The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-30-2017, 02:26 AM

Default Thoughts on a Randall Rg50TC tube amp

Hi guys, Ive only been playing 6 months and have a line 6 spider 3 15watt amp.
Was looking at getting something a bit better and am looking at a Randall RG50TC tube amp tomorrow which the guy wants $200 AUD ONO.

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this amp is? I dont really need some fancy $1000 tube screamer amp as I only play at home so will this do? The reviews on it seem good.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Here's a Guitar Player mag review from 2007:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/miscell...randall-rg50tc

I've been in this game for 55 years, played every major amp make (and a whole bunch of minor/defunct ones) on the market from original 1930's Gibsons/Epiphones to the current crop of modelers, and IME unless you're a full-time headbanger you're likely not going to be happy with a post-1985 Randall of any type. BTW the first- and second-generation (pre-'85) RG combos (solid-state, two independent channels, orange- or grey-stripe front-panel cosmetics) are excellent amps: loads of silverface Fender-style tone and clean power (up to 300W), extremely rugged, come in a variety of speaker configurations, take pedals exceptionally well, and grossly undervalued/underappreciated - I've seen good examples selling for US$175-250, and speaking as the owner of a grey-stripe RB-120 1x15" combo (my jazz guitar/old-school bass amp) well worth seeking one out if you place a premium on near-zero maintenance and high reliability...

While you're right in that you don't need a $1000 amp for mostly home playing, you also don't want to shortchange yourself; you will be playing out, probably sooner than later - count on it - and your desire for "something a bit better" suggests that you recognize the need for something more than what your current rig is giving you. If you've never played through a good tube amp - one that's not targeted to a single genre of music (PSA: "good electric guitar tone" isn't necessarily about massive amounts of gain/distortion) - you need to hit a few of the local music stores and tune your ear; although I often use solid-state amps for their power/weight advantages (tube amps can be heavy for their size), there's just something magic in what a half-dozen or so little glass bottles can do for your tone - and there's a reason this nine-decade-old technology is still relevant. There are a number of reasonably-priced tube combos out there that'll take you from the bedroom to the stage - Fender, Marshall, Blackstar, Vox, Bugera (my personal favorite), Egnater, Peavey, just to name a few - and IME you'd be remiss if you don't check out at least a few of them before you make a final decision...
Old 12-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
Hi guys, Ive only been playing 6 months and have a line 6 spider 3 15watt amp.
Was looking at getting something a bit better and am looking at a Randall RG50TC tube amp tomorrow which the guy wants $200 AUD ONO.

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this amp is? I dont really need some fancy $1000 tube screamer amp as I only play at home so will this do? The reviews on it seem good.
You need a better amp. Save up and skip Randall junk.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:45 PM

Ok now I dont know what to do as Ive had others tell me that this Randall is a good model. And reviews of it online seem to say its okay for home use but not at gigs and I was only going to use out at home.

My main thinking was that its a full tube amp for only $200 AUD. I doubt if Im ever going to be able to afford a better tube amp later down the track for $1000. Should I even be worried about getting a tube amp? Ive read a lot of stuff online that says solid state amps are a lot better these days.

Last edited by Troyboi; 12-30-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:13 AM

Ive found an Ashton Viper 50 tube amp with foot pedal for $190 Aud. How does this sound?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 AM

Being in Australia and trying to find a good tube guitar amp is a frustrating situation, since all of the tube amps that are the standards in the US and most of the world - Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange, etc. - cost so very much more in Oz.

Of the major brands, Vox seems to have the least onerous pricing penalty - An AC4 is $449 AUD. (For comparison, a Fender Pro Junior is $849 AUD - Ouch!)

If it were me, I'd be on the lookout for something used.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Being in Australia and trying to find a good tube guitar amp is a frustrating situation, since all of the tube amps that are the standards in the US and most of the world - Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange, etc. - cost so very much more in Oz.

Of the major brands, Vox seems to have the least onerous pricing penalty - An AC4 is $449 AUD. (For comparison, a Fender Pro Junior is $849 AUD - Ouch!)

If it were me, I'd be on the lookout for something used.
Im not sure what you mean? All those prices I quoted were for used. There is no way I could get a band new one for under $1000.00
Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 AM

Hi Troyboi, what kind of music are you looking to play? That will help with some recommendations.

I just looked at the specs on the Randall. Do you think you'll use the vintage voiced channel/mode or the modern (which I assume can get very heavy with lots of gain)?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Im not sure what you mean? All those prices I quoted were for used. There is no way I could get a band new one for under $1000.00
" brand new one " what exactly ? A brand new guitar amp of any kind or specific brand ?

Let's back up .... You already stated you have the Line 6 and want to improve on that yes ? . So if your wanting to improve on that the first thing to do is decide on an actual budget range your willing to spend . Is your budget actually $1000 AUD and under, or is it $200 AUD and under ?
If it is $200 and under, then yes arguably used is going to the only way your going to see any noticeable improvement (if any)

But if it is indeed $1000 and under, then the options appear to actually include a number of new amps , according to this website there are actually a fair number of Amps that can be purchased new for $1000 AUD or under .

https://www.haworthguitars.com.au/products/amplifiers/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-31-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I meant that I would look for a used tube combo amp from one of the first-rate manufacturers instead, like Vox or Fender or Marshall.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:54 AM

At this stage my budget is around $200 but I could increase that a bit if I saw a decent amp that was another $100 or so. I certainly can’t afford $1000 so new is out.

As for the type of music I like to play...heavy metal is out. I like rock, blues, country that sort of thing so I’m looking for an amp that can do all that. Nice and clean. So the Randall might be out as I’ve read it’s good for heavy metal.

But the Ashton vypr is supposed to be good for that.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
...There is no way I could get a brand new one for under $1000.00
Think again:

http://www.ellaways.com.au/bugera-v2...amp-combo.html

You could probably get it for under AU$800 if you deal by phone/in person - and speaking as a happy owner (one of several here on the Electric Guitars subforum, BTW) you may never need another amp...

Hang in there and save your money - it's well worth it...
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Amps in Australia
Old 12-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
At this stage my budget is around $200 but I could increase that a bit if I saw a decent amp that was another $100 or so. I certainly can’t afford $1000 so new is out.

As for the type of music I like to play...heavy metal is out. I like rock, blues, country that sort of thing so I’m looking for an amp that can do all that. Nice and clean. So the Randall might be out as I’ve read it’s good for heavy metal.

But the Ashton vypr is supposed to be good for that.
Are tube amps more expensive in Australia than in the US? If that's your max I wonder if you're better off either saving until you have more cash or getting a very nice used solid state amp, something better than your Spider?

There's a Peavey Vypr and an Ashton Viper. I'm not familiar with the Ashton but based on your post it sounds like it may suit your needs?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Are tube amps more expensive in Australia than in the US? If that's your max I wonder if you're better off either saving until you have more cash or getting a very nice used solid state amp, something better than your Spider?

There's a Peavey Vypr and an Ashton Viper. I'm not familiar with the Ashton but based on your post it sounds like it may suit your needs?
For any US made amps the exchange rate is a big part of the problem the AUD $ is aprox .78 percent of the USD, so about the dollar figure in Australian Dollars is going to be some 22% higher before any shipping and import tax etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars