The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Default Estate sale finds!

Picked all of this up at an estate sale this morning. I figure it's a good project anyways. Got it all at a pretty good price point. The tuners are in Waverly boxes. But the patent number on them suggests they are Gilbert tuners. So I'm gonna keep the guitar tuners to put on the classical I build. Does anyone know anything about the mandolin tuners? Maybe a value on everything I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 AM

These are the guitar tuners.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:46 AM

I recognize the guitar mold and hold-down board as being made using the instructions in the Irving Sloane book ""Classic Guitar Construction", so he was evidently a follower of the Sloane method - Sloane is a "brand" nowadays, but he was a real person that made guitars and had his own style tuners made with silicon bronze frames.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Those tuning machines look very nice.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Are the Gilberts classical or steel?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Are the Gilberts classical or steel?

Okay maybe this is a dumb question but how can I tell?

Old 02-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett93 View Post
Okay maybe this is a dumb question but how can I tell?

Pull them out of the box and look at the string posts ("rollers" in classical guitar speak). Fat white or black plastic is classical. Metal about 1/4" in diameter is steel.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Pull them out of the box and look at the string posts ("rollers" in classical guitar speak). Fat white or black plastic is classical. Metal about 1/4" in diameter is steel.

I'm assuming they are classical/nylon then.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I don't recognize the classical tuners, but the patent number (which I think I can read in the image, but maybe I mis-read it) brings up this link, which details a patent issued to "Inventor" John M. Gilbert: http://patents.justia.com/patent/4974481
Old 02-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
I don't recognize the classical tuners, but the patent number (which I think I can read in the image, but maybe I mis-read it) brings up this link, which details a patent issued to "Inventor" John M. Gilbert: http://patents.justia.com/patent/4974481

If you'll look up Gilbert Tuners you can see where he sells some just like the guitar tuners. Ebony knobs with an ebony dot. Just can't find anything on the mandolin tuners

Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Sorry to have posted information you already had! I can't access the Gilbert page from my office, the firewall identifies it as dangerous material... But do you think the mandolin 4x4 tuners are also Gilbert brand? They seem to be pretty similar, mechanically and even aesthetically, aside from the gold plating added to the mandolin version. Good luck, I'm sure someone out here will be able to offer some actual information!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry to have posted information you already had! I can't access the Gilbert page from my office, the firewall identifies it as dangerous material... But do you think the mandolin 4x4 tuners are also Gilbert brand? They seem to be pretty similar, mechanically and even aesthetically, aside from the gold plating added to the mandolin version. Good luck, I'm sure someone out here will be able to offer some actual information!

Yeah I believe they're also Gilbert tuners. Just a higher end version, aesthetically speaking. Gold colored plating and snakewood knobs and dots.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I don't think they're mandolin tuners, they look like 8 string classical tuners

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop