The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Default irig acoustic mic clip placement?

Hey guys,

I was thinking of trying one of these out. They're easy to find for around $80 new these days. I have read the threads here and checked out a lot of reviews and clips, so I'm familiar with the most common pros and cons that many mention. I would definitely be buying it for live use... just as a solo act and using in ear monitors, so no monitor right in front of me.

Has anyone experimented with placing the mic clip anywhere other than 6 o'clock on the soundhole? If so, what kind of tonal results did it yield?

Could you for instance, reverse it and attach it on the reverse (upper) side at 12 o'clock with no adverse effects... or maybe move it slightly over to the 4 or 6 o'clock position in either direction?

Anyone who owns one of these, please do chime in.

I read the IK multimedia manual, but it doesn't specifically reference much about mic placement or if it's ok to clip it anywhere other than the 6 o'clock position I see in the online clips...

Thanks!

Last edited by chris6120; 09-25-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 PM

Is 6 O'clock up or down as I'm holding my guitar? I've only done it down and it sounded good enough. When performing live, I also used a mic and the two together worked pretty well. I will be gigging next week with the same setup. At home practice, I don't use amplification, so that means the irig doesn't get much use. It's nice to have since not all my guitars have built-in pickups.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM

Thanks gfsark,

I wasn't sure anyone that owns or uses an irig acoustic stage was going to comment.

By 6 oclock, I mean the very bottom and middle of the soundhole edge when you are standing or seated and wearing your guitar in playing position. This is the exact same placement position that is shown in pretty much every video clip I've seen, including the ones produced by IK multimedia themselves.

So if the soundhole (when you are holding and playing your guitar) was a clock face, the bottom or "six" position on the clock.

I obviously know that position and placement of a mic can make a big difference, but I was mostly wondering if other folks who use the irig stage have gotten useable (or maybe even better) results by moving the mic around in different locations on the soundhole edge (as opposed to just the 6 oclock position). Even though it looks fairly low profile and unobtrusive, I don't entirely trust that it might not get in the way or get inadvertently bumped by my right hand if it is "dead on" in the 6 oclock location on the sound hole.

Last edited by chris6120; 09-25-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:59 PM

Well you got me curious. I've got a chance to play around with this on Thursday, so I'll give it a try and report back. I use it on my classical guitar. My steel string has a K&K mini, which is superior to the irig imho so won't use it for that guitar. I also have a cheap Yamaha 7/8 steel string with horrible on-board pickup, so I'll see if the irig is better than the built-in pickup, which I think it almost has to be. I'll report back. Be an interesting test. My general impression is that irig a pretty neat piece of equipment for the price. I know others on this site use it.

Last edited by gfsark; 09-25-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Add on

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification