The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-29-2023, 09:41 AM

Default Positive Grid and other table top amps

I've been hard pressed to find a decent Amp in a box/multi-effect pedal so that I can go direct to my PA with my electric
So these table top amp got me thinking... Maybe this would be a better way to go direct with just a little heavier carry over a pedal board.
I have a Line6 MK2 spider 20 but it doesn't have line out or an easy way to change channels..Could mic it but channel changing is still a problem

So what about one of those Positive grids amps.. Which one ? It would need a line out and a way to change channels for an OD sound

Maybe a Katana Head with the built in speaker??

I mean these cost about the same as a pedal...like the Tonex-IR200-PodGo..etc.,

Could make more sense?
Old 09-29-2023, 10:32 AM

I have the Spark Mini and Go. I like both of them. With the Go you need to optimize placement to get good bass response (see my thread).

I keep the Go in my gig bag at gigs as a backup to my UA Dream 65. It works really well if you don't need foot switches (I have the UA programmed to boost with the left foot switch, but I generally just use the volume control on my guitar).

For no PA house party gigs, I bring the Mini. However, when my duo practices I use the Go as it keeps up with a Martin HD-28 with volume to spare.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-29-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I have the Spark Mini and Go. I like both of them. With the Go you need to optimize placement to get good bass response (see my thread).

I keep the Go in my gig bag at gigs as a backup to my UA Dream 65. It works really well if you don't need foot switches (I have the UA programmed to boost with the left foot switch, but I generally just use the volume control on my guitar).

For no PA house party gigs, I bring the Mini. However, when my duo practices I use the Go as it keeps up with a Martin HD-28 with volume to spare.
How do you get the sound to the PA ?? Headphone jack ?
Old 09-29-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
How do you get the sound to the PA ?? Headphone jack ?
Yes. The Go is pretty forgiving and any 3.5mm to 1/4” adapter will do. The Mini’s output stage goes unstable if you short tip and ring together so you need to choose your adapter more carefully (use tip or ring mono, and leave the other unconnected or shorted to ground).

With both use the app to select mono out.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-30-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:19 PM

I continue to value my Spark 40 and use it every day.

Last edited by AX17609; 12-20-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:45 PM

I'm a big fan of the spark 40..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-30-2023, 08:13 PM

Line levels and headphone outputs are close enough (in volts RMS) for rock and roll. There are two line level standards 12 dB apart anyway.

Jon Fields
Old 10-02-2023, 09:21 AM

Ordered the Mini we'll see if this is any easier to make "My" four sounds and if I can get it close enough so that its an easy change plus using it as a monitor
Old 10-02-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Ordered the Mini we'll see if this is any easier to make "My" four sounds and if I can get it close enough so that its an easy change plus using it as a monitor
Here are two options to go from 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS that won't short tip and ring (left and right) together. Most modern audio ICs can handle this, but whatever Positive Grid designed into the Mini does not like it.

High End Solution (it's on Amazon and can be bought direct). It works perfectly everywhere and nothing is shorted to ground, if that matters to you (not to a modern circuit):

https://castlineusa.com/index.php/ca...with-resistors

This is fine too (it shorts ring to ground or floats ring, on the amp side), for a lot less money. There is no reason to pay for a high end cable to connect line and headphone level signals. It will not work into a TRS 1/4" balanced input. No problems TS or stereo TRS.

https://hosatech.com/products/analog...nects/cms-100/

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-02-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:36 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Here are two options to go from 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS that won't short tip and ring (left and right) together. Most modern audio ICs can handle this, but whatever Positive Grid designed into the Mini does not like it.

High End Solution (it's on Amazon and can be bought direct). It works perfectly everywhere and nothing is shorted to ground, if that matters to you (not to a modern circuit):

https://castlineusa.com/index.php/ca...with-resistors

This is fine too (it shorts ring to ground or floats ring, on the amp side), for a lot less money. There is no reason to pay for a high end cable to connect line and headphone level signals. It will not work into a TRS 1/4" balanced input. No problems TS or stereo TRS.

https://hosatech.com/products/analog...nects/cms-100/
Thanks, I'll be ordering this
Old 10-10-2023, 03:40 PM

I spent some time yesterday tweaking my Spark Go to sound closer to my UA Dream 65 through my QSC CP-8 mounted on a pole (like a gig).

While I could not get a close replica, I did get a very nice usable tone.

This Saturday I have a gig and I'm leaving the Dream 65 home and only taking the Spark Go. I'll report back.

BTW, for the first time I used the Spark Go's tuner while having the Spark App open on my phone. Wow!!! It seems to be one of the most stable, useful tuners I've ever tried. It is a solution for fine tuning in direct sunlight as my phone display is quite bright when it needs to be.

Jon Fields
Old 10-11-2023, 08:49 AM

I ended up sending my Spark mini back... As much as it was one of the best sounding if not the best sounding battery tabletop amp I ever played.. I just felt it wasn't enough for me to add to my gear over the Zoom G1Four I have... Sure it sounded better but not enough for me to drop the Zoom over it, also considering the $200 price tag
Old 12-10-2023, 12:43 PM

The Spark Mini and Yamaha THR are fantastic. They have nice features beyond great tone. Not all really small amps have reverb or the practice features.

My son and I might be trading the THR 10 and Spark mini with each other. Like me he appreciates the manual controls and all the I/O options. My short-term interest is just compactness and pure battery power.

We thought both of these stand out among lots of good competition if you like clean tone. From my having a Trio pedal and other popular types of pedals, THR does effects loop.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I've been hard pressed to find a decent amp in a box/multi-effect pedal so that I can go direct to my PA with my electric
So these table top amp got me thinking...Maybe this would be a better way to go direct with just a little heavier carry over a pedal board.

I have a Line6 MK2 Spider 20 but it doesn't have line out or an easy way to change channels..Could mic it but channel changing is still a problem...
Not exactly table-top at 26 pounds, but at $239 on sale it's in the same ballpark as a half-decent multi-effect pedal (and less than many TT amps) - with the advantages of USB/XLR/headphone outs, three scalable power levels (including mute for recording/silent-stage situations), and footswitch capability:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ombo-amplifier
Old 12-11-2023, 11:02 AM

I am unclear on your description of "a decent Amp in a box/multi-effect pedal," which is why I suspect the answers you're getting are all over the board. If I understand your question (which may not be the case), I think something like the Tech 21 RK5 Flyrig V2 may be something like you're looking for. I lack accurate capacity to describe easily what this does, so in my limited fashion, this is a multi-effect, multi-pedal guitar device that sits between your guitar and either an amp or a DAW. Combining effects and switching part on and off result in a myriad of effects without the need to adjust settings on the output device. Here's a 13 minute review that goes through the basics.

I have the V1. The V2 adds and moves things around, giving even more capability.

If it's not what you are looking for, or what you meant, then just move on to the next response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars