The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Mic for sunrise?

Hi guys,

After a long hiatus from this great forum I'm back. I haven't been playing out in a long time and I wasn't totally satisfied with my rig. I've a Dazzo and Sunrise. I haven't been able to seat that Dazzo right such that it sounds as good as other people's Dazzo rigs. Its a great pickup but living in Ireland I've been reluctant to keep asking Teddy for exchanges. He's so helpful and I do like the pickup but honestly I can't keep asking the man for exchanges.

So I'd like to either add an internal mic or replace the Dazzo. As the title says what are the latest offerings in mics for acoustic guitars? I like the sunrise and want to keep that in the mix. I'm not looking for accuracy per se nor my guitar but louder but I want the body sounds and a bit of air to help with the top end.

Thanks very much and glad to see the same familiar faces floating about.

All the best,
JP

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM

A popular option is the K&K Trinity wired to a separate jack. Several players use this in conjunction with a mag like the Sunrise or Black Angel and EQ them separately to great effect.

http://www.kksound.com/products/trinity.php
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-19-2018, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Most mics that are marketed for guitar are bundled with other pickups, like the K&K Silver Bullet, the Highlander, B-band has one. Fishman has some, and so on. You may be able to buy these individually, I just haven't looked recently.

But there are lots of mics you can use. The DPA 4060 or 4061 are popular. I've used them with lots of combinations. Lately, I've been using the Audix L5O, and liking it. But basically any of the little electret mics, usually used as vocal mics for theater and so on, will work. AKG makes one that is popular and marketed as an instrument mic. These mics tend to be higher quality (and pricier) than the "guitar" mics that are included in most pickup systems.

You will need a way to power the mic, whatever you get. The usual approach is to wire the mic to the ring of a TRS jack, and use a preamp that supplies 9 volts to the ring. The number of preamps that will do this is fairly small, but they're out there.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Checkout miniflex 2mic model 4 (http://www.miniflexmic.com/products/model_4.htm)

I use it in my guitar and I love it. The mics are mechanically out of phase with each other for better feedback rejection but the 2 mic configuration allows for mic placement at the bridgeplate and elsewhere within the body. I use a dtar solstice preamp which supplies 15v on either channel which is perfect for the miniflex.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Ill look into them and come to a decision. Cheers

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification