The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

This is really something to be proud of - big congrats to both of you!!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 PM

Default 1st String!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM

Oooh, walrus, methinks you are in for a serious, life-altering treat!

Bruce, I only have one word in summary... stunning! And, I must say, as gorgeous as the body is, that neck and slotted head are definitely destined for the hall of fame. Wowzer!
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Is this in your hands yet? Very classy, it will sound like no other guitar, I LOVE my Sexauer, I enjoy all my others but my Sexauer feels like it is a part of me when I play it..... Let us know a tone report, congrats!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:01 AM

Default It's home!

Three months to the day of the start of the build, I picked up the JB at Bruce's shop. Here's the man giving it a final twirl with a self-penned tune:

Van Deusen Blue/Pewter Calton Case:

First impressions, it's a guitar with a deep, reverberant bass that's similar to a dreadnought, but with clarity and focus. The bass reminded me of the tap tone of the Old German top at the very beginning. Some of the things that amazes me are the thick trebles that has this shimmer I've never heard before, the long sustain, and the power! It's loud, dynamic, very open and resonant; my 2yr old Jatoba/German Sexauer sounds closed in and tight in comparison. It has that tonal balance Sexauers are known for. Aesthetically, I love the contrast between the pernambuco bindings and green purflings against the dark Brazilian; the color of the pernambuco bindings matches the sunburst top well too.

After the guitar settles in, I'll return to the shop to get Snakewood strap buttons installed and to have some adjustments made to the action. Unfortunately (aarrggh!) I've already dinged some of the edges of the headstock so we'll see (sweat) how easy they are to fix. All in all, this is the guitar I had in my head in terms of tone and aesthetics; I'm very lucky to have this guitar be Bruce's sole focus for the past 3 months so many thanks and kudos for his hard work to hit the target!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 AM

That is awesome. Sounds amazing.

I wish I could get about 10 of these luthiers here on AGF do a Guitar Build Off for me all at the same time.....don't you know know if these guys were all doing a head to head build and there was going to be a big unveiling at the Heraldsburg show 6 months down the road and a competition, what kind of amazing guitars you would get from all of these guys???

Maybe if I hit the lottery I will do that!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 PM

What a knock out That brazilian is amazing

Congrats on a fine guitar!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:31 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

That thing looks so pretty it makes my back teeth hurt! Nice job Bruce! From the sound of things it appears this one has a great voice as well - congratulations. Sexauer and Braz ... nice combination!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop