3 ever has problems.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 AM

Default TC Electronic BodyRez

interesting that the guy is playing a Taylor through the pedal. ES2?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 AM

It still sounding nasty when the pedal is not engaged.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:49 AM

Just noticed this earlier today. From their review it sounds really good. Like the others I couldn't believe how bad the Taylor ES2 sounded without it.

I'm curious to see how it would work with an ES1 being as it's not an under saddle pickup. (that's what I own) I'd be all over it if it had similar results. Looking forward to some real world reviews.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Personally I found the ES2 to sound quite good without the bodyrez engaged. The bodyrez seems to have taken out some of the warmth of the pickup. With that said, I have no idea why they market this pedal as helping UST pickups yet they use the ES2 pickup. They even used Taylor guitars at summer namm. They are basically making a very nice system sound a bit better. Let's see it used on a UST.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Personally I found the ES2 to sound quite good without the bodyrez engaged. The bodyrez seems to have taken out some of the warmth of the pickup. With that said, I have no idea why they market this pedal as helping UST pickups yet they use the ES2 pickup. They even used Taylor guitars at summer namm. They are basically making a very nice system sound a bit better. Let's see it used on a UST.

I agree, the dry sound wasn't bad at all. I'm sure they wanted their product to sound as good as possible but I wonder why they didn't use a generic pickup. Instead they used a system that's only available on one brand of guitar.

What matters is that the difference was very noticeable on the video. It wasn't subtle like the Baggs Session. This should be very useful in people's set-ups. It's sort of looks like an EASY button. That solution is going to be great for some.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post

What matters is that the difference was very noticeable on the video. It wasn't subtle like the Baggs Session. This should be very useful in people's set-ups. It's sort of looks like an EASY button. That solution is going to be great for some.
I was thinking about that and I wonder if a BodyRez/Session pairing would be the ultimate set up? There are two things that I personally struggle with when amplifying my tone that these two products seem to do well. First, I find it difficult sometimes to get a warm tone that also fattens up the sound of my guitar. The Session, although subtle, seems to help with this issue. Second, to get that warmth, I often cut the treble but then I lose enough high end. When I turn the treble up it's often overkill. The BodyRez seems to add a very nice high end. It would be neat to try these together and see how it goes.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I was thinking about that and I wonder if a BodyRez/Session pairing would be the ultimate set up? There are two things that I personally struggle with when amplifying my tone that these two products seem to do well. First, I find it difficult sometimes to get a warm tone that also fattens up the sound of my guitar. The Session, although subtle, seems to help with this issue. Second, to get that warmth, I often cut the treble but then I lose enough high end. When I turn the treble up it's often overkill. The BodyRez seems to add a very nice high end. It would be neat to try these together and see how it goes.
I've had some of the same issue, Petty. A general treble cut will kill the harshness of some guitar/pickup rigs, but it also kills the airy high end.

I have a couple of rigs which need both a mid cut (somewhere in the 500Hz to 800Hz range) and a low treble cut (somewhere in the 2KHz to 3KHz range - I can't be more specific because I'm working with EQ devices which aren't calibrated precisely). My Fishman Platinum preamp's sweepable (from 250Hz - 5KHz) midrange can handle one of those cuts, but not both at the same time. I can use the sweepable mid controls to cut in the 500Hz to 800Hz range, but when using the treble control (which is centered at 10KHz) I have to knock down a ton of 10KHz to scratch the "itch" which is in the area of 2KHz or 3KHz.

I've found that I can get much better results (in the realm of battery operated devices) if I follow my Platinum preamp with a Boss GE-7, using the GE-7 to deal with the higher frequencies.

In the realm of plug-in devices, several bands of parametric EQ works best.

I'm also thinking that the new generation of Platinum preamps will likely work better for tone shaping. Its interesting to note that the Q of the sweepable band has been changed from .5 (which equates to a bandwidth of 2.5 octaves) for the old Platinum to a Q of 1.3 (which equates to a bandwidth of 1.08 octaves) for the new Platinum preamps. That's a whopping big difference in bandwidth. I presume they've found that the smaller bandwidth works better for tone shaping.

Its also interesting to note that the treble band on the new Platinums is now centered at 6KHz (as opposed to 10KHz on the first generation Platinum). 6KHz would certainly work better for scratching the harshness "itch" of my aforementioned rigs while leaving more in the 10KHz area. Perhaps the Fishman folks have found that centering the treble bandwidth at 6KHz works better for most applications.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 PM

Here's the link to the demo video.

https://youtu.be/TuS8b1zZGko

sorry can't figure out how to embed it.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 PM

Wow, that just did what the Session DI claims for $150 less. The examples were more convincing than the Baggs to me as well. Oh man that seems AWESOME!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:00 AM

The ES2 IS a UST.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
The ES2 IS a UST.
The ES2 is three transducers that sit behind the saddle. A UST is one piezo element that sits under the saddle. Different designs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification