The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-19-2015, 04:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Tom! I'm checking in daily on your Kinnaird build also. I don't know about you, but the anticipation of seeing your guitar fully built is really growing. I envy you, getting that fine Kinnaird guitar...

Now, back to the neck build. After the frets are installed and trimmed flush to the edge of the fingerboard, I use one of my long sanding bars to true up the edges. I hold the bar at about a 75 degree angle to the fret ends, which allows me to make maximum use of the width of the frets. When the frets are dressed later on, I file a round-over end on each fret, rather than the typical 45 degree bevel. That helps keep the high and low E strings from sliding off the fret edges.

Next, getting ready to hog the fat off the neck shaft, I use one of my favorite tools- the Veritas low-angle spokeshave. My Dad gave this tool to me for my birthday years ago. It's great for removing a lot of material, and doing the rough-carve quickly.

I am replicating the specs and carve of Jim's Martin re-issue guitar, and he took some accurate measurements for me to go by. Here's a jig I made from the specs Jim sent to me>

So now, there's a gap in the pictorial record. Carving and sanding a neck creates a LOT of wood dust; I worry about it clogging up my camera, so I usually don't take many photos during this stage. So, how about if we jump ahead to some photos of the fully-constructed guitar, casually hanging out in the shop.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are a few more photos. In the background, there are some other projects I've got on the back-burner.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks to everybody who's looked at this thread. I am really psyched about Jim's guitar. The sound box sounds so lively and responsive, just drumming your fingers on it; and the neck, carved to those vintage Martin specs, feels bigger than I'm used to, but still very comfortable. I picture this guitar having a big, open, airy sound, with cello-like bass, robust, expressive mids, and colorful, overtone-y trebles. With that Adirondack top, it will have a long, slow curve of continual improvement as the tone matures. But based on other similar builds, I think it is going to sound great, right from the start.

Here are a few photos of the guitar "in the white"- I like to call them "tasteful guitar nudes"- before the lacquer goes on. There is a lot of beauty in unfinished wood.

Another thing I should mention: Jim requested that I NOT put a side sound port on this guitar. This is actually the first guitar I've made since 2011 without a sound port. I'm really eager to hear it! Maybe I'll go back to un-ported guitars! We'll see...

I guess that's it for now. Next time you see this guitar, it will be rounding third and heading home. Won't be long now!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Awesome shots, Steve--that guitar is really a beauty from top to bottom! Headstock, rosette, inlays, and fantastic woods--it's got it all. Would love to hear it once it's all strung up!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-19-2015, 06:01 PM

Looks absolutely fantastic Steve. I really am blown away with how good it looks without finish. Jim is a lucky guy.

Any copper on this one???
Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Spectacular pictorial so far, Steve. This is a very elegant looking guitar, and I look forward to seeing he under finish...

BTW...I recognize that exact spot that you caught the bass...what a blessing to be able to walk out of your front door, down the street, and within minutes, be able to have a lure in the water...

Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Default My guitar

Steve,
it just keeps getting better and better. I really like the 12th fret marker.
I second the nice fish comment, must be nice to just walk out your door to be able to catch them.
Jim
Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Time sure does fly by when lacquer's curing. There's always another guitar to dive into... Plenty to do... and then finally, it's time to finish this Consort up and put it together, and make it a done guitar. And here we arrive at the present day. This guitar is DONE, with strings on, and everything. It seems to have turned out quite a success. I'll cut to the chase and post some photos of Jim's new ECC-V Consort guitar:

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Default My guitar

I received this guitar yesterday and, my, my, what a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. Not only does it look good but it sounds wonderful....it's loud, has amazing overtones and sustain to die for....and it's brand new so it should only get better from here.
Steve did a wonderful job on making the neck just the way I wanted it to be. I'm pretty fussy about neck feel and have bought and then sold some fairly high end name brand guitars because I didn't like the feel. As soon as I played this one, I knew it was RIGHT!
As to it's look, more than I expected but exactly what I hoped for!
Thanks Steve, it's wonderful.
Jim
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, Jim, I'm really glad that you are enjoying your new guitar. It was a pleasure to build. And yes, it will continue to improve for a good long time, as the lacquer continues to harden, and you get some serious playing time on it. When I sent it out, it only had about twenty minutes playing time on it, total- just enough to do the setup work. But I could already tell, there is something special in the tone and response. Now the real magic will begin, as it opens up and shows its true character- with your input, your musical energy- as the main ingredient.
Anyway, it's always very gratifying to get a good report from a new owner. I sent the guitar out at about 3:00 PM on Monday, and it arrived at about 9:00 AM Tuesday- before I'd even had a chance to download the final photos into my computer.
Thanks for everything, Jim!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

This looks amazing and utterly playable. Very cool fretboard markers, congrats to both luthier and owner.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Congrats Jimmy on your new companion and to Steve on another beautiful work of art. You have a way to work with the wood colors to deliver a work of art that not only looks good, but can sing. What a gift (although a gift brought to live by hard work!!!) !!!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Running out of adjectives. Steve, you da man! Congrats yet again
Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 PM

I know from experience that Jim will grow fonder by the weeks and months as his delight matures to deep joy with this special instrument, another stunning work from the Edwinson Shoppe.

On another note, I find my own excitement elevated whenever I see another Edwinson guitar in the completed state as it means I am one more guitar closer to my own build date
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I agree with the others--this instrument seems to have turned out quite well, and it's certainly reassuring to hear a new owner rave about the tone. I hope Jim enjoys his new guitar, and I'm as excited as ever for you to begin the guitar build we've planned, Steve!

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop