The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
W/ a Stew Mac neck you've devalued the guitar beyond the broken headstock issue.
How? It's a relatively modern D-28; arguably the most common Martin design. It's just a glue joint and some shims. You can keep the old neck around in case some future buyer thinks it adds value to the guitar.

Ontoppathat, there are several luthiers around these forums that could build a neck from an available blank indistinguishable by a layman from the original.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
Back a while ago I was so unlucky that my D-28 was knocked over and the headstock snapped from the neck. I just recently got it glued together again so it's functional, but my tech and luthier can't guarantee that it will hold forever,
The repair linked could be visually better.

I believe you have enough structure there to be able to cosmetically make it flawless, so a new neck may not be warranted.

Should you decide to have a new neck made for it, I can only give you an example using my own experiences, it would take me around 11hrs to complete a new neck / painted / fretted etc, that would be a mirror image of what you started with and no one would know its a new neck, add another 2 to fit and set the guitar up, so that is 13 billable hrs, for my locality that is 780 plus taxes.

Someone local to you, should be capable of doing either option. Ask around at local gigs.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-20-2018, 06:15 AM

I would just finish the repair with stain, CA fill and nitro lacquer and call it done. It should look 10 times better than it does now.
There is plenty of surface area on that break to be strong enough for any type of normal use.....including repeated tightening and loosening of the strings for different tunings.
My advice is to continue using the original neck, and keep it away from hot cars that can soften the glue. Overheating causes most of the damage I see in the repair business. If the joint fails again, a successful repair becomes more difficult, but not impossible. Given enough time and money, anything can be repaired.

Last edited by John Arnold; 02-20-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

I have seen a couple of head stock repairs done to similar breaks and they were never spotless but they all looked better then the pics you posted. A good tech might be able to undo the repair and make it better.

However I am not an expert so take this with a grain or salt
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Mbroady;5645650... A good tech might be able to undo the repair and make it better....[/QUOTE]

Perhaps but undoing a bad repair is very difficult.

A good repair could have been stable and almost invisible,

Doing it poorly made things worse and I think undoing that poor repair job will be very difficult, so that repair probably made things worse.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 AM

I have revisited these by replacing the headstock veneer and doing an abbreviated backstrap repair on the backside. That will strengthen the repair and make it totally invisible from the front. Martins don't always break through the front of the peghead because the rosewood veneer is relatively thick (1/16") and has some strength. In that case, the repair is simplified because there is no issue with alignment. Guitars like Gibsons with no headstock veneer almost always break all the way off (like this one did).

An abbreviated backstrap involves cutting a shallow scoop in the neck, extending at least 3/4" on either side of where the break exits on the back of the neck. This scoop (which is easily accomplished with a 3" drum sander in a drill press) is cut the deepest at the break, and usually around 1/8" to 3/16" deep. With the 28 style diamond volute, that may mean removing some or all of it and replacing it with new wood. A slightly curved (concave) surface is best, and grain alignment of the patch is important for strength. I like to heat bend the patch to fit the curvature of the scoop....that is incredibly strong.
I have done this (as well as the complete backstrap described by Frank Ford on Frets.com) on numerous occasions and it has been 100% successful...even on those that have been unsuccessfully reglued multiple times.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...phoverlay.html

Last edited by John Arnold; 02-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Guitarmaker's Connection (610) 759-2064
"The number you have dialed is not in service".

I've been trying to contact the Guitarmaker's Connection for some time now. They do not appear to be open for business anymore.

If I had to guess, I'e say that Martin doesn't want people repairing their own guitars. I called them direct last week looking for a bridge and was referred to "my local Martin Repair Station".

Oh well.......
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
"The number you have dialed is not in service".

I've been trying to contact the Guitarmaker's Connection for some time now. They do not appear to be open for business anymore.

If I had to guess, I'e say that Martin doesn't want people repairing their own guitars. I called them direct last week looking for a bridge and was referred to "my local Martin Repair Station".

Oh well.......
Looks like they may have gotten rid of the direct line. I hardly ever call, but I'm in Nazareth once a year. I just go by and pick up what I need. However, you can call the main number and ask for the Guitarmaker's Connection - (610) 759-2837. I just tried that and they transferred me right over. Ask for Gail.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Looks like they may have gotten rid of the direct line. I hardly ever call, but I'm in Nazareth once a year. I just go by and pick up what I need. However, you can call the main number and ask for the Guitarmaker's Connection - (610) 759-2837. I just tried that and they transferred me right over. Ask for Gail.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:15 AM

Gail is the one to talk to. She is very helpful. GMC has limited hours. It is best to call in the morning.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
Really a pity it's so far to ship Bruce, that repair is gobsmacking.
- I'm assuming those are metric bolts !
No doubt they are Whitworth .
Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 AM

As an aside , I looked at your photos . The manner in which the fracture took place is a great example of how quartersawn grain functions .
The grain can be clearly seen as to how it runs in a straight line with the length of the neck . Looking at the broken headstock , the fracture line runs perpendicular to the length of the neck .
Nicely cut wood .
Hope you get satisfaction from this unfortunate situation .
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
As an aside , I looked at your photos . The manner in which the fracture took place is a great example of how quartersawn grain functions .
The grain can be clearly seen as to how it runs in a straight line with the length of the neck . Looking at the broken headstock , the fracture line runs perpendicular to the length of the neck .
Nicely cut wood .
Hope you get satisfaction from this unfortunate situation .
The grain of the neck in that photo runs parallel to the length of the neck. That has little to do with how well it is, or is not, quartersawn.

One of the downsides to a one-piece neck is that the grain is short in the head area of the neck. That weakens the head.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Gail is the one to talk to. She is very helpful. GMC has limited hours. It is best to call in the morning.
Yes, thanks. I did call this morning to get what I needed. I spoke to Angela who helped me out. Gail is the supervisor and was busy at the time.

I'm glad that you can still get parts from C.F. Martin. Although I'm not a luthier, I have a good collection of Martin and other instruments and now and then I need to repair one of them.

Regards.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The grain of the neck in that photo runs parallel to the length of the neck. That has little to do with how well it is, or is not, quartersawn.

One of the downsides to a one-piece neck is that the grain is short in the head area of the neck. That weakens the head.

The volute is there to help compensate . Use a single plane neck and the weak point goes away . No need for a volute .
The manner in which the break occurred does indicate a well quartersawn cut .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair