The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Redeye Preamp versus Brighteye Cleanboost Pre

I am having a K&K PWM installed in a Martin Outlaw (Hog/Adi) dread and I everything I've read indicates the RedEye Preamp is pure magic with the K&K.

I don't however plan to use XLR out as I typically run 1/4" to a Bose L1 Compact and use my XLR input for my vocal mic.

So was considering trying the Brighteye preamp/clean boost since it runs on pedal power and acts as a buffer and clean boost.

I tried a Redeye at one point and loved it, but didn't really need it with the Baggs Anthem PU I was using at the time. So I sent it back. But it had sweet presence that's hard to describe. So I kind of want to try one again, but maybe the Bright eye is all I need?

Has anyone tried both the Red Eye and Bright eye? Will the Bright eye give me that sweet presence that the Red eye offers?

Regardless, has anyone used the Bright Eye for their acoustic guitar?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Well either has the proper input impedance so the most important issue is addressed, so it comes down to features. You can use the FX output of a Redeye out to you signal chain. I do this all the time at open mics where I just don't want to bother host with an XLR output. RedEye can run on phantom power as well as 9v battery. 10 db boost switch and a treble control, plus the FX loop for a tuner, etc., so its a features vs price issue.

Call FireEye and you'll get the owner/designer. Dee eye very basic , Brite Eye gives you some gain, RedEye gives you more features.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Well either has the proper input impedance so the most important issue is addressed, so it comes down to features. You can use the FX output of a Redeye out to you signal chain. I do this all the time at open mics where I just don't want to bother host with an XLR output. RedEye can run on phantom power as well as 9v battery. 10 db boost switch and a treble control, plus the FX loop for a tuner, etc., so its a features vs price issue.

Call FireEye and you'll get the owner/designer. Dee eye very basic , Brite Eye gives you some gain, RedEye gives you more features.
Great insight thank you. I actually did reach out to Darren at Fire-eye and I got the nicest, classiest reply. Very detailed and thorough. In many ways, for my needs he thinks the Bright Eye might be a good way to go. But to your point, the effects loop is highly versatile and I can always go 1/4” Out from the Effects Send if I need to.

I’m not sure if I read that others think the XLR DI out sounds notable different than the 1/4” Effects out or not. I am very curious because I remember thinking the RedEye had an inherent sweet presence that I dont often hear from other preamps. Hmmm. I might have to try both and return the one that doesn’t work. ?? How else will I know for “Me?”
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-17-2018, 07:21 AM

I have a Bose Compact and a RedEye, but I don't bother with the RedEye much because the guitars sound good straight in without it.

My main guitars use magnetic pups, an arch top with Gibson Johnny Smith, and an LR Baggs M1passive for the flattops. Piezo pickups also sound good on their own too, so the impedance matching thing is already taken care of.

I also have a T1, for extra inputs and effects, for duo and trio work etc., but often run without it.

The RedEye does work well plugged into in the mic input of the Bose, which can give me another line input if needed.

I'd recommend getting a T1 instead, though the RedEye is a great piece of gear.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
I have a Bose Compact and a RedEye, but I don't bother with the RedEye much because the guitars sound good straight in without it.

My main guitars use magnetic pups, an arch top with Gibson Johnny Smith, and an LR Baggs M1passive for the flattops. Piezo pickups also sound good on their own too, so the impedance matching thing is already taken care of.

I also have a T1, for extra inputs and effects, for duo and trio work etc., but often run without it.

The RedEye does work well plugged into in the mic input of the Bose, which can give me another line input if needed.

I'd recommend getting a T1 instead, though the RedEye is a great piece of gear.
I do a bunch of solo gigs and just don't need to deal with an external mixer, and finding a place for a T1 and another power connector. Sounds trivial, but my solo rig is guitar to pedal board to Bose. I like the simplicity. (and vocal mic to TC Harmony singer to Bose XLR Mic channel.

When I gig with my Duo, my partner brings a mixer. So I only need to address my Solo gig needs.

I will test the K&K tonight with my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp. It has tons of EQ for tone shaping, so its probably all I need. But I recall the RedEye having an inherent sweet presence that I've only heard from a few preamps. ....and I never tried the RedEye with a K&K. I only tried it with Baggs Anthem or Taylor ES2. Both of which have their own internal active preamps.

So the acid test will be using the passive K&K with my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ Preamp. Then I'll decide about trying a Red-eye Or Bright-eye.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-17-2018, 02:59 PM

The nice thing about the RedEye is it’s treble control. Let’s you get the bite just right. The RedEye does impart a very clean quality to any instrument I’ve tried so far. Any little adjustments need are easily done on the mixer. The loop is great for integrating pedals and tunes without degradation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification