The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-23-2008, 02:53 AM

Default I love the way this guy's youtube recording sounds! How to get!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acs6t48Zb98

It sounds wonderful! What do I need to buy to get my computer to record like that!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Sorry,

Too processed for me, good mix for vocals but bad for guitar. Comparing a D-28 Marquis and Ovation is bizarre, a classic dread versus an acoustic electric, they aren't designed for the same thing at all.

I didn't get it.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Hard to tell from what we see. He's got 2 mics, and a video camera. A lot of reverb in the recording. Probably running the mics into a mixer and processor and then into a camera with it's own hard disk. May not be a Computer involved. (Not until you import the video replay into Windows Movie Maker).

Though I suppose the mikes could just feed into a digital interface and go into a computer for recording. The video camera may be separate. The sound and the video may be brought together after the recording is done (in a computer). But the reverb on the talking part makes me think he's got one setting for the guitar sound and he doesn't care what the talking sounds like. If you recorded first (on a computer) and added effects later (reverb) you could choose to NOT put reverb on the talking part.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:42 AM

Tons of reverb--that's pretty much it.

Other than the fact he loves hearing his own voice.....what is he saying? And who is he talking to? He doesn't even attempt to play them the same way, if he's trying to make a comparison between the two.......

And isn't that from an old song by "The Church"?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:48 AM

well, he is right, the marquis blows the ovation out of the water. i am not sure why he is so shocked....

also, who is the guy talking to?

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 AM

I'll bet he has lot of mirrors in his house..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Sorry,

Too processed for me, good mix for vocals but bad for guitar. Comparing a D-28 Marquis and Ovation is bizarre, a classic dread versus an acoustic electric, they aren't designed for the same thing at all.

I didn't get it.........
I agree, but...assuming, if you are a beginning guitar player, you don't look at this way. You would not know the nuances between an Ovation and a Martin. I think, the youtube video is serving its purpose.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 AM

Just a matter of taste. The Martin is bassy, the Adamas trebly. And there are different things to pick up from this: 1) the guy strums both guitars quite differently. With the Adamas, he strums normally, but with the Martin, the guy gets too. . . "emotional." 2) The guy said that he had played a lot of Martins before. What happened to the other Martins? Did they found them worse than his Adamas? 3) Is he searching for an endorsement? If not, I can't see why wasting time on this.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 AM

Well that's the great thing about Youtube - You can waste your time on whatever you want
Old 08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
well, he is right, the marquis blows the ovation out of the water. i am not sure why he is so shocked...
Hi woody...
It doesn't surprise me at all. Depending on your own ''guitar culture'' there is a lot of guitar-lore and assumption going around, and it isn't age dependent.

I find people with strange ideas about what good is. A guy approached me after a gig while I was wearing my Olson, and he looked at the headstock and said ''Oh, an Ovation! Those are pretty good, huh?''

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Ok, for me personally this was a "duh" thing; however, I know there are people that aren't as aware as others in this arena. The thing that really blew me away was the way that guy got ripped to shreds on the comment section. Silly to some? Yes! Worth ripping the guy a new one? Not quite.

Saville OM - Adi/EIR
Rainsong H-DR1100N2 FS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...45#post7101945
Yamaha AC3M
Yamaha FS800
Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 PM

How can you make a comparison after 30 seconds of aggresive strumming? I would imagine both guitars would sound better if he laid back a bit. I have never liked the sound of an Ovation, although I appreciate them for what they are. This is an odd clip, but thanks for posting it.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddcee81 View Post
Ok, for me personally this was a "duh" thing; however, I know there are people that aren't as aware as others in this arena. The thing that really blew me away was the way that guy got ripped to shreds on the comment section. Silly to some? Yes! Worth ripping the guy a new one? Not quite.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Gotta agree. but it seems pretty common to see that NONSENSE on Youtube (people beating up on the guy who posted the video).

BTW guys, the poster of this thread DID ask a question about how to get that level of sound on a Youtube Video:

My guess is that it was recorded on a high quality video camcorder with a mic input (and a good external mic) or direct from the board to an audio input on the camcorder. The guitar and vocals probably went thru a decent quality PA. A lot of Youtube videos dont look or sound that great because they are recorded using low quality recording devices that use tiny internal microphones. This was most likely recorded using a high quality external boom mic. (or the sound went directly to the camcorder thru an AV input). My guess anyway.....
Old 08-30-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreak View Post
Tons of reverb--that's pretty much it.

Other than the fact he loves hearing his own voice.....what is he saying? And who is he talking to? He doesn't even attempt to play them the same way, if he's trying to make a comparison between the two.......

And isn't that from an old song by "The Church"?

Apparently, he's trying to strum "Under The Milky Way" (an awesome song), which goes Am, Am7/F#, Fmaj7, Em7 (no, I don't have the tab).
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 AM

Anyway, like some else said, they're different guitars and they'd work better than the other depending on the style of music and the instrumentation and, of course, personal taste.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell