The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto
Since this feature replaces the fingerprint scanner, that means your face is its security measure when it comes to using Apple Pay
I seem to recall some hubbub 2-3 years ago regarding how the police may and may not "use you" in order to access your phone. I think the courts decided you could be compelled to provide your fingerprint to unlock your device, but you could NOT be compelled to tell them the security password/passcode.

I'm assuming they could compel you to provide your face to unlock it.

Not that I've anything to hide - but I don't like giving the police an easy method to circumvent my 4th and 5th amendment rights. (Or any other rights, for that matter).

Just food for thought...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Default No iPhone X thread yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes It does not matter.. But on Apples website they mention that it is curved or bent over at the edge (may be what he is referring to)
I agree the strength of Apple was under Jobs and still is, constantly trying to make the user interface simpler and more integrated, and that vision has not died or changed . And I think like Mark Twain, rumors of Apple's "demise" are greatly exaggerated

I agree. I think Jobs vision is alive and well. There’s a rumor that he left something like a ten year plan before he passed. Who knows.

Last edited by 1neeto; 11-22-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
The A11 chip is also made by Samsung too. Sorry.
...Possible , but appears not actually ... while Samsung may make an A11 chip and Samsung did sell chips to Apple in the past .. However unless something has actually changed, that you are aware of (entirely possible but I was unable to confirm from google ) since this article (July 2016), it appears that
TSCM is making the chip Apple uses

https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/18/iphone-8-a11-tsmc/

Pertinent excerpt

"While Apple’s orders for the A9 chip in the iPhone 6s/Plus were split between the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and Samsung, we heard back in February that TSMC was to be the sole supplier of the A10 chip in the iPhone 7. A new report from Korea claims that the same is true of the A11 chip destined for next year’s iPhone.

The report appears in the Chinese-language Economic Daily News, via Digitimes.

TSMC is already the exclusive manufacturer of Apple’s A10 chip which will power the upcoming iPhone series slated for launch in September 2016. The Taiwan-based foundry will continue to be the sole supplier of Apple’s next-generation A11 processor that will be built on a 10nm FinFET process, the report indicated, without citing its sources.

TSMC is believed to have a technological edge on its Korean rival, beating Samsung in the race to develop 10-nanometer processes …

Quote:
Can someone tell me if that facial emoji thing is a must have? I thought it was a FAIL when they demo'd it. I think I heard Steve screaming from his grave.
Not me I have no clue what your are talking about

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-21-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=KevWind;5543953]
Quote:
...Possible , but appears not actually ... while Samsung may make an A11 chip and Samsung did sell chips to Apple in the past .. However unless something has actually changed, that you are aware of (entirely possible but I was unable to confirm from google ) since this article (July 2016), it appears that

Pertinent excerpt

"While Apple’s orders for the A9 chip in the iPhone 6s/Plus were split between the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and Samsung, we heard back in February that TSMC was to be the sole supplier of the A10 chip in the iPhone 7. A new report from Korea claims that the same is true of the A11 chip destined for next year’s iPhone.

TSMC is already the exclusive manufacturer of Apple’s A10 chip which will power the upcoming iPhone series slated for launch in September 2016. The Taiwan-based foundry will continue to be the sole supplier of Apple’s next-generation A11 processor that will be built on a 10nm FinFET process, the report indicated, without citing its sources.

TSMC is believed to have a technological edge on its Korean rival, beating Samsung in the race to develop 10-nanometer processes …

Lol just google iPhone Animoji.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post

Lol just google iPhone Animoji.
Ah Ha I just did I have Iphone 6s so I guess I am out of the loop

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Ah Ha I just did I have Iphone 6s so I guess I am out of the loop

Yeah it’s only available in the X because it uses the face recognition. I tried with my dog but it didn’t work, only works with my mug. [emoji23]
Old 11-22-2017, 07:51 AM

I just looked at AAPL basics along with some others and don't think Apple's as gone or as in trouble or a lot of things that have been said. What absurd silliness - the stock price, earnings, dividend, and cash on hand. Yes, I do have a concern with it like a my Alphabet and Intel holdings where they depend on one product so much.

On the Samsung, they've been a great contract manufacturer for a long time and have gotten a lot better at other things.

On the chips... Controversy started with the 6S vintage if I recall.... The Lirum app and others shows your chip manufacturer. My own 6S plus was TSMC, some company owned phones were Samsung made and TSMC. I couldn't notice a real world difference.

It sure is crazy the way fan boy mentality gets to people. Sure I have preferences but I support a hand full of tech platforms and see all the top tier stuff or market leaders make pretty good stuff.

Some of the areas where the platform really does shine rarely gets discussed compared to dwelling on a few things or Steve Jobs stories. Software is important above all. In some cases apps for the Apple mobile platform make it a choice. The continuity and handoff features are tremendous. I do cut, copy and paste between mobile and desktop and find many aren't even aware or use that feature. The laptop quality, battery life post sale service and durability are tops. I have to use Windows and UNIX features all day long. My big and tiny laptops do that and with the iPhone and Apple Watch have added features - some mentioned.

Add AirPods and the combo is even better.

On the X, it's been said here that you have a small screen if the app isn't updated. I'm hoping for a plus version next Thanksgiving.

Also on the X. A whole lot of the users I support use a smaller array of apps and the X already does a great job. I have C suite users with chronic newtoysyndrome and chronic gottahaveit syndrome. Software fixes came really fast with the X vs some who bought some Nexus, Pixel and Samsung models right out of the gate.

BTW: You might find the Lirum app fun and useful even if you're not obsessed with who manufactured your chips. IIRC, you had to have the paid version for the best features.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Pertinent excerpt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A11
I stand corrected. TSMC beat out Sammie to build the A11 chips. But do reference an article that is more recent. Yours was from July 2016.

But it's a quite interesting relationship that Samsung has with Apple. To see the list of what Samsung makes for Apple, look at the article below.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkan.../#687f689b1fb0
Old 11-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A11
I stand corrected. TSMC beat out Sammie to build the A11 chips. But do reference an article that is more recent. Yours was from July 2016.

But it's a quite interesting relationship that Samsung has with Apple. To see the list of what Samsung makes for Apple, look at the article below.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkan.../#687f689b1fb0
Samsung is definitely an interesting company, another interesting thing is that with it being the big dog in cell phone OLED tech, that it stopped selling OLED tv BUT is rumored to be waist deep in QLED (Quantum LED tech) research for TV
I am currently still using a 6 year old Samsung Plasma TV here in Colorado and at our place in Wyoming we have a 10+ year old Samsung fridge. But all of our family computers and phones are Apple

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I just looked at AAPL basics along with some others and don't think Apple's as gone or as in trouble or a lot of things that have been said. What absurd silliness - the stock price, earnings, dividend, and cash on hand.
Please don't burden me with a position I never took. I never said the company was in trouble. In fact, back in the iPhone 8 thread I said that they'll probably sell a zillion more Xs than they originally intended. My position is that they are making design errors they never used to make. They're chasing impressive features at the expense of essential functionality. Sooner or later this will catch up with them, but it won't be today... or even tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Samsung is definitely an interesting company, another interesting thing is that with it being the big dog in cell phone OLED tech, that it stopped selling OLED tv BUT is rumored to be waist deep in QLED (Quantum LED tech) research for TV
I am currently still using a 6 year old Samsung Plasma TV here in Colorado and at our place in Wyoming we have a 10+ year old Samsung fridge. But all of our family computers and phones are Apple
You're not a true Sammie until you get the Galaxy suit!
http://www.ssfshop.com/GALAXY/GM0017082582989/good?dspCtgryNo=SFMA32&brandShopNo=BDMA04A01&brndS hopId=HMBGA&keyword=&leftBrandNM=&utag=ref_cat:SFM A32$ref_brn:BDMA04A01$ref_br:HMBGA$set:2$dpos:49

QLED? They're really expensive right now. But I heard there's really not much difference and they just added the Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Please don't burden me with a position I never took. I never said the company was in trouble. In fact, back in the iPhone 8 thread I said that they'll probably sell a zillion more Xs than they originally intended. My position is that they are making design errors they never used to make. They're chasing impressive features at the expense of essential functionality. Sooner or later this will catch up with them, but it won't be today... or even tomorrow.
To deal with the iPhone X's design flaw, some people are using wallpapers so that the area right of and left of the notch are black. That's quite absurd.
I don't think anyone said Apple is in trouble but you keep this kind of thing up and it will catch up pretty soon, especially in the tech industry where a 6 month old phone is considered OLD.
I am scared of the companies like OnePlusOne (even though the math is wrong). They're not there yet but they're making good phones in China...then again the iPhones are made in China too.

Last edited by Rudals; 11-22-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're not a true Sammie until you get the Galaxy suit!
http://www.ssfshop.com/GALAXY/GM0017082582989/good?dspCtgryNo=SFMA32&brandShopNo=BDMA04A01&brndS hopId=HMBGA&keyword=&leftBrandNM=&utag=ref_cat:SFM A32$ref_brn:BDMA04A01$ref_br:HMBGA$set:2$dpos:49

QLED? They're really expensive right now. But I heard there's really not much difference and they just added the Q.

Being a "Sammie" is not currently on my bucket list, so I'll pass on the suit

Here is article from just 2 dys ago about Samsung's QLED
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6c47bb30727f

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-22-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
It really seems quite the opposite. Maybe I'm skewed or warped by experience. My start with the stuff was early 1980s, and for a time my jobs were what was known as an evangelist or doing integration in business. It included beta testing Newtons and early digital cameras. None of it could ever be integrated in business or so many ways as is the case now.

In the context of our many employees and BYOD it looks like people have never been happier or done more with Apple's stuff.

They're a top tier firm whether products, services or design. They have to keep at pursuing new designs and making polished versions of it.

Back to glass front and back??? I supposed it makes it easier for antennas but beauty knows no pain isn't me. I doubt that will stop me if they make a full screen phone about the size of my 7 Plus.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Being a "Sammie" is not currently on my bucket list, so I'll pass on the suit

Here is article from just 2 dys ago about Samsung's QLED

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6c47bb30727f
That’s more of a Samsung QLED commercial. Good info though, the resistance to burn-in can be a big sell for gamers that’s for sure. There’s some drawbacks for sure, like the fact how QLED is edge-lit instead of FALD, you simply can’t beat FALD when it comes to black detail. But maybe Samsung has found a way to work around that? I have yet to see a QLED out of demo mode so can’t really tell, I can tell the incredible black detail on LG OLEDs though.

Quote:

I think it’s because LG is the leader of OLED panels, and the best way to compete against them is to offer a different “better” panel.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:07 PM

I remember when I got my 60" (?) Samsung LED TV. When I was trying to put it on a nice wooden tv console, I held it on the long end and started hearing cracks. Luckily no damage was done but that was a scary moment with the thin TV.

As for the QLED, my eyes must be numb but I wasn't too impressed when I saw it this past weekend at Best Buy. I was blown away when I saw a LED tv for the first time but maybe I am just getting too old.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic