The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-01-2018, 02:42 AM

Default Help with Zoom and mic settings

Hi all

I have seen a few very interesting posts about optimising recording using a Zoom / mic setup on here with @dougyoung and was hoping he might jump in here with some advice, along with anyone else who might be able to help.

I am using a Zoom H5 along with 2 AT2020 mics to record acoustic guitar only. I will most likely use a spaced pairs set up (as used by Doug in one of his earlier posts) I then import into Auria to mix, before editing with video for YouTube.

Where I am unsure is how to set up the zoom to record - should it be one stereo file or two separate files so that I can pan left and right when I import into Auria to mix?

I have recorded a test file as a single stereo file but cannot discern any difference between this file and previous mono files I recorded using a single mic - I was expecting stereo to offer a much wider soundstage. I cannot pan a singles stereo file in Auria - the pan control is simply a balance control with a single file - in the pervious posts I have seen reference to a manual pan hard left and hard right on editing so can I assume this is two mono files?

Lastly, do you recommend any other specific settings on the Zoom that might be optimal starting points? (Effects / quality etc)

Many thanks in advance

Peter

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-01-2018, 03:20 AM

You can do either. I usually export to a stereo channel - I can always split these in a DAW if necessary but most DAW’s have plugins to control stereo spread etc.

I don’t use any of the in-built effects. It is nice to have them I guess but I’d rather fine tune in the computer.
Martin J40
Old 02-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I use a zoom H5 myself, and have settled on using the Multi-file mode so that the XY mics are in stereo and each mic records to separate tracks. When doing any serious recording I normally just use the mic inputs (1and 2) and pan these [after inport in the DAW] - sometimes hard L and R sometimes a bit more centred, depending on music / guitar / how I feel!

What I also like about this is that I leave the Zoom handy and can quickly grab a recording with the XY mics without thinking about settings.

I have settled on 44.1 kHz / 24 bit in wav format or 48 kHz / 24 bit. I also do not use any of the built in effects, I inport the files to my PC and use a DAW for any changes I require.

I have a fairly large room to record in with what I believe to be reasonable acoustics, so have settled on having the mics at about arms length from the guitar.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 02-01-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I have a Zoom H5 also and in some conversations with Doug Young, he recommended that I leave the lo cut, compression, and limiter features off if I am going to export the file into my DAW.

For basic home recording, I believe the H5 is handy if you don’t want to set up the computer and audio interface box in your recording space but still want to use better mics other than the H5 capsule mics.

It’s nice to have both options to work with. Looking forward to more responses in this thread and learning more.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Hi Wrighty…

If I'm going to edit the audio later (and I always do) even when I use my Zooms I record without any internal effects, EQ, etc. The recording software I edit with gives me more control (and probably better quality control) after the fact.

The beauty of the Zooms is they capture the audio very accurately, and then I can go to work on them afterwards because they are unaffected.

If you shoot pictures, it's like shooting in RAW format rather than JPG (which burns all the settings in).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Thanks all - it seems clear that use of the inbuilt effects is a no go when using a DAW (which I do) to edit / mix.

In terms of the file and whether to use single file and split in the DAW later for pan, or multi file in the H5 - I am still unsure of the benefits of either method.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Thanks all - it seems clear that use of the inbuilt effects is a no go when using a DAW (which I do) to edit / mix.

In terms of the file and whether to use single file and split in the DAW later for pan, or multi file in the H5 - I am still unsure of the benefits of either method.
I hear you on the single versus multi-file. I’m going to try both.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:32 AM

I tried the multi file setting yesterday (panned hard l/R in DAW) and felt it was an improvement.

Would love to hear from some of you other zoom users on this one.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tried the multi file setting yesterday (panned hard l/R in DAW) and felt it was an improvement.

Would love to hear from some of you other zoom users on this one.
In the DAW, did you try putting one track out of phase with the other after you panned them? I’ve seen that recommended when you pan LR mono tracks. Would be curious if that helps too.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 AM

I am a huge fan of the H5. I used to record into my Mac, but the H5 is so good and so easy to record with that now I only record into it, and then upload the wav files. Totally clean. I'm strictly recording solo acoustic and use GarageBand to finalize everything. Let's me do everything I need to do for a solo guitar piece.

I have two Oktava MK-012's that I use in XY. I've messed for countless hours and at the end of the day, this seems to sound the best...and it's really easy to work with. I record in the multi track mode...it's nice because you can easily still record a stereo track while in multi track mode if you want to...simply hold down the #1 button and press the #2 button....flips you between two tracks and stereo. I decided I wanted to mess with adding in a third mic, so I purchased the EXH-6 adaptor and am using a ribbon mic to try and add some "room". Seems to have worked out pretty well. I guess if I'd have known this I'd have purchased the H6, but this works out great. Love my H5..
Old 02-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes if the DAW has effects it is usually better to record dry.
I do not know Auria But generally speaking in a DAW :

A single mono track should have the sound coming from one source mic and should be a single waveform in a single track.
A single stereo track should have two separate waveforms (from two different mics sources) in a single track, and should have a noticeably wider L to R sound stage ( BUT listening on Head Phones or earbuds may not be as noticeable )

Myself I usually record guitar to two individual mono tracks, so I have control over if I wish to eq them slightly differently in order to enhance the stereo effect, and for more precise control over exactly how wide I want the stereo spread (although in some DAWs Like Pro tools ) you actually have two pan knobs on a single stereo track with with you can adjust width.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

I just use the built in mics of the Zoom H5 in stereo mode and then I'll "usb" the track to my pc for editing in Audacity.

I do have other mics to use with the H5, but not a matched pair.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD