The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Practice, practice, practice. Wish I could give you a shortcut...but if there is one I never found it.
Agreed, try everything that was suggested, some will probably help, but time and practice is the only solution that has ever worked for me.

I also learned that there are as many ways to hold a pick as their are players, and I hold it several different ways depending on what I am playing.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:22 PM

I had the same issue with the pick moving around. So I went to a thumb pick and it works just fine for strumming for me.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 PM

It will get better as you continue to play - everyone goes through this as they start or re-enter the hobby. Just takes practice.

One thing that helped me - I have large hands and struggled with this issue when I started playing again. I found the larger triangle picks to be much easier to grip and control with bigger hands. I like the Clayton .63 and the Dunlop Ultex .73 in the large triangle size. The other benefit is that you can use any of the 3 corners of the pick if it rotates in your grip. They have good tone also.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Do what I do......forego the pick altogether. Nothing between you and your guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 PM

"Magically" the pick has stopped moving around in my fingers now. I think with practise my grip pressure has increased just enough that it is staying in position now. It feels good and so much less frustrating!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Relax your arm and wrist, but keep a firm grip on the pick. Takes practice to separate the two.
I am a beginner in strumming with a flat pick as well and the advice above has been helpful to me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaul73 View Post
"Magically" the pick has stopped moving around in my fingers now. I think with practise my grip pressure has increased just enough that it is staying in position now. It feels good and so much less frustrating!
Nice! Congratulations on staying with it.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write