The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybagadonutz View Post

Some of the prices from these private luthiers are insane. Like Mike Greenfield. He's charging $18,000 for a practically naked fanned fret. It's not even Koa either. Come on man. I could buy a new car for that amount of money. Lets just say I'd feel more comfortable attempting to build the guitar than the car.
I know what you mean, but Greenfield guitars are simply amazing. The amount of time & effort that goes into one of his builds is insane. If I could afford one I would but I could never justify paying that much on any guitar. I always wondered why custom guitars cost so much, but after joining this forum I realised why.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindeman View Post
Thanks, Larry. Wonder if this is the guy; Blues Creek Guitars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-Guitar-ki...5#ht_720wt_958
Blues Creek are great guitars. he is a member of the official luthiers forum and puts a lot of work into making tutorials and other things. A very helpful guy and his tutorials have been extremely handy.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Joey, I'm building my first, from Stewart-Mcdonald. Their prices are in line with LMI, but like someone said, LMI offers a lot of variety in wood choices that Stew-mac doesn't. John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars is a great guy to deal with. He's very helpful and he hand selects his woods from Martin. He also offers a variety, and his prices are good too. Then there's KMG guitars, where you can talk to Ken and tell him what you want. He will put it together. And, lol, his prices are in line too. Also, he will sell you a kit with a mold and other jigs that you need. If you were to buy the kit and then those tools/jigs separately, you'd spend more than he charges. All those listed below will thickness, sand and bend sides for you.
One thing of note, though, is you will spend as much on tools and other needs as you will spend on the kit, unless you have a fully equipped shop already. I've probably spent $1100-1200 on mine so far, but I didn't have a small router or mold, or much of anything in the way of luthier tools. Any other guitars I build will be much cheaper since I now have most of what I need.
I'm on Kitguitarforum all the time, getting help from the guys there about procedures, etc. It's a good place to use as a resource, as is this site. I get
a lot of inspiration here on future guitar builds from looking at what the pros do. Bill Cory's books are good too, especially the one on building a Martin-style guitar. He covers all the steps.
You can buy videos too - some are included with kits by LMI and Stewmac.
Even though I mentioned the cost above the kit cost, I got hooked and intend to make at least 3 more. Those won't have the tooling expenses. Plus even if my guitar will not be confused with one done by a professional luthier, it'll be very special since I built it. Not to mention there's a blood stain that will be evidence of what I put into it.
Enjoy building yours, I hope you do well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair