The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I love my J185. It was kind of a bucket list guitar and I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on one. Sweetwater heavily discounted them at the end of last year.
I had one for over 20 years. I wasn’t playing much acoustic at the time so during Covid, I moved it. I wish I hadn’t sold it.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-27-2024, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

I see what the others see, where the saddle looks like it is leaning a little and sort of concave in the middle... it may need a new, properly fit saddle. Did the guitar come from a region where it is usually dry? does the fingerboard extension take a little dive ? ifso it could be dry...
Old 04-28-2024, 03:31 AM

Default Overset better than underset?

The neck is a little overset, but as long as this is not excessive it can be a good thing as the the neck/body geometry changes over time. Your string height above the body is quite low, but that’s only really an issue if the sound is found wanting.

When setting a neck I aim for around 4 mm of saddle protection above the bridge, but tiny adjustments in neck angle can make a significant difference at the bridge.

You certainly need a better fitting saddle though. Even with an under-saddle pickup there shouldn’t be an obvious gap, the saddle just needs to sit in the slot without undue pressure. The same goes guitars without under-saddle pickups to my mind, if the saddle is tight in the slot any bridge shrinkage can cause cracks.

Your current setup figures are near perfect, so I’d get a new bone saddle made that fits properly and copy the top surface shape if intonation is already spot on. My bet is that in a few years you may be glad of the extra saddle height.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion