The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-21-2023, 05:28 PM

I love playing with other musicians. The support you can get AND give with other musicians raises everyone's boat.

In my younger years, I did a lot of jamming with people and found some future bandmates that way.

Over time, though, I found most jam sessions to be musically limiting. I wanted to play multiple styles but most people wanted to play exactly one.

This says more about me than them. I crave variety, mashups and surprises. Other people live for the 'greater than the sum of parts' collective sound.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-21-2023, 05:44 PM

When a jam works, there’s nothing like it. The spontaneous creation of good music with other people is a rush, and and the look on our faces that says “that was so cool!” doesn’t need words. But a lot of jams die an embarrassing death and fizzle out - but I’ll still almost always give it a shot if asked.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:08 PM

in all my years of playing noone in my circle of musician friends ever said the word jam, now everyone is jammin'...guess that's why the word jam sounds so pretentious to me

Last edited by Jaxon; 11-22-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Back .... way back in the day the word jam meant playing a type of blues with extended solos. Not long into the sixties it meant playing together. I really don't know what it means today. If someone asked me to jam, I would ask them, what do they have in mind.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-22-2023, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
in all my years of playing noone in my circle of musician friends ever said the word jam, now everyone is jammin'...guess that's why the word jam sounds so pretentious to me
If you didn't call it a jam when a group of people got together to play music, what did you call it then? I've heard the word "jam" referred to since my Navy days, playing on the fantail of the Independence with some like minded friends. But I agree with Jelly, it has different meanings to different people. I hear people using it in ways that I wouldn't, but if like minded people are on the same page, that's all that counts.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 11-22-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
If you didn't call it a jam when a group of people got together to play music, what did you call it then?
It was a word that was never used in my location with any of the players that I worked with. Growing up in the delta in the 60's I come to know and play with some guys that were into delta & chicago blues, r&b, western swing and classic country that never referred to playing as jamming in those genres.

When we got together it was either to practice or do a job and not to jam (whatever that is) lol and that's what we'd say...simply like "we got a job or let's practice...

I do get together with one or two guys occasionally but we don't say "hey man you wanna jam" but rather "you wanna get together and play some tunes"...the other word sounds like a trainwreck lol sorry but it does to me
Old 11-22-2023, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
.the other word sounds like a trainwreck lol sorry but it does to me
Nothing to be sorry about. If you feel silly saying jam, don't say it. Lets get together and play some tunes works. I mean, that's what this thread is about, not the word jam, but getting together with other musicians to play tunes, or songs if one prefers songs over tunes.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Last edited by rllink; 11-22-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:04 PM

Odd how this has devolved into semantics, like "I don't know what a plectrum is but I play with a pick". I guarantee up here in the PNW in the bluegrass community we all know what a "jam" is.

Call it what you want or don't. The act of meeting with other musicians to play music simply for fun and social interaction, mutual support, share songs, maybe even learn something - as opposed to entertaining an audience or rehearsing for entertaining an audience - is something you get or you don't.

If you know you know. If you don't I can't explain it to you.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
When a jam works, there’s nothing like it. The spontaneous creation of good music with other people is a rush, and and the look on our faces that says “that was so cool!” doesn’t need words. But a lot of jams die an embarrassing death and fizzle out - but I’ll still almost always give it a shot if asked.
I have to agree. There's a fine line between a car crash and a jam session producing something magical out of nowhere. We used to have a bluegrass jam in a pub in Tremadog, and some nights it was really kicking. A great bunch of friends to play with. Sadly, not all are here anymore.

This is a recording from one of those jam sessions.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 11-24-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:05 PM

The first 10 years that I played guitar, I played alone. This was due to not having other musicians near me. However when I relocated, I fell in with several players. Since then I have played in jams, song circles, picking circles, and several other kinds of gatherings to make music. Its all good.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:29 PM

In the UK a group of musicians getting together to play traditional tunes was called a session. A group of singers who sing, one at a time, was called a singaround. I've not done either for maybe ten years so I don't know the current names. A Jam was a group of jazz or blues players and improvisation was the main deal.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
. A Jam was a group of jazz or blues players and improvisation was the main deal.
Were not a jazz jam, we are a bluegrass jam, but there is some of that improvisation going on. Lots of solo breaks, individual musicians doing their runs and their own little embellishments. The one thing I like about it is that we have other instruments and not everyone is locked into doing the same thing.

I've been to some where people brought their music printed out and passed it around so everyone could be on the same page, which is fine with me, but I would rather sit in on something a little more spontanious and freewheeling. Anyway it is done though, I'm in. I want to play music and I'm not particular how they have it set up.

When I'm travelling and if I'm going to be somewhere for a while, I get on the internet and search local jams. I've played with and met some really great people doing that, and learned a lot. I guess if we are going to discuss the meaning of the word though, I might have to expand my search for some of these other words and phrases that people use in place of "jam" and see what I find.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

Last edited by rllink; 11-23-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 04:24 PM

To kinda-sorta explain my aversion to that word lol and having never played in that situation or wanted to. Playing through the years has sure taken a toll/turn on my likes/needs. I'm 72 now and played the chittlin circuit for many a years 4-6 nites a week working mostly with player friends in several different genre groups.

I do have a few friends still left nowadays that ask me to come to a local jam they have every week. Most the attendees have always been home players, young rocker types or new or semi-new players and like an oppertunity to get out to play and socialize and that fine for them to get a taste. I politely decline and offer them an invitation to stop by my house anytime and that we'll work on a few things for both our benefit. I do enjoy having a couple of friends new to playing come by and showing them a few things and practice tips

I should have shut up awhile back lol but whatever brings anyone enjoyment is fine with me. Now being an anti-social recluse my musical enjoyment comes from playing/practicing with 1or2 folks at most at our homes and at home learning... not socializing and jamming.

life of a musical introvert

Last edited by Jaxon; 11-23-2023 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2023, 05:59 AM

Really informative discussion. I took up playing music at 58 and I'm now 77, realized some time ago that I wasn't ever going to "master" anything so I've let myself venture into classical guitar, finger style guitar, clawhammer banjo, mandolin, ragtime, and ukulele. I keep myself entertained most mornings, and play with a good friend once a week. He's much better than I am and his son was my first teacher. I always learn the truth about where I am when we play together, and his son returned from the Southwest last week. I had been working on a tango arrangement every morning for the last two months, the boy played it beautifully on his lap steel after hearing it once. Of course I was initially infuriated, but the truth is it did nothing but made me aware once again of the mystery of music. I have intended to have a party in my house almost twenty years after I gave my first, disastrous, recital there. Still working up to it. We have old-time "jams" here pretty frequently and I'm still working on bringing an instrument to them. I regret nothing, it all gives me something to look forward to.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I have to agree. There's a fine line between a car crash and a jam session producing something magical out of nowhere. We used to have a bluegrass jam in a pub in Tremadog, and some nights it was really kicking. A great bunch of friends to play with. Sadly, not all are here anymore.

This is a recording from one of those jam sessions.

Mr. Robin, that was a great jam on WBB. Are you playing dulcimer or guitar on that particular jam? I really enjoyed it--nice playing all around!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write