The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
I have been eyeballing some of the Philipines built guitars with similar curiosity...
OOO!

Unless they've improved pretty drastically, the guitars I've seen from the Philipines have ranged from crude but good sounding (and warping as I played), to terrible and unsound (and warping as I tuned them up)!

Of course I may have not been exposed to some ranges that may indeed be good, but the ones I've seen were not world class musical instruments.

I've had several students with them (some with quite pretty shades of turquoise sunburst paint, etc). Most I recommended that they'd make attractive dining room wall clocks out of. One student did!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Hey Guys. New to the forum and I've been researching the Ayers guitars and seems AGF has a good amount of information about them.
Has anyone tried the 09 Koa/Koa series yet?

They seem like a nice guitar and also seem to have some interesting offers like the free test drive and 100% trade in policy. I'm really tempted.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Vietnamese guitars = Mr. Binh Guitars

Just do a websearch.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkreuzer View Post
Thanks for feedback on posting. I'll be around to support you guys and any questions you may have.

-- mark
Mark,

I notice on the site that the SJ has a 1&11/16 neck. Do they make any with 1&3/4?

Thanks,
Cass
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM

At this point we don't carry them in stock but can do them for a small up charge from our normal pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
Mark,

I notice on the site that the SJ has a 1&11/16 neck. Do they make any with 1&3/4?

Thanks,
Cass
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 AM

Default Buy American ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Buy American whenever possible.
Nobody told you yet that also most American guitars are made in Asia ? Even Fender produces in Indonesia not a big friend of the USA but they make guitars nowadays only to make money. Forget about "Buy American" there will no be a lot to buy else ..............
Old 11-30-2010, 08:48 AM

Default Ayers A-09C

I purchased an Ayers A-09C, the all Koa, from Mark (Mkruezer) at Ayers USA this past summer and without a doubt it's one of the nicest guitars I own. Even though it's a small body it's voice is loud and sweet. Intonation is spot on, the setup didn't need any adjustment for fingerstyle and it's incredibly light compared to my Taylor GCs. The only change I made was to switch to Elixir PB Lights strings. Promised Mark I'd get some pictures up just haven't been able to yet...too much fun playing to spend time taking pics!:>) The workmanship is easily equal to guitars costing significantly more and the woods are gorgeous. Mark was very patient with all my questions over a 4 or 5 month period before I actually took the plunge and bought the guitar.

“Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.”
Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 PM

One of the problems with Mr. Binh guitars and Antoniotsai is that there seems to be no climate control in the factory proper. There was a photo essay on Harmony Central pertaining to the Binh, and the kids that were making them were sweating in the 80-90% humidity. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but those guitars would not fair well in most parts of the US. Maybe Louisianna, but not Wisconsin.

Maybe this is the reason the Antoniotsai and Bruce Wei guitars get a bad rap? Perhaps Binh makes guitars for these guys? I'm not sure about that, but they all have a similar look.

The Baden and Ayers are made in a factory with climate control.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
One of the problems with Mr. Binh guitars and Antoniotsai is that there seems to be no climate control in the factory proper. There was a photo essay on Harmony Central pertaining to the Binh, and the kids that were making them were sweating in the 80-90% humidity. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but those guitars would not fair well in most parts of the US. Maybe Louisianna, but not Wisconsin.

The Baden and Ayers are made in a factory with climate control.
Hey Everyone,

Neal is right about our climate control. It's there with Ayers. I do know some of the smaller shops send their wood out to be dried before building. As long as they can keep that 6 to 8% moisture content during the build then they should be ok. After they are built, put in a case, hopefully wrapped in a plastic bag and don't sit in inventory that should help as well. Don't know... just some thoughts.

Also, thanks to Teach for the compliments. We want to succeed and we work hard for everyone. Would love for everyone to try one out. Doesn't cost you anything.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 AM

Thumbs up Ayers-Baden

Hi everybody
Alessandro from Roma Italy
About three years ago I started buying this instruments,Asian made.
After some I discovered Ayers guitars, and just can't stop buying them.
I also sold some,the ones i didn't like so much, to refinance my pockets but, believe ME, they are beautiful guitars.AND NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH THEM
I just sold this one one month ago, but I own another with indian rosewood back and sides.

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...an%20rosewood/

Solid sitka,Vietnamese Rosewood back and sides,ebony fingerboard, armrest, and other on the cutaway.
All solid and no issues.The sound is beautiful,I'd say suitable fo all genres af acoustic perfect intonation,no cracks, no problem after one year.
The neck.I never found a more comfortable one.

Here another, cheaper, Ayers with solid Ovangkol back and sides.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1061166...yersOMOvangkol

I owned Martin, Lakewood, Taylor, many Avalon ,a Lowden, but my axes are now Ayers.
No doubt.
Ciao
Alessandro.

P.S.
I'm a luthier since 1982,and I see when guitars are well or badly constructed...
Lowden SP 32 fishman (sold)
Unique Cutaway-sitka, brazilian back and sides
Ayers all koa top back and sides
and many others...

Last edited by rlouie; 09-07-2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: swearing
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 AM

baden is no more!!!

aryers are alive and kicking, I knew that andy mckee played one 5 years ago, so it should speak volumes about the quality of the guitar!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
baden is no more!!!

aryers are alive and kicking, I knew that andy mckee played one 5 years ago, so it should speak volumes about the quality of the guitar!
There is a phot on the web with Mckee playing an ayers, but this doesn't mean much to me,the guitar has to be in my hands,...Michael Hedges,My God on earth, played a Martin dreadnaught and I never liked that instrument.I owned one...

But if you have the chance to try one (Especially the new ones, with Ayers MOP logo on the headstock; older models have an "a" on the headstock)
you won't be disappointed.
They're worth the money you spend.
Cheers
Alessandro
P.S. Baden is now constructed at Ayers factory in Vietnam...
Lowden SP 32 fishman (sold)
Unique Cutaway-sitka, brazilian back and sides
Ayers all koa top back and sides
and many others...

Last edited by alexios; 09-07-2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: forgot some words
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 AM

"The guitar is festooned with abalone pimpery..."

One of the better sentences that I've seen in a while
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Exclamation BADEN is ALIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
baden is no more!!!

Just wanted you to know that BADEN guitars was purchased by a company in the UK. Baden is still alive.

Check this link and read the NEWS info.

http://www.440distribution.com/
http://www.440distribution.com/baden.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion