The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM

Default RT660 vs Rainsong Parlor

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it on the forum. We do a lot of camping (in a camping trailer) and I'd like a CF guitar for those trips, plus just casual playing around the house. I don't need the removable neck of the OF660. I haven't found that many videos of the RT, and I understand the sound is slightly different. On a recent trip to NYC, I played the Rainsong Parlor and liked it. There isn't an RT660 near me to try, so I'm turning to the good folks here at AGF. Has anyone played both? (Ted of LA Guitar Sales, I'm sure you can provide some input here.) Thanks...

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I haven’t played either, but reviews seem good. Are you stuck on the Journey, or are you interested in others? What size, what budget?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I haven't had the opportunity to play an RT660, but the RainSong Parlor is a nice guitar. The RT660 gets good reviews. A couple other considerations for you, with traveling and a compact size in mind: the Emerald X7 (my choice) and the CA Cargo. Both have a lot of fans here.

We have enjoyed several decades of RV travel, and always with a guitar along. Carbon fiber is a trouble-free way to go.

Enjoy the search!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 AM

No need to apologize, AC. Truthfully, there probably isn't a forum question that hasn't been asked repeatedly. No worries. There is another thread in the past few days "Weekly Air Travel" with a lot of details that you would find helpful. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=499674

Call Ted and chat with him. He is a straight shooter that will help guide you to what fits your needs. He doesn't handle Emerald (they do direct sales only) but has more experience with the CF's on the market than anyone else.

We own a Cargo (which replaced a GS Mini) and I've played a few Rainsong Parlors. I would like to try the OF660 and RT660 out of curiosity, but have not yet. But I'm already set for carbon fiber guitars and ukulele. Since I refuse to fly anymore, I have no need for the folding neck either.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:51 AM

I once owned a Cargo (pre-Peavey). I've played the new ones, but I think I want something a little different this time around. I'm not committed to either the Parlor or the RT660, but they are at my budget point. I have a big birthday coming up next month (let's just say I've been mailed my Medicare card), so I'm hinting to the wife that this would be the perfect birthday gift to myself.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by actaylor View Post
I once owned a Cargo (pre-Peavey). I've played the new ones, but I think I want something a little different this time around. I'm not committed to either the Parlor or the RT660, but they are at my budget point. I have a big birthday coming up next month (let's just say I've been mailed my Medicare card), so I'm hinting to the wife that this would be the perfect birthday gift to myself.
If the Journeys are at your budget point, then one of them is what you should get because it’s highly unlikely that you’ll find any other CF/composite guitar in that price range. Since you’ve already owned a Cargo and want something different, if you could increase your budget, the Emerald X7 should be a candidate. They don’t come up used often, it you might be able to score one at a good price.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actaylor View Post
..........I have a big birthday coming up next month (let's just say I've been mailed my Medicare card), so I'm hinting to the wife that this would be the perfect birthday gift to myself.
Go for it! When are you EVER going to be 55 again? Or 35? Get what you want, assuming you can afford it.

I learned this tidbit of philosophy a long time ago, and it has served me well when making these types of decisions. The number has obviously slid upward, but the thought still works.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I think the Emerald X7 and the RT660 are at very similar price points.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:39 AM

I didn't know it was platitude time. I like platitudes because there's a germ of truth in every one of them just like most really good humor.

Here's my platitude du jour - Knowledge comes from acquiring things, but wisdom comes from letting them go.

On that note I am temporarily down to one guitar (Lucky 13) as I am testing out living with no more than what I can carry on my back while letting the rest of it (hopefully) go. It's working ok for me so far, but I still haven't quite got the kids on board.

I will probably switch back over to the X20 sometime this summer, but in the meantime I am enjoying the heck out of my Lucky.

The reason this is relevant to the current thread is that the Lucky has a comfortable scale length for me where the Cargo is just too short which is what I think AC was hinting at. I think the only reasonable way you are going to get to test a Journey or X7 is by buying one. As long as you aren't putting yourself at risk with your finances or your wife, buy the two or three guitars that you most fancy and test them for a while then let the ones go that you can.

I thought I would do that with the X20 and Lucky 13, but I still have both (not much wisdom here yet) and am actually considering one or two more carbon fiber guitars to test in my quest to find that one perfect guitar for me. In the meantime I am working to become a better musician so when I do find that mythical perfect instrument I will be ready to actually play it.

So my bottom line is that if it strikes my fancy and I can swing, then I go for it within whatever arbitrary boundaries I have set for the day so I don't leave my consumerism illness completely unchecked. So go for it and enjoy the journey (and/or rainsong etc...).

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 02-12-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Guest 928

I have an RS Parlor and have found it very satisfying. One aspect that led me to purchase the Parlor is that as a production instrument it was readily available on the used market. the price was such that even if I didn't like the guitar I could probably re-sell for about the purchase price. I've owned several Cargos and played the X7--they are great for their size and for travel. the Parlor is more satisfying in its projection and tonal qualities. That's just my take on the matter and I'm such others might disagree.

Enjoy the decision making and anticipation.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:56 PM

I like 12-fret carbon fiber guitars and own several - including the Rainsong Parlor P12 and the Journey OF660. Both are great guitars.

For tone I prefer the clarity of the P12. For playing comfort I prefer the OF660 with its armrest bevel. Haven’t see a RT660 in the wild yet, but like the specs.

As long as we’re on a platitude ...

“There’s no end to what I do not know”
Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM

I be liking my CH-PA... great lil guy... I like my fold up critter as well.. I played the non come apart RT660 at NAMM and really liked it, especially the finish. Wish I could have had at it in a more quiet place.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 PM

I've owned both, at least briefly, and still have the CH-PA. No comparison for me. To my ear they are very far apart and the RainSong is a lot of guitar in a small package.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

If had to decide between the two guitars you listed I would hands down buy the RT660. Get the gloss version. I’m actually thinking of getting one. The chpa is “very” neck heavy. The body is not big enough to combat the weight of the neck and headstock. If you want a rainsong I would get the chom, an outstanding guitar. Almost a perfect carbon guitar. Imop. The rt660 is incredibly comfortable. It is not the loudest guitar but it definitely handles its own. For the price it is an insane deal. The gig bag it comes with is great as well. Good luck
Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM

Default RT660 is very nice

I picked up an RT660 from Ted a few months ago, and have been playing it a lot this winter. For me, at least, it is a keeper. The sound is nice, It is VERY comfortable to play and has more base than a small travel guitar has a right to. I'm not much of a player and brought it to a lesson today with my instructor, and he loved it as well. I haven't played the Rainsong parlor, although it was on my radar when I got the Road Trip. I have no second thoughts about the purchase and have been very happy with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber