The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I do love a proper Martin through saddle ... like this one ...

There is nothing sadder than to come across one of these saddles which has been adjusted by some moron who sanded the base of the saddle instead of filing from the top. It happens ... I have seen it. The evidence of the vandalism is that instead of the shaped saddle ends being perfectly flush with the curved surface of the wings, there is now a perceptible ugly recess.

Yet another good reason to glue these saddles in, and glue them in good. It doesn't totally prevent determined vandalism, but at least it's a deterrent

The eagle-eyed (like John Arnold) will immediately spot that there is an issue with the saddle in this pic, but there has been enough thread drift already, so let's not go there right now.
I agree it's a timeless classic look. When I make them I file, rasp and sand the wings with the bone saddle in place. That way it conforms perfectly to the curves. But like I tried to say before, my saddle rout actually goes about 1/8th in into the bridge below the exposed wing edges. Hard to explain I guess but basically it's a regular routed out saddle that looks like a through saddle.

But yeah, gluing them in would also guarantee that no one screws it up in the future. And really when you think about it, if it ever comes down to needing a neck reset I'm sure the luthier who has the qualifications to reset a neck can remove a glued in saddle too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair