The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Open Source PC Studio Software

Hey folks,
looking for opinions/reviews on current pc studio software. I really like open source[free!!] .......for example-what to look for when considering this alternative, pros/cons, etc. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM

I'm currently using Reaper which isn't free or open source, but is probably as close to that mindset as a commerical product will get (if that makes any sense at all). It's cheap, has a very liberal trial period, and is actively developed by developers who closely interact with the community. I'll admit I've not used any of the main/professional DAW software packages, but Reaper does all I need and far more and I'm very happy with it.

As far as open source goes, Ardour might be worth a look. It's Linux only as far as I know, but given that you say you're a fan of open source I'll assume that's not a problem My only time with it was probably two years back, and at that time I wouldn't have known a good DAW program if it hit me in the face, so I can't really comment on it fairly. I don't have Linux installed at the moment, but after reading through the website I'm keen to give Ardour another go if/when I go through my next Linux phase...

Simon.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 PM

Audacity is free and open source.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 PM

I use Audacity also. Effective and free. Can't beat that. I do my recordings with a Zoom H2. Love the H2.

Fred
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM

Another vote for Audacity. I use it in combination with Cubase. I do my recording in Cubase, then export the wave file to Audacity to convert to mp3. works great for me
Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 AM

I use n-track, while not free, it is reasonable and like Reaper has a friendly forum and user group.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell