The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Default K&K Trinity + Headway EDB-2 system

Hi all,

I've recently picked up secondhand a David Webber Roundbody which is turning out to be a great guitar, it came fitted with a K&K Trinity solo pickup (the goose neck & pickup system without the preamp).

This is the first time I've owned a dual source pickup, I've already got the Headway EDB-2 which is an amazing piece of kit but I've been using mainly as an equaliser.

Is anyone using the EDB-2 with a dual source input? I want to double check I've got it hooked up right to power the internal mic. I'm slightly confused by the fact that Channel 2 is the stereo input, but it would appear that you can only send 9v power down channel 1 (choosing between tip or sleeve).

It does say when you put a stereo input into channel 2 it splits the two signals between channel 1 & 2 so that you can EQ both - does anyone know if this also splits the 9v power? i.e. I could power the gooseneck mic from a single TRS into channel 2?

Otherwise do I need to use a TRS cable that splits into two separate jacks, put the one from the mic into channel one which can give 9v, then the one from the pickup into channel 2?

I've probably missed something very obvious here, but any advice would be much appreciated!

I've also not been able to find out from the K&K website whether the mic is tip or sleeve in the jack socket, it wouldn't be hard to work out of course but I don't want to risk sending power to the pickup and not the mic by mistake (or is that a misplaced fear??).

Thanks!

Last edited by Catper; 05-26-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Well I found an answer in Doug Young's review of the EDB-2:

"In addition, there is a stereo input jack that can accept a TRS cable for a stereo dual-source pickup, which routes the tip to Channel 2 and the ring to Channel 1. One source of confusion is the way Headway supports pickup-and- mic systems that require power for a mic. To support such a system, you need to plug into the stereo jack and set the Phantom switch to route power to thetipof Channel 1, which has the side effect of providing power to theringof the stereo input!"
Old 03-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Hi,

It has been quite some time since you have posted this, but...
I hav the K&K trinity installed but I would like some more options for
tweaking the mic.

Came across the EDB2 but I don't know if it can make the job done?
My goal would be to have the options that are included on the EDB2
for my microphone, and som minor tweaks for pure mini.

Thanks

Sasha
Old 03-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catper View Post
Hi all,

I've recently picked up secondhand a David Webber Roundbody which is turning out to be a great guitar, it came fitted with a K&K Trinity solo pickup (the goose neck & pickup system without the preamp).

This is the first time I've owned a dual source pickup, I've already got the Headway EDB-2 which is an amazing piece of kit but I've been using mainly as an equaliser.

Is anyone using the EDB-2 with a dual source input? I want to double check I've got it hooked up right to power the internal mic. I'm slightly confused by the fact that Channel 2 is the stereo input, but it would appear that you can only send 9v power down channel 1 (choosing between tip or sleeve).

It does say when you put a stereo input into channel 2 it splits the two signals between channel 1 & 2 so that you can EQ both - does anyone know if this also splits the 9v power? i.e. I could power the gooseneck mic from a single TRS into channel 2?

Otherwise do I need to use a TRS cable that splits into two separate jacks, put the one from the mic into channel one which can give 9v, then the one from the pickup into channel 2?

I've probably missed something very obvious here, but any advice would be much appreciated!

I've also not been able to find out from the K&K website whether the mic is tip or sleeve in the jack socket, it wouldn't be hard to work out of course but I don't want to risk sending power to the pickup and not the mic by mistake (or is that a misplaced fear??).

Thanks!
Hi Catper…
I own 4 K&K Trinity equipped (passive) guitars, and the 'obvious' short fall of the EDB preamps (I or II) is they gang the EQ on both channels. You cannot EQ each channel separately.

That led me to sell my EDB-I after a year (I only used it for 3 months). The EQ on my pickup rigs is quite different on the pickup versus the EQ on the mic, because each is used to select a different part of the tonal range.

It's free to try if you already own it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sale80 View Post
Hi,

It has been quite some time since you have posted this, but...
I hav the K&K trinity installed but I would like some more options for tweaking the mic.

Came across the EDB2 but I don't know if it can make the job done?
My goal would be to have the options that are included on the EDB2
for my microphone, and som minor tweaks for pure mini.

Thanks

Sasha
HI Sasha

I own 4 K&K dual source rigs, and there are far better choices for a preamp for the K&K dual source rigs. You can only EQ one channel of the EDB, and the other one has to share that EQ. To me that's an unlivable limitation. So if you EQ the mic, the pickup shares the same EQ. If your Trinity has an internal preamp, then you could run it through one channel of the preamp. Otherwise, you need two channels (one which furnishes power to the internal mic of the Trinity).

• A Raven PMB I or PMB II are really great and quite portable.
  • A DTAR Solstice is like the PMB on steroids.
  • The Grace two channel preamp is probably King-of-the-2-channel-preamps, but very expensive ($1000 new). It's pro gear, and roadworthy for sure (and still being manufactured and serviced).

Both the Raven and DTAR have to be found used because neither is manufactured any more ($300-350). I have a pair of Ravens (one of each model) and a DTAR Solstice. For large venues with professional sound guys I use the DTAR because the back of it is a modern patch bay and sound techs like it.

For small gigs where we are doing our own sound, I use the Raven because I'm close to the board and don't need the long range features of the DTAR to go into
our PA and stage amps.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-18-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catper View Post
Well I found an answer in Doug Young's review of the EDB-2:

"In addition, there is a stereo input jack that can accept a TRS cable for a stereo dual-source pickup, which routes the tip to Channel 2 and the ring to Channel 1. One source of confusion is the way Headway supports pickup-and- mic systems that require power for a mic. To support such a system, you need to plug into the stereo jack and set the Phantom switch to route power to thetipof Channel 1, which has the side effect of providing power to theringof the stereo input!"
~Know its an old post but can i ask a question Catper.

Ive a trinity solo mic and a headway Edb2 preamp. In the quote youve posted am i missing something? I assumed the 9v was only available using a three pin mic bale, yet the stereo channel 2 trs jack is a standard guitar input?

Gary
Old 12-25-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Catper…
I own 4 K&K Trinity equipped (passive) guitars, and the 'obvious' short fall of the EDB preamps (I or II) is they gang the EQ on both channels. You cannot EQ each channel separately.

That led me to sell my EDB-I after a year (I only used it for 3 months). The EQ on my pickup rigs is quite different on the pickup versus the EQ on the mic, because each is used to select a different part of the tonal range.

It's free to try if you already own it.

Just wanted to thank you for your advise when I posted a question regarding the trinity solo and headway preamp question.

Thought I’d give a follow up.

I currently use an Eastman E20 which has a JJb 30 under saddle and a trinity solo going into a Headway preamp. It’s the older Headway preamp and whilst Trinity suggest using their own preamp( clever marketing ) I can honestly say that the 9v the Headway puts to the solo mic works perfectly.

The only draw back so the older Headway only allows eq across both channels. Not a major issue but I’ve noted the newer Headway H.E allows eq across both Channels independently. Only issue is the newer Headway now gives a bias voltage of 11 v rather then 9v.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
headway edb-2, k&k trinity, trs cable