The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-06-2018, 10:32 AM

Question

Blown away with the Las Vegas Knights! When was the last time a new team came out of the gate this hot?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I take it that Sprong was Sid's linemate? He got his first 2 goals of the season and his 4th in his career.
Yup. Sprong and Simon were Sid's "kids" for the entire game. That line was terrific/dominating, and Sid was the real Sid! Sprong had two goals and Simon had two assists. During the game they showed Sid sitting on the bench with an iPad "coaching" Sprong and Simon. That injection of youth on Sid's line might be just the ticket to getting him fully motivated. Got my fingers crossed! It'll be a good test for them coming up against the red-hot Bruins.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-06-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Yup. Sprong and Simon were Sid's "kids" for the entire game. That line was terrific/dominating, and Sid was the real Sid! Sprong had two goals and Simon had two assists. During the game they showed Sid sitting on the bench with an iPad "coaching" Sprong and Simon. That injection of youth on Sid's line might be just the ticket to getting him fully motivated. Got my fingers crossed! It'll be a good test for them coming up against the red-hot Bruins.
May your words find their way to Sullie’s ear. I place the blame for this slump on his shoulders as well. I feel like the whole team is worrying about being benched or traded.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
May your words find their way to Sullie’s ear. I place the blame for this slump on his shoulders as well. I feel like the whole team is worrying about being benched or traded.
I agree Neil. Sullivan has been changing in-game line combinations almost continuously for several months. Hard for me to understand how any chemistry can develop that way. Last night was the first time I can remember that he kept Sid's line intact for an entire game. I think if he'd have done his usual switching of personnel after the first period then he doesn't get the great results from Sid's line that happened in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

As for the benchings, I especially don't understand the deal with Ian Cole. Seemed like there were others (ie Letang) much more deserving of a seat in the press box than Cole. For all of the great stuff Mike Sullivan has done over the past couple of years I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt on some of his more recent questionable decisions, but he's starting to wear a bit thin for me.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-06-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Blown away with the Las Vegas Knights! When was the last time a new team came out of the gate this hot?
Just read that Vegas had won 8 in a row before losing a couple of nights ago. That tied the longest win streak by an expansion franchise of any of the big 4 sports here - the Nuggets. Amazing what they've done having to go 4 goalies deep.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I agree! I haven't looked it up, but my guess is that an NHL expansion team has never had this kind of success in the first half of their first season. GM George McPhee deserves a lot of credit for his savvy drafting and for hiring Coach Gerard Gallant. Gallant was impressive as the Florida Panther's coach who got that underperforming team turned around and to the top of their division 3 years ago. He was unaccountably fired after a few months the following season, and McPhee made a perfect choice in Gallant to coach a new team. Kudos to the VGK!!!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Just read that Vegas had won 8 in a row before losing a couple of nights ago. That tied the longest win streak by an expansion franchise of any of the big 4 sports here - the Nuggets. Amazing what they've done having to go 4 goalies deep.
No team can match that!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I agree! I haven't looked it up, but my guess is that an NHL expansion team has never had this kind of success in the first half of their first season. GM George McPhee deserves a lot of credit for his savvy drafting and for hiring Coach Gerard Gallant. Gallant was impressive as the Florida Panther's coach who got that underperforming team turned around and to the top of their division 3 years ago. He was unaccountably fired after a few months the following season, and McPhee made a perfect choice in Gallant to coach a new team. Kudos to the VGK!!!
I saw Gerard Gallant play when he was in the AHL in the mid '80s. Went on to be a Red Wings star (and enforcer). He won Canada's Memorial Cup as the Saint John Seadog's head coach (top Canadian junior league where players get drafted to the NHL). I'm sure when he speaks in the dressing room the players listen.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Pens up on the Bruins 3-1 after the first period. Sid with 2 assists. Gotta say I'm surprised. Thought the Pens would lay an egg (they are birds after all).

Bergeron got hit with a shot by Letang late in the period. Hope he's Okay.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Pens up on the Bruins 3-1 after the first period. Sid with 2 assists. Gotta say I'm surprised. Thought the Pens would lay an egg (they are birds after all).

Bergeron got hit with a shot by Letang late in the period. Hope he's Okay.
I'm watching the score flash on TSN. Bruins just tied it. Sounds like Sid is rolling again.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 PM

After the second period it's 5-4 Bruins. Almost all Bruins in the second except for an incredible power play goal by Malkin on a great feed from Crosby with about 4 seconds left in the period. Third period should be a doozy!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
After the second period it's 5-4 Bruins. Almost all Bruins in the second except for an incredible power play goal by Malkin on a great feed from Crosby with about 4 seconds left in the period. Third period should be a doozy!
I just found the game on tv. 10 minutes left. I'm in a hotel room in Chicago and I didn't think the game would be on here.

5-5. Sid with 3 points.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 PM

Pens win 6-5 in OT!!! Malkin with the game winner.

What a game! Both teams played great, and gave it everything they had. Murray stopping Marchand on a penalty shot with 1 minute left in regulation was sport drama at its finest!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Pens win 6-5 in OT!!! Malkin with the game winner.

What a game! Both teams played great, and gave it everything they had. Murray stopping Marchand on a penalty shot with 1 minute left in regulation was sport drama at its finest!
The 12 minutes of the game I saw Crosby was playing great. 7 points in the past 2 games. He was one of the 3 stars of the Week. Bergeron was another star.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
The 12 minutes of the game I saw Crosby was playing great. 7 points in the past 2 games. He was one of the 3 stars of the Week. Bergeron was another star.
Nice to see those two getting those stars of the week honors at the same time. Everytime I watch Bergeron I'm reminded of one of my all-time favorite players, HOFer Ron Francis. An incredible combination of skill and an elite hockey IQ.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic