The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-02-2020, 07:52 PM

Default Ibanez Electrics - any fans?

Anyone fans of Ibanez electrics? Doesn't matter if it's the '70s lawsuits, archtops, or shredders.

I'm thinking about getting an S series (similar to the popular RG 'shredder' series). Going to try some out this week-end. They're going to feel dramatically different than my Gibsons.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone fans of Ibanez electrics? Doesn't matter if it's the '70s lawsuits, archtops, or shredders.

I'm thinking about getting an S series (similar to the popular RG 'shredder' series). Going to try some out this week-end. They're going to feel dramatically different than my Gibsons.
I had a Les Paul copy in about 78 or 79 that I really liked and a Scofield semi-hollow within the past couple of years that was one of the nicest guitars I’ve played. I always really dug the old Bob Weir signature models too but never had one. No experience with their shredder models though.

-Ray
Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 PM

I have 3 Ibanez electrics. A GRG120 (now with Seymour Duncan JB and 59 pu's), an AG95 (bubinga), and an older ARC (mahogany with maple top in violin burst). All well-made guitars with nice necks and I've never had any problems with any of them. Unfortunately, I'm generally not a fan of the stock pu's. Considering DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary for the AG (stock are Super 58's).

Good luck with your new Ibanez!
Old 01-02-2020, 08:38 PM

Ever since I attended a Steve Vai concert locally (modern venue with good acoustics) and was treated to his carefully balanced all tube (Carvin) amplification performance with virtuosos on bass & drums, in which the packed house was glued to his every move on his no.1 white/ pearl pickguard JEM workhorse - truly roadworn - I’ve been interested - of course the Japanese made JEM is a handcrafted multi-k$ instrument line, but the JEMJR comes in at about $1K, made in Indonesia, I believe.

I’ll be interested in following your progress/ pursuit of the Ibanez RG or S
Old 01-02-2020, 08:41 PM

Never cashed in on any of the early electrics - I loved the '70s archtops (BTW George Benson used a lawsuit Johnny Smith before his signature model was developed), and I'm sorry I never bought one of those cherryburst AR300's - but I've been pretty successful with their basses: first long-scale I owned was a mid-80's Roadstar II P/J, have an early-2K's SR405 5-string that punches way above its weight, keep a Mikro in the stash for jamming - and then there's the mid-80s cedar/RW acoustic that looked like a Larrivee with a classical rosette and could fill a 400-seat house without amplification...
Old 01-02-2020, 08:49 PM

I just received an Ibanez AM93 the day after Xmas. It’s a semi hollow body which is smaller than the Gibson 335, and more like the 339 size wise. The guitar is beautiful and quality built. I can detect no finish defects, including around the “f” holes, although the fret surfaces could use some polishing. Having it only a week, I enjoy this guitar immensely. I like the feel of the neck and to my ears the hum buckers sound great! Hopefully, I will continue to feel this way as time passes.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 PM

All three of my Ibanez electric guitars were flawless as far as fit and finish goes. Never noticed any defects in any of them and they seem to hold up well over time. I've had my first Ibanez since early 2000's.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 AM

I notice here in Canada, Long & McQuade has the Ibanez RG350DXZ in white for $800 new - I think this has been their most common overall Superstrat model for some decades now. Thanks Dru, I’m now interested in having one of these on the stand in my living area just to look at!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 AM

I love my RG350MDX. I paid next to nothing for it as it was missing a couple of parts and looked a mess. I got the new parts (string block, whammy bar and arm height screw), cleaned it up (guitar polish and car body rubbing compound!), strung it up with 10s (had to add a fourth spring) and hated it...

Then I strung it up with 9s, took off the extra spring and it’s a fantastic guitar! Shredders aren’t really my thing (though I wish I could play like Steve Vai!) but there’s something about this guitar that makes me want to keep it. The MDX was a relatively limited edition maple fingerboard model (350 is usually rosewood or something else dark) and is my only maple neck guitar. I’ve read criticism of the pickups in some online reviews and forums but for me they work just fine - I’m never going to need thrash levels of distortion.

Being a rock guitar I’d rarely choose to play it clean though the clean sounds are fine.

Apart from that my fretless bass is an Ibanez Musician MC940 Musician. A classic and a beauty - heavy but with a neck to die for. I’ve had this bass for over 30 years and it’s not going anywhere!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-03-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I love my RG350MDX. I paid next to nothing for it as it was missing a couple of parts and looked a mess. I got the new parts (string block, whammy bar and arm height screw), cleaned it up (guitar polish and car body rubbing compound!), strung it up with 10s (had to add a fourth spring) and hated it...

Then I strung it up with 9s, took off the extra spring and it’s a fantastic guitar! Shredders aren’t really my thing (though I wish I could play like Steve Vai!) but there’s something about this guitar that makes me want to keep it. The MDX was a relatively limited edition maple fingerboard model (350 is usually rosewood or something else dark) and is my only maple neck guitar. I’ve read criticism of the pickups in some online reviews and forums but for me they work just fine - I’m never going to need thrash levels of distortion.

Being a rock guitar I’d rarely choose to play it clean though the clean sounds are fine.

Apart from that my fretless bass is an Ibanez Musician MC940 Musician. A classic and a beauty - heavy but with a neck to die for. I’ve had this bass for over 30 years and it’s not going anywhere!
Awesome! Maple neck and you have it balanced up with 9s, of course!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:00 AM

My 7 string is perhaps one of the best electric guitars I have ever touched.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 AM

Default Ibanez Electrics - any fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Awesome! Maple neck and you have it balanced up with 9s, of course!

I’m very happy with it! All in all it has cost me around 1400 Swedish crowns (maybe $160-170) and at a pinch might be worth up to 2500-3000. New they are around 4500-5000 crowns. Used Ibanez RGs are very common in Sweden though so somebody would have to want the maple neck model for me to get a decent resale on it - if I was selling it ever.

I rarely play the kind of rock music it’s ideal for but I have used it on two professional gigs since getting it 4 years ago. It’s a lovely guitar to play though so it’s worth keeping around just in case I get the call...!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 01-03-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Isn’t the S series based on Satriani’s design? They look very nice ergonomically and of course we know how they can sound!

If I remember correctly Ibanez approached Satriani fairly early on in his career and suggested designing a signature model for him. Before that there was no model exactly like that one.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-03-2020, 08:55 AM

Had a AS73 es335 style, fine git with nice feel and finish; but I was wearing through the frets really fast...so let it go before needing a fret job.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 AM

i got an ibanez bass right now- i did have a guitar- really liked the appearance and neck action- but i never did get along with the dual humbuckers, strangely it didnt have any ID numbers on it, but was the AX220QM model
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars