The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
You're probably confusing one's own configuration with how dysfunctional iTunes is and not aware how different Microsoft's been for a good while now.
I taught computers and applications for many years and headed the IT oversight committee at a 1000 person organization. I remember science and office work before computers. I remember when the Apple II came out with an 80-column card and Decmates started to have 5MB hard discs. I remember when the difficulty of all problems was compared to the difficulty of initializing a printer. I used to speak a couple of programming languages (until it no longer became necessary to program your own computer), and I have used every type of business software since Visicalc, Word Perfect and AppleWorks. I am single-handedly responsible for forcing my organization to accept Macintoshes and championed the development of a national-level public health database. Except for the erosion that has occurred in my brain since I retired, I'm fairly computer savvy. In spite of all that, I wish I had access to a 15-year-old who could help me keep up.

Last edited by AX17609; 11-08-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Any comments on how good the front/back whatever microphone is on the X? I use the mic a lot for practice and would dearly like to see a better microphone..
Old 11-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
Being a non-Apple product user, I thought the iPhone X was just a codename for the iPhone 8 before the 8 was finally released. I didn't think 2 phones would be released so quickly.
How do you milk sheep?

Release a new iPhone and charge $1000 for it.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Any comments on how good the front/back whatever microphone is on the X? I use the mic a lot for practice and would dearly like to see a better microphone..

I have yet to record a video with this phone so can’t say. Maybe I’ll record a clip of me making noise with my guitar this weekend. Stay tuned! [emoji38]
Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 PM

I'll probably get one. I like taking pictures with my phone. Here's a comparison between an iPhone X and a Panasonic GH5 (camera known for pretty good 4k video:

Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I'll probably get one. I like taking pictures with my phone. Here's a comparison between an iPhone X and a Panasonic GH5 (camera known for pretty good 4k video:

Wow that’s pretty good. Cellphones usually fail in low light situations so no surprise there.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-10-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

I worked for DuPont Displays assisting research of OLED material and screens. The blue pixel was the hardest to fab.
I am going with Sansum. I just heard that Cook lied about 250 Billion in stashed profit on some Island off or Ireland.
$1,000 is too much for a phone, but I do like the 27" iMac.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 AM

I was in the Apple Store yesterday on another matter and noted that essentially no one was looking at the X. A few people casually walked up and quickly glanced at it, but that was it. On the other hand, the back of the store was crowded with people waiting for technical support. This is not good.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I was in the Apple Store yesterday on another matter and noted that essentially no one was looking at the X. A few people casually walked up and quickly glanced at it, but that was it. On the other hand, the back of the store was crowded with people waiting for technical support. This is not good.
You can't take one slice of time like that in one store and extrapolate anything wide-spread from it. I've owned 7 Macs since 2005 and 4 iPhones since 2010, and never had to step in an Apple Store once for tech support. And lots of tech support issues are user-error.

Btw, iPhone X sales are just fine:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/03/in-p...the-world.html

http://bgr.com/2017/11/07/iphone-x-s...demand-strong/
Old 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post

Basic phone - makes phone calls - probably as well as an iphone does. £50
(also takes photos and lots of other things)

This takes photos much better than any iphone does. £299

This surfs Internet uses apps etc just like the iphone does. £339

This flies much better than any iphone does (and it shoots video as well) £350

Grand total £1038
iphone X in UK £1139

All above and still £100 cheaper than a phone they will try to convince you is out of date in 12 months time.

How much will an iPhone XI be?

All that said, any product is worth what it's worth to the user. If you want everything in one small package and this fits the bill then go for it. There are people out there (so I've been told) who think paying £3000 +++ for a guitar is ridiculous - but what do they know?
Or $40 for a guitar pick, less than 1" square.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
You can't take one slice of time like that in one store and extrapolate anything wide-spread from it. I've owned 7 Macs since 2005 and 4 iPhones since 2010, and never had to step in an Apple Store once for tech support. And lots of tech support issues are user-error.

Btw, iPhone X sales are just fine:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/03/in-p...the-world.html

http://bgr.com/2017/11/07/iphone-x-s...demand-strong/

I was gonna say the same thing. I was at the Apple store yesterday and it was packed with people checking out everything. There was also a table full of people taking a class on iPhone features.

I was there because my Smart Keyboard for my iPad Pro stopped working though. [emoji23]
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
How do you milk sheep?

Release a new iPhone and charge $1000 for it.
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I'll wait for the next quarterly report for the real data but have observed and heard what my business team rep says and I'm at going by (work around 100 yards away) an Apple Store a lot.

People take a look at them and the staff I know says they sell faster than availability. There are daily lines of people hoping the freight gods answer their prayers.

I was fooling with one again last night while waiting for a pick up order. It's a really neat device but some all important apps for me are not yet full screen. That makes it a pretty small phone in terms of use. I don't find the home button gone to be an issue. It seems like any sort of quick flick up takes you home.

I'll bet store location can make a difference in what you observe. In my area it's moved from a big popular mall to an upscale shopping area and has it's own courtyard. The whole environment has changed as far as who's in the store and whether they're just wasting time or likely there for services and sales.

With luck I'll have a Plus or equivalent option when my 7 Plus gets toward or is 2 years old.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 AM

OK, I hope I'm wrong about everything else, so I'll just offer one last observation about the X. It's heavy. When I first picked it up, I was surprised by it's heft, so I looked up the numbers. It's 33% heavier than the Samsung Galaxy, it's nearest competitor and 25% heavier than the iPhone 7. I'm sure they'll sell a zillion of them, but the weight is a fundamental design mistake.

In my view, Apple is making human factors errors they never used to make before. They're chasing snazzy features and forgetting to make products that intuitively work without a manual and without a team of support staff. The iOS11 release was a disaster that resulted in 4 updates within a month of release. High Sierra is causing massive inter-platform compatibility issues. I've got iCloud documents that can be opened from one platform and not another. Menu options are becoming a tangled mess and are biased toward loading up your cloud storage as quickly as possible.

Furthermore, their sales staff members don't know their products. I ask simple questions that generate puzzled looks. If you get the trainers outside of their pre-prepared demos, they're lost. I sat next to a guy at an open Studio Session who was trying to manage his photo library, and four successive people couldn't figure out his problem. My particular iTunes problem required a work-around, because the system just wouldn't do what it was supposed to do.

I really want to buy a new computer, and I really want to continue my 35 year relationship with this company. But, I've lost faith. Something fundamental is going on, and I just don't trust them anymore. So, I'm going to wait and watch what happens over the next few months.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
OK, I hope I'm wrong about everything else, so I'll just offer one last observation about the X. It's heavy. When I first picked it up, I was surprised by it's heft, so I looked up the numbers. It's 33% heavier than the Samsung Galaxy, it's nearest competitor and 25% heavier than the iPhone 7. I'm sure they'll sell a zillion of them, but the weight is a fundamental design mistake.

In my view, Apple is making human factors errors they never used to make before. They're chasing snazzy features and forgetting to make products that intuitively work without a manual and without a team of support staff. The iOS11 release was a disaster that resulted in 4 updates within a month of release. High Sierra is causing massive inter-platform compatibility issues. I've got iCloud documents that can be opened from one platform and not another. Menu options are becoming a tangled mess and are biased toward loading up your cloud storage as quickly as possible.

Furthermore, their sales staff members don't know their products. I ask simple questions that generate puzzled looks. If you get the trainers outside of their pre-prepared demos, they're lost. I sat next to a guy at an open Studio Session who was trying to manage his photo library, and four successive people couldn't figure out his problem. My particular iTunes problem required a work-around, because the system just wouldn't do what it was supposed to do.

I really want to buy a new computer, and I really want to continue my 35 year relationship with this company. But, I've lost faith. Something fundamental is going on, and I just don't trust them anymore. So, I'm going to wait and watch what happens over the next few months.
It recall reports about a lot of battery stuffed in their, I'll guess sure two pieces of glass are heavier, and stainless steel might be heavier than the 7000 series AL recent phones have used.

One thing I noticed is I like the feel of the matte finish AL models I've had recently. Another is the weight I've added with 6S Plus and now 7 Plus became unnoticeable fast. Surely easier to carry than several phones in the past. I do epic bicycle rides and generally travel light the weight doesn't bother me.

Your poor service must reflect your own experience or many a specific location. Mostly work and at times family have me in two Apple Stores a lot. On occasion the stores in Chicago or Twin Cities. I deal with hundreds of employees who go to the same two stores I'm in. On the whole I wash I could have the same competence with other retailers and support organizations.

We did have an experience where my wife's Apple Watch had problems from the beginning and not caught in diagnostics. After 4 "Genius" sessions and sending it in twice she still had a flaky watch. When a manager caught that and our supporting data it wasn't just resolved fast via a new watch. The store tech staff were called on not respecting the screen shots and data we showed them. The sort of consumer mess we all get on occasion was not just addressed but done in a way that was the "genius" staff in that store being told you don't disrespect what we showed them, and you don't keep sending an unreliable item back.

Did we have a truly bad experience? Yeah. Was it handled WAY better than most of those sorts of events? Darn right.

For work we use iPads by the dozens at each location. That's delivery, kitchen, training and retail payment. That's 24x7 and a rough life. Wow I wish other stuff I buy was that good whether product life or how our repair appointments are generally spot on.

I just can't buy their having incompetence when at same time I have to deal with Android tablets, other mobile wireless, and approx 750 employees who do BYOD. If there's incompetence it's nothing like other vendors I have.

Back to the X. It's really great now. It's really great if the apps you depend on are updated for the full screen. It's fine if your apps are not updated but that can be a problem for professional users and apps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic