The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-21-2024, 10:38 AM

Default No more bragging 11 years GAS-free with this iconoclast Strat.

The real point of visiting Dave's HQ was picking up my prepared amp but I confess some interest in a moving bridge and surfy guitar.

If you don't know Dave's, this was just one of 470 Stratocasters in inventory. The G&L Legacy and PRS Silver Sky models take that well past 500. With eyes shut, ears open and hands on it stood out. It has little use, some dings and in a way that kind of made it perfect too.

It was SO much fun comparing the range of models, new, used, the G&Ls and PRS models.

I know the solid rosewood neck makes it an iconoclast but still, it seems fitting for a Daphne blue Stratocaster to sit in a real vintage Bertoia chair.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Well! Congrats on that new Strat! Very cool!

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2024, 10:52 AM

Wow, I love the RW on the headstock. Classy!
Old 01-21-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Wow, I love the RW on the headstock. Classy!
Thank you.

It's solid rosewood - not a cap or veneer. It did not sound noticeably different than other AM Pro models new or used and others similar with maple or the rosewood cap on maple. The Fender documentation says it is a rubbed oil finish and it is definitely a different and nice feel over a lacquer, gloss urethane or satin finish.

It is also what are called tall vintage or maybe 6105 frets. I'm not a real bendy sort of player nor very talented so am really sloppy with the big fret guitars.

I don't know if solid rosewood would be a value liability or issue in the future. With eyes shut and ears open I liked it and found the mix of different and tradition kind of neat.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Thank you.

It's solid rosewood - not a cap or veneer. It did not sound noticeably different than other AM Pro models new or used and others similar with maple or the rosewood cap on maple. The Fender documentation says it is a rubbed oil finish and it is definitely a different and nice feel over a lacquer, gloss urethane or satin finish.

It is also what are called tall vintage or maybe 6105 frets. I'm not a real bendy sort of player nor very talented so am really sloppy with the big fret guitars.

I don't know if solid rosewood would be a value liability or issue in the future. With eyes shut and ears open I liked it and found the mix of different and tradition kind of neat.
I'm very bendy myself! I try and break the neck each time I pick up the guitar. I really love the look of your Strat. Play it in good health!
Old 01-21-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

That's a beautiful guitar. Congrats.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:31 PM

That’s beautiful! Is there a weight difference with the rosewood?
Old 01-22-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
That’s beautiful! Is there a weight difference with the rosewood?
I'm not absolutely sure. I did not do my typical obsessive homework. Some after the fact reading hints to rosewood as heavier than maple. It rounds up to 8.2 pounds but trying many (I was at Dave's HQ store after all) it did not seem heavy in use vs reading the number.

It is hard to describe but the more I tried many new and used Fender, G&L & PRS in a huge price range, the more it seemed great. It seems like great luck that it came into their used inventory when it did.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:31 AM

That looks sweet

I love Seafoam finishes!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-22-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm not absolutely sure. I did not do my typical obsessive homework. Some after the fact reading hints to rosewood as heavier than maple. It rounds up to 8.2 pounds but trying many (I was at Dave's HQ store after all) it did not seem heavy in use vs reading the number.

It is hard to describe but the more I tried many new and used Fender, G&L & PRS in a huge price range, the more it seemed great. It seems like great luck that it came into their used inventory when it did.
If you're not having any neck drop, that would be the main thing....sounds like you're not!
Old 01-23-2024, 08:07 AM

That is one smoking hot looking Strat. I love the color and the solid rosewood neck and headstock. Very, very cool.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
If you're not having any neck drop, that would be the main thing....sounds like you're not!
Making sure I understand you..... It has some better than many imperfection I've seen with the bolt on type and moving bridge with the way strings align but not a heavy neck drop/droop like my PRS Hollowbody I had or like my Thinline Telecaster has a light body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars