The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Phoenix area carbon fest?

We will be traveling south to Arizona soon, and it looks like FEB 19 or 20th is the likely arrival date. The plan is to stay around for 7-10 days visiting family, but with plenty of extra-curricular time. The weekend of FEB 23-24-25 might be the best candidate. Or perhaps an evening during that week.

Knowing that there are a number of CF enthusiasts in the greater Phoenix area that are active here at AGF, it seems like a good excuse for a get together / jam / show-n-tell / "try this one" gathering. We will bring along all of our composite instruments (Emerald X20-12, Rainsong WS-1000, Blackbird Lucky 13, CA Cargo, and Blackbird Farallon ukulele).

This thread can be a point of coordination, but someone local might have to do the legwork as to Where? and When? We can be flexible as to time and date during that time window, but I don't know what other's schedules are. Talk among yourselves.....

My email address is [email protected] (preferred) and after first contact I will provide my cell phone number to all parties. I will now turn the PM function back on in my profile. I look forward to meeting my on-line CF friends soon!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, not enough room in our "made for 2" motorhome, but I'm in! I struggled with what to bring once again, and the X7 made the trip with us. I also have the RainSong SG-FLE (limited edition) Shorty that I will have up for sale.

Thanks for staying with this, Earl - looking forward to putting some faces with names, some playing, and a "show me yours, I'll show you mine" time.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM

The biggest issue is that the Phoenix Metro is huge and spread out.

I have the following:

Rainsong Shorty (with the discontinued RTF finish)
Emerald X7 Opus
Rainsong WS-3000N1

I am in the FAR southeast valley (Queen Creek), we have other members up in Scottsdale and I think Kramster is in the far West side.

I really would like the opportunity to try out an X20-12. I'd also love to get the wife the opportunity to play the Farilon.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

We will be staying in the Goodyear (west side) area - willing to drive to wherever this happens.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 AM

I should have added that we will be staying in Sun City (west side) near Glendale and Peoria. I realize that the greater Phoenix area is enormous and traffic is awful, but we are willing to travel as needed.

Knowing that some of the local AGF'ers are in Scottsdale and the east side, it all depends on what people want to do. I'm hoping that one of the locals has a good meeting place to suggest, or perhaps even something like a clubhouse to offer. Some folks have to work, but others are retired and are more flexible in scheduling.

Update: we heard back from a friend in Tucson (finally) and are now committed for all day Saturday FEB 24 down there, staying overnight and returning on Sunday mid-afternoon to Phoenix. But otherwise the schedule is still fully open, including evenings. As the Hawaiians say, "If can, can. If no can, no can".
Old 01-29-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

Update: we heard back from a friend in Tucson (finally) and are now committed for all day Saturday FEB 24 down there, staying overnight and returning on Sunday mid-afternoon to Phoenix. But otherwise the schedule is still fully open, including evenings. As the Hawaiians say, "If can, can. If no can, no can".
Ok, but if you are going to be in Tucson I feel it is only fair to warn you that Rainbow is now a stocking Rainsong dealer.

And since you now have no choice but to go to Rainbow, hop across the street and see if the folk shop still has that Blackbird CF Uke would ya?

Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM

I be in Central Phoenix ... can usually do any afternoon and weekends... sometimes Mon and Friday are free... not sure how many guitars I have... but
a few are different than mentioned above.

OX raw
Amicus
All 3 CHs
Cargo
one of those take apart Joiurney's
Old school X10 and X7
Might have a couple others being sent to photo video... Timing might be right and you kids can be in it... if you behave

Oh and a non CF Savoy if that's ok
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 01-29-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Some RV parks rent RVs and have center areas where people can gather. If your RV park has those two things it might be a good spot for the discussed carbon fest.
Evan, that is kinda what I am hoping for -- a clubhouse or other meeting place somewhere central to the largest number of folks. (Hint: he/she who hosts does not have to drive anywhere). Since we are not local, I don't have any great ideas and therefore "have to depend on the kindness of strangers". The weather is probably nice enough that we could even meet at a park somewhere for a picnic.

All I know right now is that we will be arriving on Monday afternoon FEB 19, or possibly on FEB 20, and will be departing the following Monday or Tuesday morning, FEB 27. Plus we will be in Tuscon all day Saturday and coming back north Sunday morning.

AZ: I have been to Rainbow Music -- it was the first Taylor Road Show that I attended several years ago. I am pretty safe in a retail environment these days. If they have Rainsong C-H models in stock, that would be an interesting data point, but I really don't expect to buy any more guitars in this lifetime, CF or otherwise -- I'm really all set. The whole point of going south to Tucson is to visit an old friend, not to go guitar shopping -- unless she wants to. I doubt that, as she currently has (and loves) my old Rainsong PMJ-1000. If she falls in love with a C-H model, I would buy back the PMJ in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Earl49; 01-30-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: dang tpyos.... it's hard to proffread your own writing
Old 01-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm an hour and a half North of Phoenix, I'd sure like to meet you fellas and join in, but have to admit that I'm afraid I'm not to the same playing level as others. So we'll see.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Guest 928

jdinco;

Not to worry. There have been two past carbon fests, one at Mystic Springs Utah and one at Park City Utah. People came from as far away as Spain. We did a lot of jams and everyone pretty much got to do what they do. Some people just brought their guitars and enjoyed the chance to see the variety of instruments. Others came to play. Sometimes the music would start by 6 or 7 AM and would go to whisky late. Sweet stuff.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Evan, That sounds like a lot of fun ! I do know 3 chords and am working on that 4th. LOL I'm joking. I'll plan on being there.
I have:
X20
X7
Cargo
WS1000N2

Not much different that what others have. I would think that any ekoa would be the star of the get together if any show up.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:

If they have Rainsong C-H models in stock, that would be an interesting data point, but I really don't expect to buy any more guitars in this lifetime, CF or otherwise -- I'm really all set. .
When I was down in November Rainbow had a CH-PA and a CH-WS at a minimum.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:43 AM

I'm bumping this thread to the top of the list again.

We can in theory reserve an activity room at M-I-L's senior complex in Sun City (west side) but it's a gated community. Everyone would have to know which meeting room to ask for at the security gate (which I would provide) and parking can be limited. We call mom every Sunday evening and can ask her what room availability might be. It won't be a private room, as the facility likes to let any resident drop in on any activity, but I don't see that as much of an obstacle. The hours might be limited.

Unless someone local to Phoenix comes up with a better idea....... Right now I would shoot for either Friday afternoon FEB 23 or Sunday afternoon FEB 25, but we are open to suggestion. I mostly just want to get together with some fellow carbonista's and have a show & tell.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm bumping this thread to the top of the list again.

We can in theory reserve an activity room at M-I-L's senior complex in Sun City (west side) but it's a gated community. Everyone would have to know which meeting room to ask for at the security gate (which I would provide) and parking can be limited. We call mom every Sunday evening and can ask her what room availability might be. It won't be a private room, as the facility likes to let any resident drop in on any activity, but I don't see that as much of an obstacle. The hours might be limited.

Unless someone local to Phoenix comes up with a better idea....... Right now I would shoot for either Friday afternoon FEB 23 or Sunday afternoon FEB 25, but we are open to suggestion. I mostly just want to get together with some fellow carbonista's and have a show & tell.
Hi Earl. I will check on Monday to see if there might be an activity room available in the RV park we are in, for either of those dates. I mentioned this on another thread - this park has not been particularly easy to work with; but, I check on it for another option. It is, however, on the west side of Goodyear (west of Phoenix, southwest from Sun City).

I have no issue with traveling anywhere in the area for a get-together. We might even find some other players in Sun City.

--------------

Completely off-topic, but about "the active adult lifestyle." We first came to this area in 1991 with a brand new motorhome. I was in my late-30s. I saw an ad for an RV park that said "Arizona's Finest Adult RV Resort."

I said, "That's what we're looking for!"

The guard at the gate turned us away. We weren't "old enough." I had never heard of the whole 55+ concept. Seemed discriminatory to me. Three more parks turned us away that day, and then one took pity on us (it was getting dark). I assured the manager that "we wouldn't play loud rock 'n roll music and dance naked on top of the coach." I think he appreciated my sense of humor.

We found out that there are a whole bunch of these kind of parks in the Sunbelt. These days, I am no longer offended by "the geezer parks" and appreciate that there are no screaming kids or loud parties. Of course I am looking at the age of admission way back in the rear view mirror.

Before I ever saw it, I thought Sun City was a village of old people, with over-tanned, leathery skin, who sat around talking about "the good ol' days." Yeah, I was WAY wrong. There are a bunch of different Sun City and similar 55+ developments around here. Makes sense to me. You can be as active as you want (most of them have nice golf courses, tennis courts, etc, etc, etc).

Even Jimmy Buffett is into it...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danafel.../#28971e243906

Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 PM

Yeah, the "over 55 only" thing was a surprise my first time there, after the in-laws retired to AZ in the early 90's. It seemed like something discriminatory that would never stand up to legal scrutiny. But that limitation no longer applies in my case. I will neither confirm nor deny about the bride -- I'm kinda fond of sleeping indoors, plus she has borrowed my .45 and out-shot my score on match night before. But these days I understand far better why older folks might not want to be around those rowdy 30-somethings. You kids get off my lawn!! [shaking cane emoji]

I really hope that something comes of this, large of small, but I understand that people have busy lives. Any time between FEB 20-27 (except Saturday the 24th) can work for us. We are in vacation / semi-retired mode when in the area.

I read your post on another thread about your current campground. If can, can. If no can, no can......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber