The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Recommend a DVD for learning classical?

Any suggestions? I would like really explore classical technique.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2014, 12:27 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/073907...&robot_redir=1

For technique
There are also two graded supplementary books of repertoire
This is will get you well on your way

I'm sure the pirates have made this easily available
But
Keep an artist fed ... So we can have new works published

Last edited by AlVal; 09-11-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlVal View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/073907...&robot_redir=1

For technique
There are also two graded supplementary books of repertoire
This is will get you well on your way

I'm sure the pirates have made this easily available
But
Keep an artist fed ... So we can have new works published
Thank you, I will look into this.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Pumping nylon is a good series for exploring classical technique. It will take you far.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommend a DVD for learning classical?

See my post in the PLAY folder. I am starting free online classical lessons at the Delcamp forum. Class starts next Weds so there is still time to sign up.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Cool Recommend a DVD for learning classical guitar

You could check out either Christopher Parkening or Esteban, as both have packages available. I haven't try either one, but they're available.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 09-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Douglas Neidt is a fabulous player and a cool guy (I've heard him perform, and have met him and his wife), and seems pretty down to earth too.

He has lots of free lessons up on his website, and a lot of additional ones that are available if you subscribe.

http://www.douglasniedt.com/
Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Classical Technique

I am not a Classical player, not even close. I do have a hy-bred guitar and like you I wanted to learn some about Classical playing, technique, etc.....

After a lot of researching, on-line, off-line, with Classical players, and reading a ton of reviews I arrived at Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant, personally since it is a book you can by in parts, my personal recommendation, the one that I have been very happy with is the "Complete Edition" it also comes with a CD & a DVD the ISBN for it is 10:0-7390-7158-0 additional ISBN is13:978-0-7390-7158-8

I play finger style I also wanted to learn a little regarding the Classical genre, the discipline, etc... If you search this book here on the site I believe you will find it is very highly thought of by both Classical and non-classical people. There also is a "Tab" edition, my personal 2 Cents on that, get the Complete Standard Edition. I am able to read music;however sorely lacking in the practice of it! and with the CD & a DVD being included, You are covered. Additionally the material is presented in a very pleasant manner with a small dash of humor added here and there. Usual cost, Approximately for the Complete Edition, Standard Notation, ball park around $45.00

Amazon currently:Pumping Nylon, "Complete Edition" Standard Notation, $42.27, plus a couple of dollars for shipping! Ask our classical friends and deeply devoted Finger style friends about the reputation of this book, the information in the book is essentially endless and 1 private lesson would cost one anywhere for an hour, between 50 and 90 dollars and with some folks, much more. Here you have at $42.00 probably material that would take one if they truly worked at it! Probably a good year at least to go through.

My suggestion! "Pumping Iron" Complete, Standard Notation, work on it for a few months then do deep research and find an excellent classical instructor, let the person know you have been working on the is book and would like to get together to get some one-on-one insights to clean up your technique and playing ability.

Cheers,
Brian

http://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Nylon-...ete+Edition%22
Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKENNA View Post
I am not a Classical player, not even close. I do have a hy-bred guitar and like you I wanted to learn some about Classical playing, technique, etc.....

After a lot of researching, on-line, off-line, with Classical players, and reading a ton of reviews I arrived at Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant, personally since it is a book you can by in parts, my personal recommendation, the one that I have been very happy with is the "Complete Edition" it also comes with a CD & a DVD the ISBN for it is 10:0-7390-7158-0 additional ISBN is13:978-0-7390-7158-8

I play finger style I also wanted to learn a little regarding the Classical genre, the discipline, etc... If you search this book here on the site I believe you will find it is very highly thought of by both Classical and non-classical people. There also is a "Tab" edition, my personal 2 Cents on that, get the Complete Standard Edition. I am able to read music;however sorely lacking in the practice of it! and with the CD & a DVD being included, You are covered. Additionally the material is presented in a very pleasant manner with a small dash of humor added here and there. Usual cost, Approximately for the Complete Edition, Standard Notation, ball park around $45.00

Amazon currently:Pumping Nylon, "Complete Edition" Standard Notation, $42.27, plus a couple of dollars for shipping! Ask our classical friends and deeply devoted Finger style friends about the reputation of this book, the information in the book is essentially endless and 1 private lesson would cost one anywhere for an hour, between 50 and 90 dollars and with some folks, much more. Here you have at $42.00 probably material that would take one if they truly worked at it! Probably a good year at least to go through.

My suggestion! "Pumping Iron" Complete, Standard Notation, work on it for a few months then do deep research and find an excellent classical instructor, let the person know you have been working on the is book and would like to get together to get some one-on-one insights to clean up your technique and playing ability.

Cheers,
Brian

http://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Nylon-...ete+Edition%22
Thanks, I have the book, but not the tab version. I was looking into getting a DVD that went into depth on classical. I may order it with the CD DVD and book with tab (if available). The book by itself was inexpensive, I'll just write it off, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical