The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Default (Sold pending payment) 1973 Martin D-18 S (Information from Bryan Kimsey added.)

For sale (no trades please) is a 1973 Martin D-18 S that has been overhauled by Bryan Kimsey. I bought this here several months ago from rcalcutta (great person to deal with). I am absolutely sick about letting it go but the wider nut (1 7/8") is not working out. The tone on this guitar is simply astounding. I will include the info from the original post:

"Bryan Kimsey did a complete overhaul on this guitar. It's had a neck reset, bone saddle installed, x braces have been scalloped, popsicle brace removed, the big rosewood bridge plate was replaced with a small maple one (like the pre-war Martins had) all to liven up the top and increase responsiveness. There is a K&K mini western pickup installed that attaches to the bridge plate. The tuning machines and pick guard are original as is the 1 7/8" nut. The pick guard was reattached because it was starting to lift. The bridge pins are new and are ebony. The bridge, fingerboard and possibly the head plate are Brazilian rosewood. There is a small crack between the bridge pins on the bridge but it doesn't affect the guitar and seems to be stable. There's also one crack on the top behind the bridge that was previously cleated and Bryan assured that it is stable. There is some wear around the sound hole above the pick guard. There's also various wear around the body and the finish on the top has some checking. The guitar wasn't abused but it's seen a lot of play. The setup is really nice. Super easy playability and no buzzes. The guitar comes with a period correct Martin hard case."

Rcalcutta's description was spot on. I wouldn't change a thing on her, including the bridge. The tone and playability is perfect.

I RECIEVED A MESSAGE FROM BRYAN KIMSEY THIS MORNING. HE SAID HE THINKS THE BRIDGE SHOULD BE REPLACED. HE HAS VERY GRACIOUSLY SAID HE WILL DO THE REPLACEMENT FOR FREE IF THE BUYER PAYS FOR THE SHIPPING. AT $1500 FOR THE GUITAR THIS IS A REMARKABLE DEAL! SINCE I AM COVERING THE PAYMENT FOR SHIPPING TO THE BUYER I CAN SHIP TO MR. KIMSEY AND THE BUYER WOULD SIMPLY PAY TO HAVE IT SHIPPED BACK AFTER THE BRIDGE IS REPLACED.

$1500 shipped within the continental US.
Pictures are at http://reverb.com/item/9098240-martin-d-18-s-1973

Last edited by Jskiles; 01-23-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: NEW INFORMATION
Old 01-17-2018, 10:26 AM

If you dont mind me asking if the bridge plate was replaced why not the bridge? That crack goes straight through the long grain and doesnt look good at all. Is there a dip in the guitar around the bridge?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Bridge

The overhaul by Bryan Kimsey was done by rcalcutta before I purchased it. I do not know why that decision was made. There is no dip or other issues that I can see. Rcalcutta's statement about it was "it doesn't affect the guitar and seems to be stable." I have only had the guitar for a couple of months. I personally wouldn't change it unless it became a problem because right now it plays and sounds amazing.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

This guitar is rock solid. The bridge is completely stable. Even though it has a crack it was better to leave the original bridge.

Awesome guitar at a fantastic price. If you can handle the 1 7/8 nut you will love this guitar. These older Martin 12 fretters are really cool. If I didn't spring for. Blazer & Henkes 12 fret D-18 I would have kept this one forever.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

These are killer guitars!!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalcutta View Post
This guitar is rock solid. The bridge is completely stable. Even though it has a crack it was better to leave the original bridge.

Awesome guitar at a fantastic price. If you can handle the 1 7/8 nut you will love this guitar. These older Martin 12 fretters are really cool. If I didn't spring for. Blazer & Henkes 12 fret D-18 I would have kept this one forever.
Thanks for the comment. I am still a little sick to my stomach about letting this one go. She is everything you said and more!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Thursday morning bump
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Friday bump... Price reduced to $1650.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-19-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Saturday bump
Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Sunday bump for a very special guitar
Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
These are killer guitars!!
I will second (or third) this sentiment. If you can handle a 1 7/8 nut, these are very cool. My first really good guitar was a D35S. Wish I still had it! Great price, IMHO.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
I will second (or third) this sentiment. If you can handle a 1 7/8 nut, these are very cool. My first really good guitar was a D35S. Wish I still had it! Great price, IMHO.
Thanks for the comment. The tone is simply amazing.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin D18 s

Jskiles and I had a deal worked out on this beauty but for personal reasons I had to back out last night. Jon is a really easy going seller and a very nice person.

To maybe help find a replacement buyer, if you are on the fence about this vintage Martin I will paypal anyone $25 who commits within the next 48 hours.

GLWS. Really wish I could have brought this tone monster home.

d
Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
Jskiles and I had a deal worked out on this beauty but for personal reasons I had to back out last night. Jon is a really easy going seller and a very nice person.

To maybe help find a replacement buyer, if you are on the fence about this vintage Martin I will paypal anyone $25 who commits within the next 48 hours.

GLWS. Really wish I could have brought this tone monster home.

d
Wow. What an incredibly nice way to start a Monday morning! Thank you so much for the kind words and even kinder offer. I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your birthday guitar!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM

Monday morning bump.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars