The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Thanks for filling us in on Ren's injury, Fred. I'd heard he'd been injured, but didn't have any details.

What you wrote about him becoming a consultant for Fender makes sense, too. He's no kid any more, so actually running a guitar factory on a day to day basis is not likely to happen again. Particularly since he'd have to leave his beloved Montana to do it.

whm
Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Retirement makes sense. He turns 66 in Feb, 2012. Consulting during retirement also makes sense, especially for someone who has made a mark in his industry, but also for someone who is tired of the day-to-day stresses and hassle of working for a living.

- Glenn
Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Thanks for filling us in on Ren's injury, Fred. I'd heard he'd been injured, but didn't have any details.

What you wrote about him becoming a consultant for Fender makes sense, too. He's no kid any more, so actually running a guitar factory on a day to day basis is not likely to happen again. Particularly since he'd have to leave his beloved Montana to do it.

whm
He won't leave his beloved Montana, that's for sure!

Fred
Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post
He took a bad tumble and tore some ligaments/tendons.

I hear they used hide glue to put him right....

Fred
Let's hope they did it in the custom shop and not the regular shop.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM

For what it's worth... the "official" announcement:

http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=150494

I have known Ren for the better part of 3 decades and he is truly an amazing human being - and not only a world-class luthier but also a world-class gunsmith.

This should definitely be good news for Guild, Ovation etc.; I look forward to seeing what's soon coming down the pike, with Ren's input at FMIC.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
On the flip side, I sure wouldn't mind if Fender started making the Guild archtops again. Some of those vintage Guild Starfire guitars are pretty rad.
They showed a new Starfire (IV I think) at NAMM. Limited edition so far. As to US made Fenders that somebody asked about, they are producing at least one at the Guild plant and it's not just a rebranded Guild, different neck, different bracing.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
If Fender wants to elevate their Fender-branded acoustics, they will have to move production to the USA, or at least build a limited series in the USA.

They could expand the Guild line by adding baritone acoustics, as well as some other styles they've shied away from. AFAIK Guild has never offered a 12-fret acoustic with slotted head, or a true parlour guitar.

Guild had a very short affair with mandolins way back in the day. Perhaps they could build a series of mandolins, mandolas, octaves, etc.

A quasi Papoose with a small version of the Guild roof-top head design would be very cool. They could offer unique instruments like Joe Veillette is making but in a more affordable price range.

The sky is the limit, but time will tell what Fender will do with Ren's talents.
They already have USA made Fender Acoustic .....they are real nice.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Default Ren Ferguson

I had the opportunity to meet Ren at a Gibson promotion at Rudy's in NYC a couple of years ago. Years before I had purchased a translucent red J-200 Jr. on ebay. When it came it had all the original hang tags and paper work with and it and about ten times the tone, volume and mojo of any guitar I had ever owned, including Goodall, Bourgeois and Lowden, it so I called Gibson to find out if I could register the warranty. The kind Gibson rep on the phone told me no because the guitar had been in a liquidation sale of a closed dealer and was considered second hand. But he then went on to say. "you should hang on to that guitar, it is one of about 60 hand built by Ren Ferguson as a special project he did in the mid '90's. It is probably worth ten times what you paid for it"

So I took it and a Madagascar Adirondack AJ I had to Rudy's to get a confirmation on that when Ren held the workshop there.

What a sweet man he is. He gave me all the time in the world to talk guitars relating stories of my favorite singers he new personally and then we opened up the cases. When I pulled the AJ out he took one look at the back of it and said "I remember this one" He had built it himself a year before. He likes a beefy neck and that was my complaint about the guitar. He explained that with age and wear and tear, your hands don't work as well on skinny necks and it was his own personal preference. It also imparts more volume to the top as it acts as a counter weight to the body of the guitar. I asked him if I could have a reputable luthier shave it down a bit and refinish it. He advised against it and said it would devalue the guitar and diminish the sound. He said if there is something about a guitar you don't like, sell it and get one that is more suited to your playing.

Next we took out the J-200 Jr. It was considerably older and he looked it over for several minutes reaching his huge paws inside to feel the top braces, then said "oh yeah this is one of mine". When I asked him how he knew he explained that he was the only one at Gibson who scalloped the braces the way these were scalloped. He said you train the guys to do it this way but as soon as you turn your back they go back to their own way. Could be why the guitar had such amazing tone. He then took out paper and pen and wrote down the serial numbers of the guitars and my address. About a week later I got two new signed Gibson labels in the mail for my guitars with his signature on them.

I did end up selling the Advanced Jumbo and buying a different one with a lower neck profile but it didn't have the tone and volume of the one I let get away. Wish I'd kept it.
As far as the move to Guild / fender... Gibson's loss, Fender's gain. Probably going to be a lot of great Fender Acoustics coming on the market.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

That's just a cool story.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I like Fender.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Just to catch this thread up... Ren's influence at Guild has been felt already. Guild's 60th anniversary koa acoustic is out. We've got some pictures up on let's talk guild: http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=34582

The Doyle Dykes signature model is also one of Ren's babies. http://www.guildguitars.com/instrume...tno=3854308801
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
....whatever anyone thinks about Gibson CEO Henry Juskiewicz being the Prince of Darkness...
Anyone who has acquaintance with British motorcycles of a certain era (as I do) knows that Lucas is the Prince of Darkness.

Not even Henry J. can usurp that one.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Retirement makes sense. He turns 66 in Feb, 2012. Consulting during retirement also makes sense, especially for someone who has made a mark in his industry,
I have to wonder if there was some bad blood, though.

I mean, Martin and Fender would be THE enemy as far as business goes when it comes to Gibson.

Maybe it's just me.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM

Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I have to wonder if there was some bad blood, though.
I mean, Martin and Fender would be THE enemy as far as business goes when it comes to Gibson.
Where should he go? Mitchell Guitars or somewhere similarly insignificant? Joe Torre got fired by the Yankees - went to the Dodgers. High flying folks keep their wings flapping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion