The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM

Question Headphones For Recording (Please Help)

I purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones today to use for recording. I want to use them as I am recording acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. I use the headphone jack in my mixer to monitor with the headphones while recording.

Before I got these headphones, I used a cheap set of regular headphones. These HD 280's sound way way different to me. Very little base and very tinny sounding compared to the cheap headphones that I am use to, but the sound seems to be alot more detailed than the cheap ones.

Is this normal?

Are studio headphones supposed to be this way, and it's just something I have to adjust to?

I know there are some sound experts here that can help a fella out...

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM

Bob, I have not heard the HD280 Pro headphones yet, but I have heard great things about them. They seem to be highly regarded in the industry as some of the better phones in their price range. I almost got a pair myself, but changed my mind. I am interested in hearing what others have to say about them.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Bob, I have not heard the HD280 Pro headphones yet, but I have heard great things about them. They seem to be highly regarded in the industry as some of the better phones in their price range. I almost got a pair myself, but changed my mind. I am interested in hearing what others have to say about them.
Thanks for your comment Rick. I think the ones I got may have been defective so I returned them. I did not want to take any chances so I got a different brand. I got a set of beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO's.

They sound GREAT!!!

They are double the price, but I can actually hear the Base and everything else too.

Like I said, The ones I returned may have been defective or something. When I listened to my guitar through them it sounded horrible, and My guitar sounds great plugged in. It was like the base strings where not even there.

I also read a few reviews on the HD 280's of people complaining about hearing very little base as well.

I also have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones, but they are more for just listening to music than recording and/or doing mixdowns.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:45 PM

HD280 Pros are a staple set of cans for tracking in many studios. I feel the high-end is a little exaggerated (seems smoother on Sennheiser's higher lines, like the 580) but they do excellently for hearing intonation. I try to avoid using them if there's a click track present and we're using a hot mic, as they don't have the best isolation. Also useful for mixing, but because of the unique frequency response, I wouldn't do a mix on just the headphones alone.

Having said that, The DT770 Pro are my favorite headphones bar-none. I literally carry a pair around with me all day long; in fact, I'm listening to a mix we did last night through a set right now. For anyone with the budget, I'll recommend the Beyers all day long. The first pair I bought, I took home and benchmarked - and about wet myself during the THX "big note" demo.
2010 914CE DMSM
Old 08-28-2008, 05:13 PM

I have AKG K240's and love them. Occasionally you can find them on sale. I love mine and they do a fantastic job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell