The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Bending wood purfling

I'm looking to bend some wood purfling into a circle (not a guitar application). It's a diagonal check pattern that's .1 wide by .08 thick. I've made a form to bend it on. My question is really about how to do the bending process. Should I use moisture and heat? How much of each? I've read that wood purfling can disentegrate if you get it too wet or too hot, so that's why I'm looking for some more specific guidance.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:55 PM

First - that's REALLY thick and tall for bending if it's made of a lot of little diagonal bits unless it's made of something ridiculously easy to bend like willow.

Next... What glue did you use? Titebond III might have a chance as might superglue. Titebond I, hide, or white glue will probably come apart.

I am assuming that by "form" - you are bending it around a circle or into a circular groove.

If I was going to do that.... I would make a very short form - say 0.070 or 0.080" tall or a board with a properly sized groove routed into it. Then I would use a very hot clothes iron or hobby iron to very carefully work the piece into shape. You will feel the wood relax when it hits the bending temp. Use Xacto knife blades as nails to wedge your circle against the the form. Use a little moisture while you are doing this.. Like a little spritz here and there.

Practice first with long strips of normal wood to get the basic process.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I'm bending it around a circular form wit a groove in it. The groove is .080 wide and I made the form in two pieces so I can separate it to get the bent piece out.

Seems like an iron could follow the form pretty easily. Would you dampen the purfling first?

I didn't make the purfling, so I don't know what glue was used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair