The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Talking BIWA !

No, it's NOT a Martin. It's NOT a Taylor. I don't know who the heck makes it but this is a new one on me !

It's called a Biwa, a Japanese short-necked lute played with a large wedge-shaped plectrum called a BACHI. (I had to get this from Wikipedia).

So try this pick with your acoustic guitar !!!

I stumbled across a little-known station called NHK World, a Japanese network that broadcasts in English. This Biwa was featured with a classical trio playing, of all things, "Let It Be" !!! Let me tell you, it was funky !

After all these years I'm stilling learning new things !

Anyone else see one of these?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:44 PM

Still learning things at old age. So true for many of us. I lived in Japan for five years with some time in Korea. In Philippines for 9 years and for the last 14 years here in Thailand and I too have never seen one. I will check that instrument out soon when I go to Bangkok again. Seems they have everything there, just have to find it. I am sure we have heard it before at least I have listening to various Asian music. Probably thought it was a guitar of sorts.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments