The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 PM

Well Scott, thank you for taking the time for such a lengthy and helpful reply.
However, you've given me some choices and that's not good for this old dog.
Heck, I can't even decide which shoe to tie first in the morning !

I really do appreciate the time and effort you put into your posts.

You're a true gentleman!

I'll PM you soon.

Thanks again,
Russ
Old 01-30-2018, 03:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Russ, my pleasure. We work hard to get folks into the right pick, even if it means recommending somebody else's product. I don't really care. The most important thing to me is that someone find a good pick within their price range that improves their performance and enjoyment of playing. It's a big leap from 50 cents a pick to $30 or $40, so it's often best to explore some really cool picks at a sort of interim pricing ($5-10). Those would include Wegens, Dunlop Primetone, Jon Pearse Fast Turtles, and the casein products from Fender and Clayton. We do well because both our red and flame lines are an exclusive world-wide color to CLP. I searched all around the globe for two years for those colors, so when I found them I bought every sheet in sight. Since they no longer make these colors, we basically own the rights.

I could realistically raise the price to $45 - $50 for the teardrop model and our sales would probably even increase, but I don't want to be known as a gouger.

Be well, my friend, and thanks for your questions.

Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-30-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Folks, I forgot to mention one last thing, and it's important. When shopping for an upscale pick from CLP or somebody else, here's a vital thing to look for.

Virtually ALL the best picks on the market over $10, no matter who makes them, are not injection molded. Ever. Why? Because it is physically impossible to produce the compression and pressure necessary for a world-class pick using injection molding. You just can't get there from here.

To give you an idea, Blue Chip and CLP (I believe we are still the only two companies in the world in production with this material) use a brown material made by DuPont. It sells for $1100 for a square 10" x 10" by 1/4" thickness. No, that is not a misprint. $1100. Do the math. Anyway, this is what is known as an engineering thermoplastic. It begins to "soften" a bit at around 1000 F. It officially has no melting point. You CANNOT produce it's mechanical properties through injection molding.

In short, look for vendors who machine (cut) their picks from sheets of solid stock, not injection molding. Who does this? V-Picks, Gravity, BC, Red Bear, CLP, Wegen, Hense, and probably one or two companies I'm forgetting.

If you have any questions, you can post it here or PM me. If we don't make what you're looking for, I'll tell you who does.

Be Well,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-30-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, everyone at AGF, for your continued support.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace