The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Parlor howls

Hey! I'm new here!
I'm having a hell of a time harnessing feedback from my parlor guitar.
It's got a plain old fishman sys in it.
I'm in a band with others, bass,drums,another acoustic guitar, and vocals.
Personally, I think it's all of the above suspects contributing to the problem.
I also know that placement can cause issues, but I can't place my amp in the front yard while I'm rehearsing in the basement...
Has anybody heard of the old feedback eliminator "solo" that Sabine used to make?
Thanks!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM

You should be able to play your parlor guitar through an amp in a band situation. Could be lot S of reasons the feedback is so bad. For example; if someone were to have a parlor guitar that has a healthy mid range plugged into an electric guitar amp that also has a healthy mid range, then you could have a problem. Or, if your old Fishman system has a mic in it.

In short, Unless you give us your entire signal chain, we are only guessing.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Guitar-boss tuner-BBE boost grande-eq-noise gate-boss delay-amp
Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Getting closer. It really would help us if you tell us the brand and model of all your gear.

Also, what do you do with the EQ and the EQ on the amp? If you're trying to dial in a sound you like, you could be causing the problem. You should be able to get everything to play well together. Gain stages do matter. You might just try going straight into the amp to eliminate some of the non essentials and see what happens.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

A "parlour" guitar as you call it, will presumably be something smaller than a 000.

The original designs (Gibson or Martin) were for small venues, unamplified, and so are (or should be) built lighter than most dreads, jumbos etc., for maximum resonance.

I really don't see them as suitable designs for playing in your rock band.

Maybe a cheaper, less resonant guitar, maybe one of those "electro-acoustics", maybe with a laminated top for playing, really, only plugged in ?

Or....you could stuff your acoustic with socks and/or put one of those awful rubber soundhole covers on it to kill whatever acoustic qualities of the instrument.

Obviously it isn't appropriate to run an acoustic into an amp designed for electric guitars, but I expect you know that.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Hi DQvid,

As Vancebo says, we need some more information--especially helpful would be the exact type or model Fishman pickup system and the type/brand/model of the amp you're using. Also, just as a general rule, a loud rehearsal room with a drummer and an amplified bass is going to be one of the most challenging environments in which to control feedback from an amplified acoustic guitar. So a description of the room and set up might be useful info., too.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification