The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Mighty to Save

First video recording in my life.....Just bought this puppy Sony AX 53 Video Camcorder Saturday & did a straight recording with my Harbinger PA.....I like the video quality and I'm sure I can do much better, but the sound definitely needs some work......

I sequenced on my Korg PA 4x & played live acoustic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS375fO6PVE&t=7s

In the video on my left you can see I have a TASCAM DP24 & an AUDIO TECHNICA condenser mic 4040....Can I & should I be using these?

Can I come out from my TASCAM straight into the video recorder, put my headphones on and get better quality?

Haven't tried it yet, cause don't know if it would blow or overload Video Camcorder....there is an small mic input (1/8 or .35mm?)on side of camera where I think I can go in....

In addition to the one on top which would be a camcorder mic....

Thoughts anyone?......I am venturing into unchartered water

Thoughts for improvement on any & all aspects from performance to quality of the gear & how to maximize it.......

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Guest 33123

Nicely done!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi Steve,

Good job, most especially for your first video recording. It's all kind of daunting when you are starting!

I like to record my guitar and voice separately from the video in a better recording medium. I use Cubase in my computer, and that requires a computer interface.

You can certainly use your Tascam DP24 to record to. And the stuff from your synth-keyboard could be recorded all at the same time. Then you can add reverb or compression or equalization later when you mix your sound down to a stereo mixdown.

So how do you synch up your video camera and your audio recording? Many people perform a sharp clap that is recorded on both your audio recording and on your video recorder. Then you mix your audio track and your video + audio to a video editing program in your computer. Later in the video editing program I usually eventually delete the audio from the video camera once I have verified that the sound from the video recorder and the audio recorder have no chorusing going on. That way I know things are synched properly.

For a video editor program you can use Microsoft Movie Maker but if you ever use two cameras, that program can't handle more than one video program. I used Movie Maker for a while, and then bought Adobe Premier Elements https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-6527385...re+elements+15 which costs only $70. Premier can handle more than one video track and will allow you to fade from one to another.

When I do my audio mixdown, I edit the recording so that the audio starts exactly at the beginning of the sharp clap. I load my video recordings into Premier Elements, I find the very beginning of the clap on each video audio track. (I use 2 video recorders often.) Then all videos are lined up at the start of the clap and then the audio is loaded. That way everything is lined up to the nearest video frame at the start of the clap. Then when you are putting the video together you edit out all of the starting stuff, including the obnoxious clap. You also edit the ending. Be sure to keep everything in line, synched up as you do any editing.

I am no expert, just a hack. You can check out my videos here on Show & Tell or go to my YouTube channel and see what I am doing. You might decide that you want to get video advice somewhere else, of course!

But you already have a good microphone -- you might need another one or two for the guitar -- and you already have a very good multi-track recorder, so you can bring you video recordings up to a whole new level.

PM me if you would like more advice.

Best of luck!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell