The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Fwiw....I have an Epiphone ej200 that I use, with "bluegrass" d'addarios (heavy bottom/light top) that was every but of 3 clams and I wouldn't even consider trading it for the Gibson j200.
For two reasons: 1) at that price I can afford to have a single purpose instrument (extremely low tunings and slide) if I choose and
2) it sounds and plays 90% as well as the 1000% higher Gibson
yep, that's right...1000% higher.

The ej 200 is well built (for a plywood box) is attractive if you like that kinda thing. VERY loud and very evenly voiced....works for me!

The j200 is also lovely, well built, loud and not quite as evenly voiced but with more subtlety and overtones..but 1000% more dough.

Were this to be my "main box" I'd have opted (assuming I wanted a jumbo body for a "main box") I'd look for a great deal on a j200 or a Guild..but, its not so, 90% of the sound for 10% of the cash...yep,...Epiphone works just fine!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM

The Epi Army has arrived, LOL! OK, my previous comparisons, similes, or whatever addressed the specific question - how do the Dove and Hummingbird models compare.

As for Epiphone in general, I have a Masterbilt AJ-500M that still amazes me, even with me owning a Bozeman special order 1958 Gibson Country Western re-issue that has been fine-tuned by me to a gnat's a**. The Country Western, after my own mods, upgrades, and refinements, is the best guitar I've played in four decades, and I've played a lot of guitars.

BUT...that Epi AJ-500M strung up with some D'Addario EJ17 Phosphor Bronze mediums is just astounding for wee small cash.

Sugar Bear
Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
The Epi Army has arrived, LOL! OK, my previous comparisons, similes, or whatever addressed the specific question - how do the Dove and Hummingbird models compare.
when i was looking at the ej200's and j200's i also happened to notice that the epi hummingbirds compared well with their high priced cousins but, not so with the doves...though, again, at 10% of the dough,....not badly....just not quite as close to the 90% sound...more like 82.5%
Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 PM

I own a Gibson, the CJ165R, and an Epi, the EL-00. The Epi is a copy of the small bodied sunburst Gibson that Robert Johnson was photographed with. Disaffected with the so-called travel guitars, I bought the Epi on ebay as a go-to guitar whenever I had to go somewhere. I don't know if any of you guys have played one, but this is one sweet guitar. It's not as good as my Gibson, but it is a quality guitar which is great fun to play in its own right.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 PM

I wonder why almost all the opinions are basically the same words ad verbatim. I sincerely doubt many here have actually played both Gibson and their Epi versions and just repeat what others have said. I've played Gibson H-birds and Epiphone H-birds. Of course, haven't played all of them, but from the ones I actually played, there wasn't that big of a difference in their tones. In fact, the Gibson I played looked bad compared to the Epi. I've owned Masterbilts (my favorite from Epi acoustics) and played the EJ200 and the Dove Pro. Really nice guitars. I need to play the Gibson "originals" to have a solid opinion on those models.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Sorry to hear how Epiphone is underated around here.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Epiphone Hummingbird vs Gibson Hummingbird?? ...Let the AGF members be the judge. And here are two clips playing them both..side by side..same tuning, same strings, same music, same person playing them..back to back, and on the same computer. Good luck! AGF members...Your opinions please! ...turn up the volume!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bEHM4Edn6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rDlsvU-Go
Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 PM

I played an Epi Bird and a Gibson Bird in the same store. Maybe they were bad example and I don't mean to be unfair but one sounded like it was full of cotton socks and the other like it was full of acrylic socks - can't remember which was which though.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
Epiphone Hummingbird vs Gibson Hummingbird?? ...Let the AGF members be the judge. And here are two clips playing them both..side by side..same tuning, same strings, same music, same person playing them..back to back, and on the same computer. Good luck! AGF members...Your opinions please! ...turn up the volume!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bEHM4Edn6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rDlsvU-Go
These videos support my experience with Epi and Gibson - The Epis are much brighter, but thinner sounding. Both are good. In these two videos it sounds like the guy just put new strings on the Epiphones.

I have the Hummingbird Pro and an Epi EJ-200. I love both. There is a $1,600 difference in price ($399 and $2000), but to my ear the Gibson is not 5 times better lol - I would rate the Epi at about 75% compared side by side with the Bird. Don't get me wrong, the Hummingbird is by far and away the better of the two, in both sound and build quality; nevertheless the Epi is still very, very good, especially for the price.

This thread started way back when there were dinosaurs - lol - it's funny how a lot of old threads are popping their heads up recently.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM

I happen to be one of 'those' people who like the sound of Gibson Hummingbirds. But the epiphone isn't the same thing. The specs are different even.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 10-26-2013, 12:20 AM

Unhappy Rough crowd.

I guess I'll just go wait in the car.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:32 AM

They dont ....
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 AM

epiphone is da best xD
Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Here is a suggestion from Darrell Scott as to how to treat a Hummingbird :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=282iDupaVM4
Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Here is a suggestion from Darrell Scott as to how to treat a Hummingbird :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=282iDupaVM4
Nice video. I had never heard of Darryl Scott before. Very nice.

Here's an advantage of a Gibson (or Epiphone) Hummingbird (or Dove or J-200): If you're watching someone perform on TV and they are using one of these fine instruments, you don't have to wait for the camera to "accidentally" pan over the headstock to know what it is. It's frustrating to watch a wonderful acoustic guitarist play an amazing instrument and then have to wonder who made it lol - People know I'm a Gibson player from across the room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion